Lifting for The Game They Play in Heaven (Third Log of Richmond)

I definitely want it. I'm doing band pullaparts right now.

I find I can do more quality work if I focus on one main lift per session.

185 SOHP for reps and a sub 300 bench?

Sounds like you need to need to bring up your triceps. I actually looked through your log and noticed that you are doing no direct work for the triceps while you do a lot of shoulder work. A pretty big gap in your training if you plan to press big weights IMO. Barbell extensions and board presses work really well for me.

Good luck

Last edited:
*is convinced RH's shoulder surgery involved something entirely unholy*

Sounds like you need to need to bring up your triceps. I actually looked through your log and noticed that you are doing no direct work for the triceps while you do a lot of shoulder work. A pretty big gap in your training if you plan to press big weights IMO. Barbell extensions and board presses work really well for me.

Good luck

Somewhere deep in my soul I appreciate your surly, combative, anti-intellectual ass. Thanks for the advice, dude. I definitely DON'T do any direct tricep work or direct chest work, which both hamper (or at least don't contribute to) my bench. I also just plain value the Strict Press more. I'll let you know what I come up with.

*is convinced RH's shoulder surgery involved something entirely unholy*

Separated Shoulder
Torn AC Cartilage
Tear in Labrum
Piece Torn OFF Labrum
Bruised Rotator Cuff
Spurring of Acromion
Burst Bursae
Torn Ligament (forget which, biceps?)

^ And what did they replace all that shit with? Fucking bull tendons, bison ligaments and freaking panther cartilage? Judging by your recent log entries, your shoulders seem to be getting strong as fuck!

You've inspired me to go for teh 205.

Good luck

I agree. When I SOHP'd 195 I was benching like 4x225 or something. I then asked Sohan for a bench routine and yesterday I did an easy 5x240--still very weak, but a huge improvement for me. I've been doing 4x5 bench, 1x~8 paused bench, 3x8 paused floor press, and 5x~10 rope tricep pushdowns. I never did any direct tricep work before, and now my bench is making consistent gains for the first time since I started training. I'm also getting bigger gunz :D

*I've found a more comfortable form though, so that's contributed as well.

I agree. When I SOHP'd 195 I was benching like 4x225 or something. I then asked Sohan for a bench routine and yesterday I did an easy 5x240--still very weak, but a huge improvement for me. I've been doing 4x5 bench, 1x~8 paused bench, 3x8 paused floor press, and 5x~10 rope tricep pushdowns. I never did any direct tricep work before, and now my bench is making consistent gains for the first time since I started training. I'm also getting bigger gunz :D

This sounds funny but I've never had a problem gaining weight or musclemass. I've gone from 181 my junior year of college to 220 my senior year without even trying and with a ton of running. Same thing in NZ. If I'm lifting I'm gaining weight, so right now I'm larger than I'm comfortable with really. Then I have 3 beers and I don't give a shit what I weigh.

What I'm thinking for triceps, since I need scapular stuff, too, is behind the back band press aparts with a heavy band. Imagine hercules pressing two walls off him that are closing in from either side. That's what I want. Essentially it's triceps and the upper back.

You guys are making me think I could be benching way more.

Also I'm noticing a strange relationship with my knee. Yesterday it hurt worse than it ever has in the last month, but I did shit with it anyway because I was pissed off. Today it feels GREAT.

Somewhere deep in my soul I appreciate your surly, combative, anti-intellectual ass. Thanks for the advice, dude. I definitely DON'T do any direct tricep work or direct chest work, which both hamper (or at least don't contribute to) my bench. I also just plain value the Strict Press more. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Not trying to tell you what to do but how did you come to that conclusion? I feel that they have helped me enormously. It helps to reduce your range of motion by reducing the need to flare the elbows -- with very strong triceps you can nearly press the bar in a straight line. All the pl'ers I have trained with, regardless of whether they trained in gear or completely raw, all emphasised to me that I had to have strong triceps if I wanted to press big weights.

The thing that makes me think you have weak triceps is I am benching 50lbs more than you, but our SOHP is pretty much the same. So it's pretty obvious to me it probably has a lot to do with your overall tricep strength.

Anyways I won't tell you what to do and your training is your business obviously, but maybe just keep this in the back of your mind.

Last edited:

Got that bench routine handy?

Not trying to tell you what to do but how did you come to that conclusion? I feel that they have helped me enormously. It helps to reduce your range of motion by reducing the need to flare the elbows -- with very strong triceps you can nearly press the bar in a straight line. All the pl'ers I have trained with, regardless of whether they trained in gear or completely raw, all emphasised to me that I had to have strong triceps if I wanted to press big weights.

The thing that makes me think you have weak triceps is I am benching 50lbs more than you, but our SOHP is pretty much the same. So it's pretty obvious to me it probably has a lot to do with your overall tricep strength.

Anyways I won't tell you what to do and your training is your business obviously, but maybe just keep this in the back of your mind.

5"?!?! That's a lot! (That's NOT what she said). I'm not buying it.

Not that I disagree with needing to have strong triceps. But not only do I not see how not flaring your elbows would reduce your ROM that much, but there are plenty of big benchers who do flare their elbows.

edit: I see you edited out the 5" part.

SDMF, I was just saying thank you. And that you are a big jerk. But my thanks was sincere.

Yay my favorite loving enemy is back! <3 <3 <3

Good Mornings

45x10
135x10
185x5
185x7
185x10

Barbell Shrugs

185x10
205x10
205x10
205x10

Barbell Situps
45x10
65x10
65x8

I'm beat. Three days in a row. My knees didn't give me much trouble. Even did a couple of deadlifts at 135 in oly shoes.

I could see how tucking more could bring the ROM down if you have a big body. The lower the bar, the higher the point of contact with the gut full of air. I don't have a big gut. My chest is higher than my gut even with an arch.

I edited out the 5" because I am not exactly sure how much it reduces the range of motion. I will say it can be a pretty big difference though. When you flare out the elbows the bar moves laterally (towards the rack), which increases the ROM. The shortest range of motion is a straight line. The weaker your triceps are in relation to your triceps, the earlier you will have to flare the elbows out, which means a longer range of motion and more stress on the shoulder joint and pec tie-ins.

To press maximal weights in a completely straight line would require enormous tricep strength and very few lifters are capable of that kind of form.

Last edited:
The weaker your triceps are in relation to your triceps

youre-totally-shitting-me.jpg

Bench Press

45x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
265x2
280x0
280x1 (+15lbs PR)

Pullups