Lifting for The Game They Play in Heaven (Third Log of Richmond)

Regarding pullups: I can safely declare a tie now.

Regarding my knee: I was weightbearing and walking about 16 hours after the operation. I took a walk around the block today and everything was fine, but it kinda swelled up a bit. Still not painful at all, which is weird considering how much work he did.

Dude, that's awesome. I'm sorry to hear shit was still fucked after the first surgery, but that's sweet they cleaned shit out and your doing better.

My recovery has been quick and I'm feeling good. I've also been taking cissus the entire time. I'm choosing to believe that the two are related.

Did an unweighted leg extension without pain for the first time since July today. Knees are fucking stupid.

Bench
135x10
175x10
175x10

Lat Pulldown
160x8
150x10
150x10
100x7

Rear Delt Flyes (3 second hold)
12s x10
12s x8
12s x6

Neck Harness
35x15
40x10

I have built some appreciable upper body mass while avoiding any pressure on the knee. When I hit 205 for 10 I'll begin a proper strength phase of 5 reps and cycle to a 5x3 or 8x3 6 weeks later. Still upper body while new surgery heals and new cartilage builds. My surgeon thinks I'll be squatting again in 3 months.

good to hear things are looking up for you

Thanks man. I haven't checked on your training in a bit. Prepare for an audit.

not much going on in my log, some lifting, some boxing and some chicks. Only recent real news is a drop off in deadlifting ability

That is depressing, midmo. What has caused this dropoff?

Goodnight, by the way.

Not really sure to be honest. Too many heavy singles and not enough rest is my guess. I was pulling 90% of goal weight for a few weeks then started to fall off. I deloaded this last session and will be doing just assistance for the next one. Then back to 90%s of something under my 1 rep for awhile to see where I am.

Depends. How many pullups did you get?

I just had my 2nd knee surgery.

New surgeon found and resected synovial tissue pinching (plica), resurfaced chondromalacia on kneecap and femur, found two fractures: one in kneecap and one in femur.

Was weightbearing and walking 16 hours after the operation.

Back on the couch! Haha. So he'll send me back to the good therapist with pictures of the findings and we'll go from there. Feel I've been training patience for the last year yall.... lifting is hard when you have to avoid all knee loading. Shit I've been doing:

Reverse Hyperextension: 3x15@180
Bench Press: 3x10@165*
Lat Pulldown: 3x10@145*
Prone DB Row: 3x10@40s
Prone Rear Flyes: 2x15@15s
External Rotations: 4x15@ 10lbs/red band
*going slow on both of these, as I'm preparing to return to sport in September of this year. I've got lots of time to build a cross-sectional base before I up the intensity.

What I'm going to START doing:

Following pulldowns with 3x15 of scapular depressions.
Adding Neck Harness extension work at the end of a session 2x15 3x/week.
Adding Wheel Rollouts to end of sessions 2x/week.

And it's worked. I'm 205lbs now and my upper back activation and balance is coming nicely. Shoulders feel much better, too.

I will keep you posted on my knee progress. Isn't it funny how the diagnoses change every month until they go in anyway and find completely different shit? Doc A: I swear there's no plica. MRI: no plica. Doc B: Hey there's a plica, I'll just slice that out. Great!

this is why i dont play rugby bro. lol

~Foz

Bench: hit 185x10

Prone DB Rows: 4 sets of 10, 40lbs/ea

Bike (yay!): 15 minutes

Walked up stairs without hand rail for the first time in seven months. I can't express how nuts that feels. I'm still a long way off, but it seems like things are healing as they're supposed to now. Hopeful. I wish I knew more about how these fractures happened and how to help them heal faster.

Hey Rich!

Just went through you entire(!) log. I've been having similar problems (knee surgery last June, still rehabbing, working on fixing shoulder & posture in the meantime), so it was interesting to read your story. Thanks for keeping a log of this and props for fighting on.

Best luck to you man! I hope you have a full recovery and come back stronger!

Hey dude. I got your PM, I just need a little time to respond.

I have been enjoying working on my upper body and am at this point now:

Overhead Press: 3x10@135, 1RM feels just south of 200...
Bench Press: 210x5 (just got a bench again last week, had gone without for a while... juding by my OHP numbers you can tell it's all shoulders)
Deadlift: 225x5 (probably stupid to begin lifting like this just yet, but I miss it)
Band Knee Extension: (23lb)@2x30, full ROM
Ran 2 miles.

Now I'm taking some time to address structural issues, such as my lack of rhomboids and lower traps. I've finally found some exercises I like and will be fixing my scapular stability, abdominal strength, et al, while I ease my knee back into squatting. Putting it thru a full ROM with resistance was an absolute trip.

Back