lifting for grappling?

B

blanko

i tried looking it up on the serch function but couldn't find one. can someone plz post a link?

I have no link, but the are alot of different schools of thought on this topic. I do all body weight exercises because that is what I find works the best for me. I know quite a few people who use heavy weight and do limited reps, that is great for building the explosiveness that you often need for escapes and transitions. It really depends on what kind of strength you're looking for as to what program is best suited for you.

I think just the basic exercises will work fine. Bench, Squat, deadlifts, curls, shit like that. Bench or squat may not make that much sense because you don't really use those motions. But roll with a new guy who benches 185, and roll with a new guy that can put up 300+, and you will notice a huge difference. There are other lifts you can do, and their have been threads about it before, maybe you could just alter your search a little bit? I'm no expert, just speaking from experience. Hope it helps a little bit.

i grapple 5-10 times a week. (sometimes 2x a day) and then lift only twice.

Your only as strong as your core so i suggest compound excersice to maximize your lifting.

Squats, Deadlifts, Goodmornings, Burpees, One good exercie is to wrap a gi around a tbar and use it to do tbar lifts with different grips. I do cardio on the bike before i lift, and stretch alot after the bike.. to improve flexibility in my back, hips.
I never lift heavy, i do high reps and have noticed a big difference.
But if your doing ot for bjj time would be better spent on the mat, but thats just my opinion.

blanko said:
i tried looking it up on the serch function but couldn't find one. can someone plz post a link?

The name of the game is power cleans.

power cleans, squats , deadlifts. this should b in the strength and conditionin forum tho

squats, bench presses, deads, chins, military presses, rows, o lifts

SwiftMcvay said:
I think just the basic exercises will work fine. Bench, Squat, deadlifts, curls, shit like that. Bench or squat may not make that much sense because you don't really use those motions.

you should DEFINATELY do squats, deadlifts, and benchpress. especially squats. Not only do they develop the back chain strength, hip power, and lower back strength; but they also , as a function of all the muscle fiber they incorporate, increase testosterone production. do your squats.

wrassler.

ps. do your squats, heavy and low.

squats, do them

squat.

BabyPhenom said:
squats, bench presses, deads, chins, military presses, rows, o lifts
Same exercises I would choose. Get in 2 to 3 good workouts a week with weights, you will not need any more than that. Spend the rest of the time in practice and doing mat work.

Kettlebells. Sledge. Deck-squats with weights. Med-ball= Self-violation with great results, at least it has for me.

strong man training
tyre flipping
keg lifting
grip work
deadlifts
squats
power cleans
good mornings

Back