Lifting for grappling or not?

I do Randy's bar workout a few times a week.

8x bent over rows
8x upright rows
8x military presses
8x good mornings
8x right leg forward squats
8x left leg forward squats
8x squat + behind the head presses
8x romanian deadlifts

All that without putting the bar down.
Three to five sets.
If you can't get through three to five, remove some weight.

Enjoyable, quick, effective.

If in need of a visual, here is a link to Randy performing that circuit:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...951&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Not slow. Not bulky. Obviouly lifts.

GSP.jpg

When I think of someone who obviously lifts, GSP doesn't come to mind. He has a lithe, athletic physique to me.

You don't look like that by not lifting.

When I think of someone who obviously lifts, GSP doesn't come to mind. He has a lithe, athletic physique to me.

I really dont think you understand that lifting does not equal Arnold Schwarzenegger. Any result you can acheive with calisthenics you can acheive with free weights. Plus, I've actually seen a video of him doing dumbell presses and snatches.

Also, if you dont want to lift, and your goal is primarily conditioning, you should really check this guy's website out...

http://www.rosstraining.com

I've found some success with "Core" exercises.

For example doing russian twists with a 20lb weight and hip dips with a 45lb weight, a good core gave me the opportunity to get my guard back, and it really helps with butterfly guard.

At 14 your brother is fine to start lifting. The key to lifting for fighting is explosive power as has already been mentioned. Personally, I am big into Olympic style lifting these days and I haven't been this explosive since I was in high school. If you want to try O lifts, go to www.danjohn.org and download his ebook and watch some videos. There are also good videos on the crossfit site which I think as already been posted.

Also this guy writes a column for MMAweekly which has some great stuff people can to from a home gym.
http://www.workingclassfitness.com/

My personal workout consist of the following exercisesL
Power Snatch (best exercise name ever)
Power Clean and Jerk
One handed rows
Pullups
pushups
Swing snatch performed with a dumbell
Various ab workouts
This one I don't have a name for but I grab a plate and work it in a circle from the front of my body and around my head. The Militech boys all do it and it is a great tap workout.I don't do them all at once, I mix them up and sometime throw in a variation or just a different related exercise to keep it from getting stale.

I've heard of these being called "Halos"

Jeff Monson definitely benefits from lifting. Sure, he may have some cardio issues (240 lbs at 5'8" with very little fat is a lot of oxygen-hungry muscle to be carrying), and I'm not saying that every grappler should aim to be his size, but his monstrous strength certainly gives him an advantage.

By the way, the main difference between bodybuilding and pure strength training is really how you eat. Bodybuilders train to provide a growth stimulus, then eat as much as possible for that growth to occur. Strength athletes will often moderate their caloric intake to stay within a certain weight class while simply training to get stronger. Effective training for bodybuilding isn't that different from effective strength training, though.

It's all about whole body exercises!

I've been on swings, snatches, cleans, overhead squats etc etc for a few weeks now and feel great. i'm not gonna bother with something like a 5x5 any time soon, it would leave me too burnt out for skill training.

please no.

~Foz

you're too nice Foz, forget the please just NO! As for the OP just read through the FAQs in the S&P forum as well as read through the threads in the S&P forum, even if you think it might be biased it's good information and alot of it answers your questions

Back