Lifting for fun, Recovering from injury.

rickdog

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey gents, Its been a while since I posted my workouts online. Heck, it's been a while since I've lifted consistently due to nagging injuries. I am busy with a new job in Real Estate but the work is a far cry from working for a moving company full time (trust me, it takes it's toll and helps with compounding injuries). Anyway, as many of you know, a little over a month ago I tore my pectarolis minor, so the doctor says. The pain is mostly gone and I am ready to start lifting again.

I am not going to have a program set in stone. I want one day dedicated to Oly lifts and Squats, another day to Chest and tris, and the third day to be dedicated to Back, Hams, Traps and Bis. I will do some grip work on my days off. I will also be throwing in some ab work at the end of some of these workouts as I feel necessary. ( I hate working abs, but I know i have to.)

1/25/06
Clean and jerks
135x3x3
155x3
185x1x1
205x1x1

Hang Cleans (Just took out the Jerk)
225x1x5
245x1x3
255x1x1

Front Squats (Butt to Grass)
135x1x5
185x1x5
225x1x5
275x1x1 I could have done more but I decided I wanted to save a bit for back squats

Back Squats
275x1x5
315x1x5
365x1x3
405x1x1 Felt nice and easy, again, I dont want to push to hard as I am just coming back. I came out of the whole so fast that the wait actually bounced up off my shoulders onto my neck, which sucked a bit.
315x1x5

Finished off with some curls, which I am convinced help in grappling

Neck, I laid on a bench, back down, with my head off the back and placed a 45lb plate on my head and did reps 45x5x10 then I would finish the rep by coming all the way up into a crunch postion, might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

Calves, just some seated raises. These (I am hoping) will help my Power Cleans.

Anyway, that's it form here. Im working my way back up to where I was. Hopefully It won't take long. I actually did better than I expected.

Please feel free to give me your thoughts, feedback, criticism, whatever. It will be much appreciated.

God Bless and Thanks guys.

Another quick note:
My cardio will be based on BJJ ( I am going to try out a new school this week, 2 weeks free). I will do bag work maybe one or 2 times per week and I will try to run sprints atleast once per week if not twice.

My grip work will consist of plate pinches, The Infamout RT, and My COC 1 and 2.

Awesome, brother! I will be reading your log intently ... and also with amusement, in a sense that ... no matter how hard you train your so-called "grip", you will always have a girly-baby-man grip. Oh, yeah, uh, praise the Lord. :D

Listen, I will come out of retirement, and on my first attempt, bury you with the RT. Do you understand! I said DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME! Anyway, thanks for posting and I'm glad that you will be keeping me motivated.

1/26/06
I don't normally like to lift two consecutive days but because of my busy scheduling and traveling from one place to another my options are limited.

Today I worked my injured chest, I took it easy but I still felt very weak. I worked chest and tris and did some supplementary shrugs at the end.

Incline press
135x1x10
185x1x5
225x1x5 felt heavy dang it, this was easy pre injury, probably shouldn't have pushed it anyway
185x1x8
135x3x5 with 30 sec rest, did these dynamicaly

Decline press (exercise i was injured on, felt very weak on these, felt awkward but i guess a month and half will do that to you
135x1x10
185x1x3
225x1x2
245x1x2
255x1x1
185x5x3 again, 30 second rest done dynamically

tricep extentions x 4
overhead extentions x4
did a few dips for tris

Shrugs want to get these good to help with Oly lifts
135x1x15
225x1x10
315x1x8
405x1x8
Traps were a bit sore from doing cleans.

Well thats it. The workout took about an hour and 10 I did not take much time between sets.

Tommorow, I hope to have some time do some lite bag work and rest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Took today off, sore as anything.. I will work my neck by doing bridges and work abs, but I will take it easy and that will be it for today.

Good to see you back. Your routines look like a lot of volume. How long do they take?

Surprisingly I am out of the gym in about 1 1/2 hours at the most. I normally take 30 second to 1 min rest between sets.

rickdog said:
1/26/06
I don't normally like to lift two consecutive days but because of my busy scheduling and traveling from one place to another my options are limited.

Today I worked my injured chest, I took it easy but I still felt very weak. I worked chest and tris and did some supplementary shrugs at the end.

Incline press
135x1x10
185x1x5
225x1x5 felt heavy dang it, this was easy pre injury, probably shouldn't have pushed it anyway
185x1x8
135x3x5 with 30 sec rest, did these dynamicaly

Decline press (exercise i was injured on, felt very weak on these, felt awkward but i guess a month and half will do that to you
135x1x10
185x1x3
225x1x2
245x1x2
255x1x1
185x5x3 again, 30 second rest done dynamically

tricep extentions x 4
overhead extentions x4
did a few dips for tris

Shrugs want to get these good to help with Oly lifts
135x1x15
225x1x10
315x1x8
405x1x8
Traps were a bit sore from doing cleans.

Well thats it. The workout took about an hour and 10 I did not take much time between sets.

Tommorow, I hope to have some time do some lite bag work and rest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

HA! You feel weak?! 405 squats and 255 decline for first time, post-injury? Dude, that's a lot of weight, esp. for a post-injury. Seriously, though, brother ... don't push it too hard too soon, y'know what I mean? Don't wanna see you get injured again, brother. Careful!:icon_chee

Thanks for the advice. I will try not to let my ego get in the way. That would be incredibly stupid at this point. Anyway, i'm heading off to the gym now. I will post my workoukt later.
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Graedy, it is intense. By the end of the workout I feel like puking. Although, I must say, my body is adapting a bit more each workout.

I will try not to let my ego get in the way.

So hard. So very very hard.

I've been having to physical hit myself on leg days to stop from moving some actual weight.

That being said. It is worth it to get healthy.

405 shugs? wtf? Can you actually do a real shrug with that much? I've never tried to shrug more than 275 because I always notice I start to put body english into it. Dunno why but I can't help it.

1/29/06
Today I did a variety of lifts. I kind of go by how i'm feeling on that particular day. Anyway, here goes.

Lat pulldowns x 5 sets

Bent over Rows
135x1x10
225x1x5
275x4x3 these were fairly strict reps.

Overhead squats
barx10
95x5x5 I love these but they are definatly hard. I went all the way down on these

Shrugs
135x1x20
225x1x12
315x1x10
405x1x8
495x1x5

Leg Curls
5 sets x 6-10 reps

hammer Curl and press
45x5x5 these were supersetted with seated calve raises,

Seated Calve raises,
worked up to 4 plates x 8

Finished with some neck bridges and stretching
Total gym time 1 1/2 hours

Now I will probably take 2 - 4 days off due to crazy work schedule. Maybe I will slip in some bag work on those off days.

TheNerdKing said:
So hard. So very very hard.

I've been having to physical hit myself on leg days to stop from moving some actual weight.

That being said. It is worth it to get healthy.

405 shugs? wtf? Can you actually do a real shrug with that much? I've never tried to shrug more than 275 because I always notice I start to put body english into it. Dunno why but I can't help it.
Funny you ask about the shrugs. sometimes I lean forward a bit and pull but I actually had a powerlifter at my gym spot me today to see if I was doing clean reps and he said i used my full range of motion with no leg drive. On my set with 495 I did use some leg drive for my last 2 reps. I work my traps alot, hoping It will have some carryover to my deads and Oly lifting.

Hope your injury heals up well. Let it rest, I had to let my chest rest for nearly 2 months and I know it was horrible. You will be better off in the long run.

My traps are absolutely burnt today. I will do some lite, and I mean lite bag work today, just to break a sweat but that is it. Also maybe some skipping rope but nothing more. I have today off so I figure I better get in the workouts while I can. If anything exciting happens, I will fill you in later.

Well now that my pec is almost 100% I managed to reinjure my back on Tuesday night. I got in a car accident and was spun around twice on the second time around coliding again with the same car. Hopefully this is just a temporary ache and the Chiropractor will be able to adjust my back for me. I have some nice pain shooting from my siatic nerve.

Hope to be back to lifting soon.

Damn it's like someone is trying to test your will to weight train.

Good luck with the recovery.

Ted-P said:
Damn it's like someone is trying to test your will to weight train.

Good luck with the recovery.
Maybe so. I'd like to think that without the weight training I would have been injured worse. It was a hard hit to send my car spinning 540deg.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll be back soon, very soon hopefully.

Good to hear you made it out of that shit alive and, for the most part, healthy.

Was the other guy drunk or something?

Rest up and get well dude.

495 shrug? Holy fuck!

No, the other guy was sober too. The weather was terrible that night. It was freezing rain and sleet and visibility was horrible and the roads where very icy.

NK, alot of guys on here can handle more on the shrug than that. I have trained my traps hard for years because of wrestling. You need it to stabalize the neck. Plus, as I stated earlier, I want strong traps to help assist me in Deads and Oly lifts.

Back