Lifting for BJJ

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Mike93, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Mike93

Mike93 White Belt

Hey guys,

I'm looking to start BJJ in 4-5 months time (busy with the CA program atm which I complete in Dec). I've usually do muscle hypertrophy workouts i.e 3/4sets of 8-12 reps for most of my workouts. How should I modify my routine for BJJ? Should I use heavier weight, lower reps for compound movements before moving to isolation work? and what other exercises should I be doing apart from the normal compounds?

2. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Check out the FAQ section of the forum. It has a plethora of information and links to programs that will fit your needs.

3. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

KK's advice is excellent. I will, however, add some general points of my own,

1) Hypertrophy has it's place in most Strength Training Programs, but it should be used sparingly. Unless you wish to compete in a Bodybuilding contest, the majority of your training should be on the big compound Lifts; Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Cleans etc. Reps should be kept fairly low, around 1 - 5 and the weight should be heavy.

2) Lose the ego. Start very light and make sure you can perform a Lift with good technique. Add weight slowly. As a Novice you will make quicker progress than someone who has been Lifting for a long time. That doesn't mean you should try to add 20 kilos to your Bench in one week.

3) Set your priorities: if you wish to focus on BJJ, then the bulk of your time should be spent on the Mats. Everything else - Strength training, Conditioning, Stretching - is there to make you a better BJJ fighter. They are not an end in themselves. If you have to choose between Lifting and a BJJ class, hit the Mats. Two heavy sessions of Strength Training per week should be enough to make significant progress, while allowing time to recover and train BJJ itself.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015