lifting cycles for MT/JJ

yomon

Green Belt
Reaction score
need some input here. what lifting week on/off cycle would you say best fits someone who's main focus is MMA. I went three weeks this time before needing a weeks break from wieghts, but i was thinking with my schedual that 2 weeks followed by rest on the third week might be best because this week i'm totaly wrecked and it's forcing me to miss some classes.

For classes i try to make all 3 hours 4 days a week.

for lifting i do max work 2 times a week first day is

deadlift, bent over row, and overhead press.

second day is squat, heavy abs, and pistols.

bodywieght exercisses every day are a given considering it's part of the classes. Any ideas?

Once a week lifting involving failure?

for the most part yess because i don't know how to limit myself. But if i feel worn down i'll do it dynamicly with far less wieght for more reps.

EDIT: actualy let me change that answer a bit, i go in increasing wieght till i can't get the bar off the ground, then i drop down in weight ti'll i can't do anymore, and sometimes i'll continue to drop more wieght and keep going. it's made me explode with new muscle but it's really hard to recover from.

lifting 2 times seems a bit too much.

I would involve muscle and cns failure that would take quite awhile to recover since you can only lift once a week at max.Hypertrophy training for now doesn't seem too bad either.

what bodyweight exercises? what does your training sked look like?

yomon said:
for the most part yess because i don't know how to limit myself. But if i feel worn down i'll do it dynamicly with far less wieght for more reps.

EDIT: actualy let me change that answer a bit, i go in increasing wieght till i can't get the bar off the ground, then i drop down in weight ti'll i can't do anymore, and sometimes i'll continue to drop more wieght and keep going. it's made me explode with new muscle but it's really hard to recover from.

So your basically doing drop sets.

I would say your trying to rush things. Visible adaption via hypertrophy and the constituent muscular adaption is pretty rapid, the underlying cns adaption is slow. It depends what your going for I guess, what time frame you have to play with and if you have to stay in a weight range.

But if its working for YOU have at it, I can't say anything if thats what you want.

Back