Lifting belt size?

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hi, wondering what size lifting belt to get? I'm looking at this one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-LIFTI...TF8&qid=1400165607&sr=8-7&keywords=inzer+belt

(Yes, I know I'm going to be told to get an Inzer, but honestly I could use the 40-60 price difference still in my wallet. Probably shouldn't even be buying this from a financial standpoint.)

I recognize the belt as one I've used at my old college gym and it worked well. I had that one 3 holes from the tightest setting and I liked the one with the shorter support in the small of the back of the two.

Options for sizes are Medium, 31-37 inches, and small 24-30 inches. Pretty sure a large would be too big. I'm 5'7 1/2", 180 pounds working to get back to 165 while keeping my 380 squat and 450 dead. My waist size is 32", but was down to 30" when I was in the low 160s. Is circumference around your middle, when tightened, about the same as waist? Bigger? Smaller?

Anyone know more than me about how these are sized? Thanks. I'm pretty sure Medium but want to double check before buying anything.

Don't buy that belt. You want a belt that's the same height all the way around, and no padding.

If you buy the right belt, you'll probably never have to buy another. So wait until you can afford to buy a quality belt. In other words "Buy nice, don't buy twice".

I love my Rogue Econ.

I love my Rogue Econ.

Heck yes. A great belt for a great price.

U.S. $49
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-econ-weightlifting-belt.php

Canada $70
http://www.roguecanada.ca/rogue-econ-weightlifting-belt.php

Mine was about $85 delivered to my door (well my office's front desk) and took about a week. Definitely save your money and buy something better than that crappy belt from Amazon.

For sizing, measure around your belly button since that's roughly where the belt will go.

Well I come here for advice so I'll take it. Not getting the belt. I agree with the words "Buy nice, don't buy twice," but right now I don't have the money to buy nice so I'm looking for something to get me through until I start my job in January (Currently on an engineering internship, but I have 1 more semester of tuition to pay). I can definitely squat, dead, and ohp a touch more with a belt, and feel more comfortable progressing past my old numbers with one.

With the belt, is the biggest thing you hated about the one I posted that fact that it had a taller area in back, and one equisized all the way around are the way to go? That raised lumbar support (whatever you call it) is how all the ones I used in highschool and college were and seemed to work fine for me, but that defintiely doesn't mean it was correct

The problem with the one posted that does fit my price range for the temporary belt is that there are only 2 sizes available, small and Xlarge....Otherwise I would have grabbed that one. Anyone know of other usuable belts in the $20 price range? Like I said, this is just so I can lift for a summer and another semester. Past semesters I had been using the school belts like the one I posted so if I wait to buy until I can actually afford a nice one I'll just be back to using those after a summer beltless

No, they both suck.

By an Inzer. Lever or double prong. Well worth the price. My old Inzer has been handed down to a newer lifter and is older than some of the people who post here.

If you don't have the money to buy a nice belt before January, wait, don't waste your money.

If you don't have the money to buy a nice belt before January, wait, don't waste your money.

So your advice would be to lift beltless for the summer? I just feel that'll really slow my squat and sohp.

Never thought of looking at ebay. I did check craigslist for used ones but didn't find anyhing. Then just googled and amazonned away. It says belt size Small, but their small goes up to 32". I'll measure this evening constricted around my midsection as I would be, and if it fits I think this is the one I'll be going with. Any objections from others?

And thank you all for your help. As mentioned, I'd love to get a good one but just can't justify $80-100. Shit, I can't justify $20 but I feel I'll feel like I'm wasting my time, or at least not getting the most out of it, if I don't have something.

So your advice would be to lift beltless for the summer? I just feel that'll really slow my squat and sohp.

If money is so tight you can't afford a good belt, you shouldn't be wasting money on a belt you'll only replace in January. A belt is a great training tool, but people do lift huge weights beltless.

Alternatively, consider if there's a place to cut back, and put that money towards a belt. Any indulgences? Drinking? Meals out? Coffee?

If money is so tight you can't afford a good belt, you shouldn't be wasting money on a belt you'll only replace in January. A belt is a great training tool, but people do lift huge weights beltless.

Alternatively, consider if there's a place to cut back, and put that money towards a belt. Any indulgences? Drinking? Meals out? Coffee?

Really no. Only indulgences was paying $250 to train at Roufusport for the summer (which I think is a damn good deal for the quality of coaches and partners) and paying $90 to lift at a gym, when my work has a place downstairs with machines and cardio equipment, but I wanted/needed a real weight room

I just know I'll have to write a check for $11,000 dollars in August, and right now there's $4,000 in my bank account. I should make it with this gig, but it'll be close. Plus my college is in a small town and I haven't been able to find part-time work any other year so I'm not expecting being able to find something this. Gonna have to live off what I have saved up, or write less of a tuition check and take out another freaking student loan.

But maybe I don't need a belt, even if I was used to and liked the shitty ones hanging on a hook for community use at my college gym.

I wouldn't beat my kids with that belt.

Are you referring to the first belt I posted, or the Rouge Econ on Ebay another user recommended me to?

Really no. Only indulgences was paying $250 to train at Roufusport for the summer (which I think is a damn good deal for the quality of coaches and partners) and paying $90 to lift at a gym, when my work has a place downstairs with machines and cardio equipment, but I wanted/needed a real weight room

I just know I'll have to write a check for $11,000 dollars in August, and right now there's $4,000 in my bank account. I should make it with this gig, but it'll be close. Plus my college is in a small town and I haven't been able to find part-time work any other year so I'm not expecting being able to find something this. Gonna have to live off what I have saved up, or write less of a tuition check and take out another freaking student loan.

But maybe I don't need a belt, even if I was used to and liked the shitty ones hanging on a hook for community use at my college gym.

Are you referring to the first belt I posted, or the Rouge Econ on Ebay another user recommended me to?

The first abomination.

Get one from best belts.

An thanks Eric brown for tellin us all yet again that your belt is older than some people here.....never saw you post that before.

Back