Lifting and other training.

M

Mattt

I'm wondering when i should lift weights to fit in with my normal training.

I box 3x per week... for 1.5hours at a time. Usually monday, tuesday and thursday. I also do Judo twice a week for 2hours at a time, on tuesday and thursday immediately after boxing (it's in the same building and one class starts as the other finishes).

I'm hoping to dedicate myself to the 5x5 program for a good 16 weeks and i want to make it a priority. I'm pretty weak right now.

I'm pretty used to the training in boxing and judo, i'm not worried about lifting affecting my performance in those... i'm more worried about those affecting my lifting gains. I know it would probably be ideal to stop boxing/judo training for the duration, but i want to do it as much as is practical.

What would be the best days for me to lift on? Should i limit my other training or can i get away with it? Any other thoughts?

Wednesday and Friday.
Just make sure you eat like a horse and get enough sleep.

wednesday and Friday or Wednesday/Friday and a day on the weekend should work. Eat enough, and eat right, make sure you eat after you workout heavy, too.

You could try a 5x5 program but modified for 2x a week. Essentially one day will be a volume day (5x5 with constant submaximal load) for bench and rows and an intensity day (work up to max set of 5) for squats. The other day will be an intensity day for bench and rows and a volume day for squats.

You could try a 5x5 program but modified for 2x a week. Essentially one day will be a volume day (5x5 with constant submaximal load) for bench and rows and an intensity day (work up to max set of 5) for squats. The other day will be an intensity day for bench and rows and a volume day for squats.

I'm not a fighter and don't train boxing or anything, but think this is a good idea.

Or there's a 2-day split in the FAQ that works pretty good on a 5x5 setup, too. Look at my log if ya wanna see how I've been doin' it (I have modified it lately to get some unilateral work, but that's not necessary, especially startin' out),

What would you guys recommend if i wanted to stick to the 3x a week lifting... like i said, i really want to make it a priority... what would i have to sacrafice?

Back