lift,work,and study..

lion paw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do any of you lift,do schooling,and work?If so,does the busy schedule affect your gains?Furthermore, how do you balance you schedule out.

Very few people on this forum get paid to lift. So yes, most have jobs and/or school.

IMO, if you have a very busy schedule & multiple activities, then you need to give yourself permission to be flexible & you need to prioritize. For example, I practice BJJ, I lift & I compete in Scottish Highland Games. If I only have an hour today to train, which do I pick? I have to prioritize & have a plan for why I'm prioritizing.

I can also have a plan to lift on Mon, Wed, Fri, but if I can't lift on Monday due to business travel, kids activities, whatever, then I'll get it in on Tuesday. Might not be ideal lifting back-to-back but its better than completely missing a workout.

I'll also add that when I was going to college, I was triple majoring in Computer Engineering, Comp Sci & Math, I played on the volleyball team & I worked for a local computer company as well. Oh, and I was married & had a kid on the way.

I thought I was busy then. Reality is I have less free time now, I just do a better job managing it.

I work a full-time and two part-time jobs, and have a wife and kids.

Prioritize. If you have to cut something out, try cutting out some of the bullshit that people excuse as part of their "social life."

This x1000

I wouldn't say I have a terribly busy schedule especially the past week cause of vacation but starting january for example I'm going to have school, work, volunteer work and still try to maintain a social life (and dick around on sherdog). Even with all of this I still manage to train 5 days a week if not occasionally more often. It's all about priorities. Many times I've had to sacrifice going out with friends or watching the game or whatever to make time to go train because it's something I feel is important.

I think every single person on this forum lifts, and manages some form of work or schooling. And some are pretty successful at lifting, or at whatever sports they engage in.

I'll also add that when I was going to college, I was triple majoring in Computer Engineering, Comp Sci & Math, I played on the volleyball team & I worked for a local computer company as well. Oh, and I was married & had a kid on the way.

I thought I was busy then. Reality is I have less free time now, I just do a better job managing it.

I somehow always knew..

Full time job
Full time student
MMA
BJJ
Judo
Reservist in the US Military
Part time job doing private MMA lessons

It is all about how you prioritize your life.

work mon-fri 7-4:30, school tue and thu 5:30-8:30, overtime usually every saturday 7-4:30. before this job started i had the same schedule plus working a couple nights per week and working 2sundays a month.

still make it to the gym at least 4 days a week. you've just got to set your schedule and prioritize your time. stick to it and make it a routine.

Full-time job (80+ hours a week at the station or on-call)
Full-time student (all by correspondence at this point)
Volunteer Search & Rescue
Lots of outdoor activity like hiking and skiing
S&C about 5-6 hours a week

Time management is your best friend, and a home gym. I can work on my school work while I'm at home on-call or at the station. As my schedule is all over the map, having a home gym really makes training convenient.

all the people in this thread make me look very lazy. and i own 3 businesses.
i will quietly exit now....

but seriously, its prioritizing, i dont drink or party or any of that shit. tbh, i had the MOST free time in college, by far

all the people in this thread make me look very lazy. and i own 3 businesses.
i will quietly exit now....

but seriously, its prioritizing, i dont drink or party or any of that shit. tbh, i had the MOST free time in college, by far[/QUOT

3 businesses.damn.that's cool.

hardest thing is finding time to eat and eat plenty

Full time job and full time grad school (just now graduated) at the same time; I just lifted right after work, treated it as an appointment as I know once I got home and into my studies and family life, excuses will set in about going to the gym.

Back