1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Lift but don't eat??

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by sang12345, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sang12345 Guest

hey guys...
    ok so I just started lifting recently..

and today I ate a good amount of food. I'm gonna go lift at about 8 o clck or so... thing is I'm trying to cut or at least maintain fat ratio so I don't want to eat after my workout... what do u do in these situations? it's not an everyday occurrence but today it somehow ended it up like this...
    can I just skip eating afterwards today? or I as thinking about just eating a banana... will that somewhat curb detrimental effects?
    thanks

2. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Dude, eat something. Do not lift and starve yourself. Absolutely 100% do not do that.

3. samb867 Yellow Belt

I've been lifting a couple of months now and you know what I've found? The muscle I'm building burns fat better than any diet. I'm on above 3,000 calories a day and I'm still losing fat because my shiny new muscle mass is consuming those calories even at rest.

Lift heavy, eat big. Your body fat ratio will go in the right direction unless you eat absolute garbage.

4. lanp3960 White Belt

Eat. I spent so much time cutting weight/fat for competition that I'd given up heavy lifting and was eating like a rabbit. Starting lifting heavy again a few weeks ago, have packed on ~8 lbs but people keep asking if I've lost weight. Unless you have to make a certain weight sometime soon, make yourself a sandwich.

5. ozzie Brown Belt

Always eat before and after a workout. If you are eating a good amount of calories then feel free to cut some out of your other meals, but don't cut them pre/post workout. Good luck.

6. Lead /Led/ like an old Nellie Platinum Member

If you stick to a good lifting routine, you should be able to eat well. You will pack on muscle and slowly loss the fat. Starving yourself never works. Your body adjusts itself when it notices it is eating less. Thats why most diets never work. It takes discipline in exercise and also healthy eating to experience weight loss.

7. sang12345 Guest

got it!
    thanks for all the input...

i just finished and ate something haha

8. Keiron This gun's for hire

Eat, and don't eat just a banana. You need something with protein post-workout

9. JT RIPPER Black Belt

i always at least do a shake before bedtime...depending on my "phase" i will adjust the amount of carbs in in, but you do need a bit of carbs post workout to replenish the glycogen that you burned off...or you will feel burned out the next day

10. Ryo Black Belt

Thats not completely true. I do obviously agree that when lifting weights u need to eat for sure. No question about it.

But losing weight is a matter of calories in VS Calories out. If u consume very little calories you will have to lose weight. A good diet is the best way to change body composition.

11. Kennethguye Yellow Belt

dude the post workout meal is one of the most important, you will lose muscle if you dont eat your carbs and protein