Liera Jr || Winning Full Guard Techniques || Review

nodferatu

Drilling in the south
@Brown
Reaction score
This video review is on Michael Liera Jr.'s BJJ instructional titled "Winning Full Guard Techniques" and shows the closed guard moves that helped him win the 2014 Lightweight Brown Belt World Championship. Sample Technique from the DVD at the end of the review!!!

You can purchase this DVD for $20 at LIERAJR.com. Be sure to sign up to his mailing list on the site as well for exclusive videos!

[YT]cjX2AcjYEhI[/YT]

Let us know your thoughts on this format for Instructional reviews. We always thought that BJJLegends does great reviews on instructionals but you can't really see what's going on when they're describing it. So we decided to show you as well as give you a full technique from the videos to fully grasp the instructional and to weigh your thoughts on whether it's worth it or not.

Nice review. It was helpful as I was considering this as a purchase. I like to play a lot of closed guard so this is right up my alley. Format of the review is good. I wouldn't change anything.

are you using some type of voice deepener?
i have the dvd and it is a pretty good tight dvd. nice to see some closed guard. michael perez from atos has a nice closed guard too

are you using some type of voice deepener?
i have the dvd and it is a pretty good tight dvd. nice to see some closed guard. michael perez from atos has a nice closed guard too

Nah man, that's all me :icon_lol:

Your review was helpful to me. I did get this and so here is my review

pro
- cheap price, outstanding value.
- shows a coherent gameplan
- Nice little commentary of Liera using the moves in action
- moves are time-tested moves, no low percentage moves

cons
- not that long, so not as detailed as some resources.
- average production value

Overall:

Video is around 1/2h long, 10 techniques. The techniques go together well,and that is a strength of the DVD. You have some options from 2 on 1, attacking omoplata with Williams guard if he doesn't let you break. Then some options from when he tries to open attacking with Xande (flower) sweep if he's sitting and a handstand sweep variation or omo if he stands. and finally a technique you can use if he stands off the 2 on 1.

Overall I liked the progression - opponent uses a different strategy, you have a different counter. Explanations are fine. This really shows Liera's roots with UniJJ as this is more Saulo/Xande stuff than Atos stuff. The moves are time tested stuff, no fringe moves. The moves are typical moves you might learn at white/blue and really get good at purple or so.

At 30 minutes (plus ~15 or so for talking through the moves) , it gets into move progressions, but not nitty gritty troubleshooting that you'd find on the mendesbros site (for example), or Braulio or bjjlibrary. There are a few tips here and there, but the gameplan is more macro than micro.

But, at $25 including shipping, it's a great value. It's a modern DVD reflecting a real resisting opponent. Probably my favorite closed guard resources are Braulio's site, followed by Braulio's CD's, then bjjlibrary. Caio's site is nice too for closed guard. But those can be more expensive. This is definitely worth getting and you'll learn stuff off it for sure.

Last edited:
Back