Libertarian and paleocon non-interventionism: The vote-winner for the GOP?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by TomIL, Aug 6, 2015.

1. TomIL

TomIL White Belt

All potential GOP candidates for 2016 will be neocons and supporters of big Government. They will drag us into more foreign wars, expand the role of the state, spy on us and continue to weaken our civil liberties. This raises the question if there will ever be a non-interventionist, libertarian, small state Republican President of the USA. Ron Paul is the best Republican, but he will not run for president and his son Rand has betrayed almost all foreign policy positions of his father. The US needs change.

2. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Yes.

No. The Republican party has never really held this position, at least not since the 30s. There are parts of government they'd like to cut, but there are also parts they'd like to expand.

3. Denter

Denter Silver Belt

To be fair, and I'm not white knighting for the guy because he seems like a chameleon, but doesn't Rand have non-interventionist positions?

4. Black Blood

Black Blood Purple Belt

Modern Republicans all say they want small government, but what they mean is they want small government in the areas the want/don't like and big government in the areas they want/like.

5. ucunc156

ucunc156 Silver Belt

I don't trust a word rand says, unlike his father. I think he is far more of an extremist and not a libertarian like TS asks.

6. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Somewhat. Big Israel supporter, opposes the Iran deal (essentially supporting war with Iran), opposes foreign aid, sort of implied that he'd invade North Korea (rather than trying to influence their actions, he's indicated we should say something similar to what God told Abraham in "Highway 61 Revisited"--"You can do what you want, Abe, but the next time you see me comin' you better run"). Also wants more military funding.

7. Denter

Denter Silver Belt

Well okey doke then, shows how much I've been following all of this.

8. Jack V Savage

Well, he speaks out against "neocons" (a virtually meaningless insult in politics today) and talks the non-interventionist talk. He's certainly less of an interventionist than the rest of the party.

9. Uchi Mata

Like almost everyone with presidential ambitions on both sides of the aisle, he's jettisoned any 'convictions' which stand to harm his appeal to his base. At some level I think he probably is a bit of an isolationist, but that's not the line he's been spitting since he decided he wanted to be president.

10. Jack V Savage

I think if (insert party) would embrace (all of my favorite policy ideas), it would win huge support from the public and produce great results. How about it, guys?

11. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Racist

12. Uchi Mata

I think you could insert either party, if they embraced all of my favorite policy ideas :icon_chee

13. Denter

Denter Silver Belt

haha lost it! :icon_chee

14. Edgar Allan Hoe

Edgar Allan Hoe Black Belt

Rand is more of a Politician than his Father. He would rather be liked (or not hated) by the GOP than to hold firm on his values. He wants to make it farther than his Father did and it's hard to blame him for that. If you do, then you blame virtually every Politician in this race aside from Trump and Carson.