Liberal NYT's fires female executive editor after she asked for equal pay

No, the point there is that IF that is the reason (as some have suggested), that is really bad. However, I don't know if it is and I'm not commenting on stuff I don't know about. Also, if it's even possible, there should be worker protections, even if that's not a relevant issue in this case.

okay, I must have misread you somewhere.
I would agree that worker protections would be needed if simply seeking counsel deemed grounds for termination (how a company would know that somebody was simply seeking counsel and what the reasons for them seeking counsel is beyond me).

okay, I must have misread you somewhere.
I would agree that worker protections would be needed if simply seeking counsel deemed grounds for termination (how a company would know that somebody was simply seeking counsel and what the reasons for them seeking counsel is beyond me).

Cool.

BTW, Sulzberger is now saying that Abramson was making 10% more than Keller at the time she left.

https://twitter.com/ravisomaiya/status/467766385104261120

If true (always important to put that in on this issue), that confirms my earlier point that it shouldn't be taken for granted that she would make less than Keller just because the paper was moving sharply in the wrong direction between 2003 and 2011. And it also should be taken into account my people who think that her pay should have been frozen at her "onboard" level--no party in this dispute believes that. Corporate white knights should look for another issue.

Right. That's what I've been saying, which is why I haven't been discussing that issue. You either believe that labor market outcomes are necessarily just or you don't. I don't, and you do. Fine. There's no possible reasoning to agreement in that area. I can explain my position, and you can explain yours (or continue to try to browbeat me into agreement), but that's as far as we can get.

That aspect of our disagreement is on values rather than logic. What I've pointed out is illogical is your holding two contradictory beliefs here.
When did I say that labor market outcomes are "necessarily just"? That's absurd. I've argued that it is just to honor one's contract. I've said that I believe salary should reflect market performance, but I've pointed out that in 2011 she hadn't yet performed. I've explained this now five times, and you continue to ignore that she signed a contract before demonstrating this market value, and the contract takes precedence. I already mentioned that she could have signed an original contract where she inherited the same risk as the company that would scale her pay on a rolling basis according to her performance, so no, my ideas aren't irreconcilable or mutually exclusive. My position is simply more sophisticated than yours: balancing complex ideas of justice simultaneously.

On what grounds was that original contract she signed unfair, Jack?
This is premised on the false assumption that the contract signed three years ago is the same one she left with.
That was the contract implied to be disputed in the OP, so that's the one with which I've been reckoning. As has been pointed out, the language in the article appears to indicate that the contract she left with was, indeed, affording her equivalent bounty.

Ultimately, though, your economic politics are also irrelevant. It isn't incumbent upon the NYT to pay her (or any executive) proportionally to her value, legally, nor does the decision to not pay that indicate gender discrimination simply because they overpaid the previous executive who happened to be a man. Again, you're waging class warfare on the wrong battlefield.
Again, she hasn't even made claims that we can confirm. What I've pointed out is that a lot of bad arguments are being thrown around.
She's alleging discrimination. The burden of proof is on her. She's provided absolutely nothing indicating discrimination. Not a thing.

When did I say that labor market outcomes are "necessarily just"? That's absurd.

I earlier summed up your position as "whatever she or anyone else gets paid is right by the nature of employment contracts" and you agreed with that (Post 63). You also said this, "She deserves to get paid what she accepted in her contract. Not one penny more," which seems to indicate that it isn't possible for someone to deserve more pay than they receive.

I've argued that it is just to honor one's contract.

That's completely unrelated to the issue of whether someone deserves more pay than they get.

I've said that I believe salary should reflect market performance, but I've pointed out that in 2011 she hadn't yet performed.

But by 2014, she had. The discussion was about her pay in 2014. The other guy said that of course she wouldn't be paid as well as her predecessor because the industry took a downturn. I responded by saying that isn't obvious at all, and you have been going on and on as if I'm defending her non-existent allegations of discrimination.

I've explained this now five times, and you continue to ignore that she signed a contract before demonstrating this market value, and the contract takes precedence. I already mentioned that she could have signed an original contract where she inherited the same risk as the company that would scale her pay on a rolling basis according to her performance, so no, my ideas aren't irreconcilable or mutually exclusive. My position is simply more sophisticated than yours: balancing complex ideas of justice simultaneously.

Logical inconsistency isn't the same as sophistication. And, no, she's not a football player. She's perfectly within her rights to ask for a raise if one is warranted.

On what grounds was that original contract she signed unfair, Jack?

I have no idea if the original contract she signed was fair or not, and neither do you. I haven't been discussing that issue. I simply said that it was not obvious that she should be paid less than Keller because of the direction the company was headed before she was hired.

Ultimately, though, your economic politics are also irrelevant.

And so are yours. That's exactly my point. You're rushing to a firm, passionate judgment without any evidence simply because of your ideology. I'm calling for caution, and pointing out that the arguments being made don't hold up.

It isn't incumbent upon the NYT to pay her (or any executive) proportionally to her value, legally, nor does the decision to not pay that indicate gender discrimination simply because they overpaid the previous executive who happened to be a man. Again, you're waging class warfare on the wrong battlefield.

You're the one waging class warfare and going on about irrelevant gender issues. I get that you feel that employers and men get a raw deal, but that has nothing at all to do with Abramson.

She's alleging discrimination. The burden of proof is on her. She's provided absolutely nothing indicating discrimination. Not a thing.

She's not alleging anything. We're seeing hearsay indicating that she was unhappy about her compensation and that gender might have been a reason. If she were to actually make an allegation like that, she would have the burden of proof, which she would at least attempt to meet. But since it's just a rumor and she's not talking at all, she has no burden of anything.

BTW, best piece yet on the issue:

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/18/572743...tion-for-abramsons-ouster-that-the-times-cant

Why aren't you answering the question I asked?

Last edited:
Nothing gets my social justice juices flowing as much as a case of a wealthy, pedigreed employee being fired by a wealthy, pedigreed boss. This is not the America I call home.

And I'll bet her severance package won't even cover three years rent on her Manhattan townhouse... :icon_cry2

Back