Opinion Liberal in my 20’s conservative in my late forties

Jack Handy jr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being raised in UAW southeast Michigan we always voted for the democratic candidate in all levels of elections.... However after I Joined the military I had a realization that the only thing I was “ liberal” about was how pro unions I was.

when I took stock of myself and most of my family members we all voted Democrat but we all were

very pro military
Christian Baptist
Pro gun
Pro life
Pro conservative social issues

so when I got to about 31 I started voting republican my heartburn about the Republican Party is they’re not for the working class guy as far as wages. But I could no longer let my support of unions outweigh all the rest

who else has made the Internal Switch from voting for liberals to voting for conservatives after you got a family and career going?

Last edited:
Grew up in a purple state.

Mom is a small d Democrat
Dad is a small r Republican.

I'm cool with voting different parties within the same ballot.

Having one party controlling the executive branch and another party controlling the legislative branch is ideal for me. Our government was never supposed to be a parliament.

I'm generally socially liberal in that I don't care about abortion or guns, but they really lose me on the welfare stuff, especially since I worked at bank in a poor area. Stereotypes about people on welfare are stereotypes for a reason.

I specifically remember when I deposited a social security check for a kid who just turned 18. His parents were there and cheered him on like he just landed a job.

I'm generally socially liberal in that I don't care about abortion or guns, but they really lose me on the welfare stuff, especially since I worked at bank in a poor area. Stereotypes about people on welfare are stereotypes for a reason.

I specifically remember when I deposited a social security check for a kid who just turned 18. His parents were there and cheered him on like he just landed a job.
Losers.

If Republicans were pro unions there wouldn’t be any conflict for a lot of people like me when it came to the ballot box the whole

“democratic Economic policies better for me...republican policy better for the overall health of the country “

Voted Democrat since I've been able to vote but slowly realized that nothing will change and that their interests were just like the Republican - the corporations and keeping a status quo. Nothing will ever change. The fear mongering every 4 years about how if X gets elected, the country "won't survive" makes me roll my eyes.

- Secular-ran Government
- Equal rights for all regardless of race, sex or gender
- Medicare 4 All
- UBI
- Freedom of speech
- Anti outsourcing laws

There is no party that aligns with my views. I'm forced to choose the lesser of two evils if I choose to vote and the lines are really starting to blur between the two parties.

Absolutely once you learn a but about the world and learn what a dollar costs you naturally become more conservative
And before you start paying taxes, or at least get all your tax money refunded, you imagine taxes are you chipping in a few bucks for roads, schools, fire dept and police.

It's usually once your tax bill passes $10k/year and then you read about some ungodly sum they're spending on something useless, and it goes straight from this
<mma4>

to this

tenor.gif

Voted Democrat since I've been able to vote but slowly realized that nothing will change and that their interests were just like the Republican - the corporations and keeping a status quo. Nothing will ever change. The fear mongering every 4 years about how if X gets elected, the country "won't survive" makes me roll my eyes.

- Secular-ran Government
- Medicare 4 All
- UBI
- Freedom of speech
- Anti outsourcing laws

There is no party that aligns with my views. I'm forced to choose the lesser of two evils if I choose to vote and the lines are really starting to blur between the two parties.
I'm on board with most of this with the exception of UBI as I'm undecided on it. Otherwise, agreed, even if I'm a Canuck.

- Secular-ran Government
- Medicare 4 All
- UBI
- Freedom of speech
- Anti outsourcing laws

How can you say no party aligns with your views? Especially when you consider who appoints the judicial branch?

Seriously, yes Dems serve corporate interests but also there is at least a passing interest within the party to support most if not all of what you listed. This is especially true for the newer brand of democrats

Ill decide when lobbying is made illegal. Politicians should get a healthy salary and retirement and thats it, not 500k for a twenty minute speech etc. Corruption is laced through the whole system and it gets worse the higher you go. I still vote but Ive essentially noped out at this point.

Back