Li Kai Wen Offered A UFC Contract But ONE Won't Release Him

Didn't Wanderlei run from a USADA test and get suspended for a good portion of that?

he missed a test. and this is a different time and new rules. Of where you can be and why to a guy that’s not too familiar with the rules.
even Sonnen agreed with him wand.
Ufc didn’t want him to fight again and use his career. Which apparently the ufc thought he earned in the ufc. And. It fighting around the world.
So instead of releasing him to make money in his career. They just sat on his contract until they could no longer take away the legends right to make a living. And took away his productive years as a fighter and one of the all time greats and funnest guys to watch fight.

this is a huge deal on how ufc treats legends. You don’t want him? Let him go pursue what he’s done forever and don’t without years of his fighting career.

they could have easily let him go make a living outside of the company as they didn’t want him. But they chose not to.

but his suspension was from the ufc. Not every other promotion out there. And if any guy had earned the right to not get hemmed up in pettiness and just let the guy fight is the axe murderer.

he missed a test. and this is a different time and new rules. Of where you can be and why to a guy that’s not too familiar with the rules.
even Sonnen agreed with him wand.
Ufc didn’t want him to fight again and use his career. Which apparently the ufc thought he earned in the ufc. And. It fighting around the world.
So instead of releasing him to make money in his career. They just sat on his contract until they could no longer take away the legends right to make a living. And took away his productive years as a fighter and one of the all time greats and funnest guys to watch fight.

this is a huge deal on how ufc treats legends. You don’t want him? Let him go pursue what he’s done forever and don’t without years of his fighting career.

they could have easily let him go make a living outside of the company as they didn’t want him. But they chose not to.

but his suspension was from the ufc. Not every other promotion out there. And if any guy had earned the right to not get hemmed up in pettiness and just let the guy fight is the axe murderer.

My understanding was he legit ran from a test. Coming across from Pride I believe he was also on a very high level contract and would always sell well on PPV.
Here is an article around the time this all happened and whether I agree or not with holding fighters to contracts it sounds to me like Silva was just as fault as the UFC during the whole thing.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/14/10772080/attorney-ufc-released-wanderlei-silva-from-contract

I also disagree with releasing fighters for failed drug tests to fight internationally. That is just stupid. You piss hot you should sit out your suspension regardless of who you are. Just because some international places will let you fight doesn't mean the UFC should build up guys for other promotions.

Back