LHW Matchmaking is painful right now

Those weren't answers to the questions. Yes, those are answers for the longer term health of the division, but not the immediate. Volkan, Krylov, & Cirkunov (Craig's 15, comon now) could be penetrating into that top bubble of 6 you suggested, but not when all 6 of them are busy fighting each other. It much better serves to have the guys winning from the lower bubble fighting the guys losing from the upper bubble. Any combination of Volkan, Krylov, & Cirkunov fighting Reyes, Santos, and the loser of Jiri-Rakic makes MUCH more sense and I feel like that's not even debatable.

My question still remains: If Santos and Reyes both beat the top streaking contenders, LHW has no top streaking contenders. Who gets the next title shot? Do you recycle in Santos or Reyes so quickly? Or do you think that maybe booking something like Kyrlov vs Volkan is good enough for the next shot?
You forgot Ankalaev. And I think Jamahal, OSP & Cutelaba should all be ranked above Craig & Shogun.

After Glover, Shogun Rua is rightful contender

That's why he's damn near undefeated? And Jiri will clown and down Reyes soon

I think Reyes lost his last fight only because he was afraid to employ his immediate pressure strategy, that he always used before. He was afraid that like vs Jones when he lost the last two rounds they took the fight from him.

Matching up Rakic and Jiri is a terrible idea. Why in the world would you purposefully kill the momentum of one of the division's two most promising prospects? It makes much more sense for them to be on separate tracks toward a title shot, thereby building viable contenders.

LHW is so shallow that the losers won't have to do much to get back in the picture. Probably based fights on who's available when

Those weren't answers to the questions. Yes, those are answers for the longer term health of the division, but not the immediate. Volkan, Krylov, & Cirkunov (Craig's 15, comon now) could be penetrating into that top bubble of 6 you suggested, but not when all 6 of them are busy fighting each other. It much better serves to have the guys winning from the lower bubble fighting the guys losing from the upper bubble. Any combination of Volkan, Krylov, & Cirkunov fighting Reyes, Santos, and the loser of Jiri-Rakic makes MUCH more sense and I feel like that's not even debatable.

My question still remains: If Santos and Reyes both beat the top streaking contenders, LHW has no top streaking contenders. Who gets the next title shot? Do you recycle in Santos or Reyes so quickly? Or do you think that maybe booking something like Kyrlov vs Volkan is good enough for the next shot?
I see your point. But I don't worry about it.

We know Dana doesn't worry as much as some about rankings. And you can play the what-if game until the cows come home. If it comes to rematches folks don't want to see, he'll just put in a #6 Jiri instead.

The good and bad news is, matchups are hard to make. So when 'perfect' matchups present themselves and aren't made, there's usually a reason (pay, or one fighter's manager said no, or a scheduling conflict, etc). So when pretty good matchups are made, I'm happy.

But since most of the time most matchups aren't going to make most fans happy, I should probably just avoid these threads in the future. Cheers.

Last edited:
Jon Jones killed LHW long time ago and he has slowed down alot for the past few years so beating him now wouldnt be the same than beating him at in his prime like when he fought Machida.
There needs to be someone totally new to resurect that division else its just dead.

I see your point. But I don't worry about it.

We know Dana doesn't worry as much as some about rankings. And you can play the what-if game until the cows come home. If it comes to rematches folks don't want to see, he'll just put in a #6 Jiri instead.
... not if Jiri loses, as we just established. Like, no offense, I'm glad you're "seeing my point," but is the 4th time you've been posed the question, "Why risk both contenders because what if Jiri and Rakic both lose?" and I just don't get what you're not getting, cuz it seems like you're not following. If Jiri loses, then he won't get the title shot. Who would it be?

I should probably just avoid these threads in the future. Cheers.
I'd advise so, if things need to be repeated this much for you.

--------------------------------------------

You forgot Ankalaev. And I think Jamahal, OSP & Cutelaba should all be ranked above Craig & Shogun.
I was responding to the list I was given, I didn't forget anyone. Also, no. Ankalaev is and should be ranked above Craig & Shogun. I think he's got more upside than a few people ranked above him too, from like Cirkunov to maybe Volkan. But he feels like he's in a position to get himself in that top bubble in 2-3 fights, not 1. (Unless he gets real lucky with matchmaking and murders Santos or something).

But your other suggestions? What?

-OSP should be ranked. Kind of. He fought at heavyweight his last time out, so his eligibility for a LHW ranking isn't really there right now. He's been trying to return to LHW but hasn't yet. I'm sure he'll fit in the rankings once he does.
-Jamahal Hill should be ranked? For what? His single UFC win over Darko Stosic, who was on a 2 fight losing streak beforehand and got released after making it 3 in a row against Hill?
-Cutelaba should maybe be above Craig & Shogun. But he's on a loss and hasn't put anything decent together, and certainly not over any respectable victories.

Craig and Shogun being close make sense since their draw and following wins over, respectively, Antigulov (who Craig made just as much if not more impressive work of than Cutelaba did) and Nogueira. Nog and Shogun being shells doesn't much matter when their losses are also ranked and their wins are just outside of the rankings at the time, like Alvey and Cummins were when Nog beat them. Ion's only other recent win was Rountree, which is probably the most respectable opponent of the bunch, but is also now sandwiched between 3 losses, which is a hell of a lot of carbs surrounding not enough meat.

-------------------------------------------

Glover has earned his shot and Izzy is planning to come up too, so Reyes and Santos could fight each other if both win. It's not like LHW is full of inactive top fighters like WW (besides for injuries) so there's plenty of time to fit in fights, accounting for the champ needing a break between defenses too.
Glover has well earned his shot. The Izzy thing, I could take or leave, it seems to be more marketing against Jones than anything. You'd have to hope for Izzy to be there if Reyes and Santos both win, and it's just vying for time after that. Maybe at least then Rakic will agree to the Jiri fight instead of ducking it, and we can have some future backups.

WW is a fucking mess and a half. The few people with the 'shine' don't want to risk it against anyone, but still think they'll get a title shot soon. The most fucking diva division in the promotion right now.

Last edited:
Back