LHW Matchmaking is painful right now

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Moscardino, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Moscardino Yellow Belt

So you have Santos and Reyes on losing streaks, 2 fights down each. Their losses are high level. You face these guys off against one another to fight for relevancy and halt the streaks right?

Then you have Rakic and Jiri both with some decent momentum behind them and is a great style match up. Both coming off wins from decently ranked opponents.

So instead we put Reyes against Jiri, and Santos against Rakic? UFC better pray Jiri and Rakic win because otherwise the LHW division is gonna take years to get a decent divisional groove going again with so many guys trading wins and losses all over the place.

2. BRASIL WAND ▓▓▓AMERICAN TOP TEAM▓▓▓

Where have you been? Outside of Jones and DC it’s been a putrid division for over a decade.

3. mirko>anyone Red Belt

Unfortunately LHW isn’t the only division in this clusterfuck.

4. AmericanMMA Brown Belt

I believe Jiri will make LHW great again.

r-harper-1, Chucky and Memeojima like this.
  5. 13Seconds Silver Belt

Nah he's too wild in his striking to be a consistent top fighter.

6. Memeojima Green Belt

That's why he's damn near undefeated? And Jiri will clown and down Reyes soon

Chucky likes this.
  7. DS66 Brown Belt

You're right that Rakic/Jiri makes sense.... but Rakic turned down this fight unfortunately. So knowing that, the matchups make sense. Santos is a great test for Rakic and Reyes is a great test for Jiri, a big win for either will show that they're near ready for a title shot. I don't think the matchmaking is that bad.

8. MCS Show mercy to those sheep

Yep. It's similar at FW. The matchmaking is usually boneheaded. Poor matchmaking is the surest way to mess up a div.

9. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Piss off.

The UFC pitted the top 4 against each other. We as fans are supposed to love that. Every time a #3 fights a #8, fans bitch.

Now some fans are bitching because after Jones leave they have the top 4 fight each other, one for the belt and the other for a #1 contender spot?

Meanwhile, Rakic got #5 Anthony Smith, won and moved up (from #8 to #4 or some such thing). And the ladder is working exactly the way it was intended to.

TLDR: Piss off.

10. RustyShacleford Blue Belt

The way LHW works out, I expect both exciting new contenders will lose.

Mohawk Banditó likes this.
  11. SecondToNone Yellow Belt

Rakic/Jiri is a retarded fight. Both guys are on an upward trajectory. Jiri/Reyes and Rakic/Santos makes more sense. Either you build one (1) new title challenger from either fight or a guy ona 2 fight skid gets a W. Otherwise you're guaranteed that one (1) challenger dies and one (1) guy goes on a 3 fight skid

12. Mohawk Banditó Black Belt

It's a gamble for sure, but over they have to take because, as mentioned before, Rakic turned down Jiri. That would have been a perfect fight, but he just didn't take it.
    No one's bitching about the past or where people are ranked right now. The problem that is present right now is this: Reyes and Santos both lost their championship and eliminator matches clearly, right? Without an Izzy move or a Jones return, what happens if Reyes and Santos both beat Jiri and Rakic? Who is next for the belt? Do you do one of those rematches already? Throw in one of them off a 1 fight rebound? Or would it be time for the revenge of Anthony Smith?

Willy Knuckles likes this.
  13. Conor_Is_Overrated Purple Belt

I like both matchups, they are interesting and meaningful fights.

14. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

I'll be the first one to admit I didn't quite understand OP's 3rd paragraph, but it sounded like he was bitching about the past and suggesting other fights would have been better.

The answer is...there are lots of answers. A few months ago there were 4 decent top LHW's. Now that Jiri and Rakic have risen as the cream of the crop of the others, there are 6. And matchups being what they are, Krylov or Cirkunov or Craig or Volkan could rise up (or back up). So Jiri could fight Santos, or he could fight Krylov. Santos could fight someone in the top 6...but I would suggest he aim lower (I've also suggested he made a bad decision taking on Glover after a 2 year multi surgery break - so I'm basically saying the same thing now.)

15. Eric Silva 2.0 Blue Belt

The UFC is counting on Jiri and Rakic winning. If Reyes wins that would be pretty impressive after getting blasted by Jan.

16. Mohawk Banditó Black Belt

Those weren't answers to the questions. Yes, those are answers for the longer term health of the division, but not the immediate. Volkan, Krylov, & Cirkunov (Craig's 15, comon now) could be penetrating into that top bubble of 6 you suggested, but not when all 6 of them are busy fighting each other. It much better serves to have the guys winning from the lower bubble fighting the guys losing from the upper bubble. Any combination of Volkan, Krylov, & Cirkunov fighting Reyes, Santos, and the loser of Jiri-Rakic makes MUCH more sense and I feel like that's not even debatable.

My question still remains: If Santos and Reyes both beat the top streaking contenders, LHW has no top streaking contenders. Who gets the next title shot? Do you recycle in Santos or Reyes so quickly? Or do you think that maybe booking something like Kyrlov vs Volkan is good enough for the next shot?

Willy Knuckles likes this.
  17. Eric Silva 2.0 Blue Belt

In all fairness the matchmaking is a lot harder these days. The fighters as a whole are a lot more "diva-esque" than they used to be.

18. SovereignPhantom Blue Belt

Glover has earned his shot and Izzy is planning to come up too, so Reyes and Santos could fight each other if both win. It's not like LHW is full of inactive top fighters like WW (besides for injuries) so there's plenty of time to fit in fights, accounting for the champ needing a break between defenses too.

Mohawk Banditó likes this.
  19. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Walker 2.0 is still my boy!

pseto223 likes this.
  20. Joseph_McBride Red Belt

Not how I would have matched them up but you can grab any 2 guys in the top 12 & it's a fun fight. Plus Rumble should be back in February/March.

I'm more concerned that they do Jan/Glover next and let Izzy fight Jones or Rob again. Champ-champ fights never leave a division better off.