LHW is overrated. It has been for awhile.

Reign009

Not sure if serious.
Reaction score
The competition there is rather weak. They just have a lot of big name guys that were built off of each other by passing the belt around. I'm convinced that before Jon Jones, Anderson Silva could have gone up and taken the belt for sure.

This can be proven by seeing how he stomped Forrest effortlessly like an adult fighting a 5th grader. That was when Forrest had just lost the title.

Then there's Rashad. It would have been Shadface 2.0 maybe even worse because Silva's precision is by far more accurate than Machida's. Even Forrest was getting the better of Rashad until the last exchange.

Then there's Machida (Of course they'd never fight). But if they had, COMPARED to Silva, Machida's striking is one dimensional. Silva's speed, power, range, precision, and confidence would ultimately get the better of him.

Rampage and Shogun, you get the point.

Sorry if my tone here comes off a little strong. I really do enjoy fights at LHW. However, I do think it's a little overrated. In fact, I would say that it has actually gotten stronger now that it has a dominate champ.

Flame away.

Ever seen the training videos with machida and anderson? Machida puts hands on him in sparring, doesnt mean he's better. But its worth a look.

Well, the question then becomes whether having several champions means the division is strong or weak.

Also, Anderson Silva should not be used as a measuring stick for a division's strength under any circumstances.

I don't see anyone trying to tell me that it is the most dominant division. Pre-Jones it was, now its not. What makes you think the majority thinks otherwise?

I would hate to hear what you've have to say about Anderson's natural division.

I agree Anderson would of easily been Champ at LHW if he wanted too.

I think LHW really is underrated right now. You ve got some old guard members still hanging in there and a bunch of young talent slowly working its way up. Just the way it should be.

Just because the guy at the top is head and shoulders above everyone else doesn't mean that the entire division is weak.

Machida's tdd far exceeds Silva's. Don't discount one of the LHW wrestlers taking him down and keeping him there.

I think it's been through afew phases in the past 6 or so years. It has had alot of big names from pride and the UFC but they have all been at varying stages of their careers. At one point you had Chuck, Shogun, Wanderlei, Lyoto, Tito, Rashad, Henderson, Shogun, Rampage all in the division but of that group Lyoto, Rashad, Shogun and Henderson were the only one's in their prime.

LHW has also been almost like the glamour division for a while so it had the added value of a name -- A guy like Bisping for instance isn't considered that great by Sherdog yet he fared reasonably well at LHW.

Jones coming into light heavyweight will potentially have people looking at it like a weak division in 5 years time when new fans look back on his dominance. I think the division was always a little overrated, only due to the fact that people rated it too highly, not because it was weak.

I think LHW really is underrated right now. You ve got some old guard members still hanging in there and a bunch of young talent slowly working its way up. Just the way it should be.

Just because the guy at the top is head and shoulders above everyone else doesn't mean that the entire division is weak.

If you read the last part of my post, I actually say I think it's stronger now. In a way you're kind of agreeing with me?

Well, the question then becomes whether having several champions means the division is strong or weak.

Also, Anderson Silva should not be used as a measuring stick for a division's strength under any circumstances.

I think he should when people bash his competition.

Light Heavy Weight is no more overrated than Middle Weight. Both divisions have one guy that nobody can topple in recent fights.

I don't see Silva calling out any of the top fighters in LHW. Instead he is calling out a smaller fighter (GSP).

Light Heavy Weight is no more overrated than Middle Weight. Both divisions have one guy that nobody can topple in recent fights.

I don't see Silva calling out any of the top fighters in LHW. Instead he is calling out a smaller fighter (GSP).

Actually he didn't call out any LHW. And GSP is the #2 P4P fighter. But that's a whole different discussion.

hes given up on GSP

All division suck except FW

Whenever we discuss the relative strength/weakness of divisions, I read dozens of posts and come to the same conclusion. NONE of us have any clue what we're talking about (as opposed to most Sherdog discussions where only 90% of us have no clue what we're talking about).

Division strength is even harder to measure than P4P rankings, because its essentially a massive P4P matrix. Would the #4 guy at LW beat the #4 guy at WW if they were the same size? Is it harder to beat the 2nd tier fighters at LHW than it is to beat the 2nd tier fighters at MW?

Who can know the answer to a question that is based on a mountain of assumptions?

Back