LFA Double Champ Josh Silveira Signs With PFL

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022...ight-light-heavyweight-champion-josh-silveira

The PFL continues to add exciting rising talent.

josh silveira, 29, an American Top Team product and two-division champion under the LFA banner has announced signing with PFL. In five fights with LFA, the undefeated Silveira (7-0) won the LFA light heavyweight and middleweight titles in back-to-back fights in 2021.

Conan Silveira, Josh’s father and co-founder/head coach of ATT, announced the signing via Instagram on Monday.

In September at LFA 115, Silveira defeated Tee Cummins via head kick in the first round to claim the vacant light heavyweight title. In December at LFA 119, Silveira dropped down to middleweight for the first time in his professional career to claim another vacant title. He now moves on to the PFL without defending either belt.

“I have a big, big thank you straight from the heart, to LFA,” Silveira said in a video announcing his signing. “What a great organization. Big thank you to the staff. Ed Soares, you guys treated me like family. The best show I could have been in to make my career go to the next level. You guys went above and beyond, and I think you. I’m moving on to the next chapter of my life. We signed with the PFL. Without LFA, this wouldn’t have been possible. I thank you, guys.”

Yeah, very surprised with this - seemed nailed on to join the UFC if not now, then with another win. Good signing for PFL.

Absolute joke that the UFC allows top prospects like this get signed to other promotions. Would say Al-Silawi is still worse than this though.

Absolute joke that the UFC allows top prospects like this get signed to other promotions. Would say Al-Silawi is still worse than this though.

I think this one is worse because it's in a weaker division. WW is ridiculously strong, so although I'd have liked them to sign Al-Silawi (and Umalatov for that matter), it's not like they don't already have a shitload of top class WW's.

Personally I suspect the plan is to go to PFL for a couple of years, try and get the million (I'd probably have him or Carlos down as favourite at LHW atm) and then if he does move to the UFC after he'd be about 31, with much more experience, more of a name and able to get a bigger contract and go straight to the top of the division. You can easily spend two years in the UFC not really getting anywhere if you don't get the right booking.

I think this one is worse because it's in a weaker division. WW is ridiculously strong, so although I'd have liked them to sign Al-Silawi (and Umalatov for that matter), it's not like they don't already have a shitload of top class WW's.

Personally I suspect the plan is to go to PFL for a couple of years, try and get the million (I'd probably have him or Carlos down as favourite at LHW atm) and then if he does move to the UFC after he'd be about 31, with much more experience, more of a name and able to get a bigger contract and go straight to the top of the division. You can easily spend two years in the UFC not really getting anywhere if you don't get the right booking.
Getting to the UFC with some sort of name and/or hype behind you is much better than going in as a newbie. Chandler, Gamrot, Jiri did the right thing, and I think Silvera is on the right track.

Getting to the UFC with some sort of name and/or hype behind you is much better than going in as a newbie. Chandler, Gamrot, Jiri did the right thing, and I think Silvera is on the right track.

I think it depends really. If it works out it's great, but it can go the other way and you end up picking up losses against tough comp and never make it to the UFC at all, just depends on how things work out. It's a risk, but if it pays off it's a good one.

I think to some fighters the UFC is the be all and end all though and they want to have as long a career and as many fights under that banner as possible.

At first I was surprised, but it might be the right move for Silveira. He's gotta be among the favorites to win the million at either weight class.

Only important thing is that he writes a smart contract and doesn't get himself hung up in endless trap clauses.

At first I was surprised, but it might be the right move for Silveira. He's gotta be among the favorites to win the million at either weight class.

Would have to be LHW, PFL don't have a MW division.

Would have to be LHW, PFL don't have a MW division.
With this signing, and former Bellator champ Rafael Carvalho being a free agent, it might be a good time for PFL to try to start rebuilding 185. It’s silly a supposed power player amongst the leagues does not have a main weight class. I could see them both getting signed to fight at 205 sadly.

With this signing, and former Bellator champ Rafael Carvalho being a free agent, it might be a good time for PFL to try to start rebuilding 185. It’s silly a supposed power player amongst the leagues does not have a main weight class. I could see them both getting signed to fight at 205 sadly.
With the current PFL system, most MW move up to LHW since they don't want to do the weighcut 5 times a year

Silviera is fighting in February on Contender Series-Lite

Interesting he's got to go through the contender series for PFL. For any up and coming prospect if they think they are good enough really, if you can win that GP you'll make more in one year than you would make in 5 years in Bellator or UFC. Surprised more prospects arent going to PFL over UFC and Bellator.

Good for him! I hope he rakes in the sponsor money.

Interesting he's got to go through the contender series for PFL. For any up and coming prospect if they think they are good enough really, if you can win that GP you'll make more in one year than you would make in 5 years in Bellator or UFC. Surprised more prospects arent going to PFL over UFC and Bellator.
Cutting that often in a year fucks people's bodies. Just look at the guys who used to fight in Bellator tournaments, like Patt Curran who retired at 33.

Cutting that often in a year fucks people's bodies. Just look at the guys who used to fight in Bellator tournaments, like Patt Curran who retired at 33.

Shouldn't be an issue for Josh though, if he were fighting in the UFC it'd be at MW.

MVP mentioned yesterday that he does make some mobey from sponsors, merch, etc. But I guess he is an exception.

I think people still make money from sponsors, but I think the lions share of it comes from promoting stuff on social media rather than wearing a logo in the cage or it being on a banner for about 10 seconds. They can get far higher fan engagement through Instagram etc.

Back