Lewis retiring!

Money talks....he needs more money for the ass whooping that was put on him tonight. I hoe he at least gets FOTN.

I like Lewis. I don't know, between this fight and his last one, I can believe he's got a lower back injury. Back problems suck.

He was supposed to replace Nelson as the new gatekeeper. The HW division sucks.

Man...HW has always been shit.

Stipe and Cain.

Cain is the boss....he would destroy both these fools.

Beast is a haymaking gasser. Dude just quit.

Hunt couldn't even put a punch on Lesnar who stood with him for a whole round. This division SUCKS.

Its like a Toughman contest.

They aren't paying most of these guys enough for the toil and damage taken in training and fighting. The UFC is beginning to stall on the fighter front and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Didn't he just say he was one of the highest paid HW fighters now? In retrospect, I think he was trolling us

He's retiring because he has an offer he can't refuse.... supervisor of a towing company.

he can forget about a title shot anytime soon jet lag or not that was a bad really bad performance.

Dana will pay him because the HW division is so weak so he can't really retire.

He said he had a nagging back injury since 2011, that likely means ruptured discs & degenerative disc disease, exacerbated by the fact that he's 280lbs+ and carrying that weight on his back all the time. People with those kind of injuries are lucky to be able to even get out of bed and walk around some days, let alone cage fight, so give him a break. He probably needs spinal fusion, or some kind of stem cell treatment like Cody is getting, but UFC isn't gonna pay for it like they are for Cody.

Hot take: special treatment with medical procedures are like the new PEDs post-USADA.

He's 32 and has a decent amount of mileage. Apparently he's been suffering from a back injury for a number of years.

With a big win tonight he had a shot for the title because the division is paper thin, and possibly a very big payday. With a loss to Hunt that gets snapped and he's back down toiling away.

His last officially reported payout was in Las Vegas 2016 against Nelson and it was 33k to show.

Derrick doesn't have a financial incentive to keep fighting because most of these guys are trading brain damage for peanuts.

http://thesportsdaily.com/mma-manif...owne-fighter-salaries-reebok-attendance-gate/

Derrick Lewis
: $142,000 ($41,000 to show, $41,000 win bonus, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $10,000 Reebok sponsorship)

That's his most recent fight. $142k is a nice sum, but with a loss he could be back down to around $60k for this showing.

He got out cardio by a 43 year old fighter. Maybe he should retire.
uh.. did you ever take into consideration that 43 year old was born and raised there at whatever elevation new zealand is?

derrick lewis is american and most likely did not fly out at least 2 wks prior to tonight to get acclimated and it CLEARLY showed tonight in his cardio, his cardio has NEVER looked that bad... derrick was doing fine in the first, just being cautious..

I am devastated he retired, he's THEE funniest UFC fighter currently and he WAS getting better each time we saw him compete.. I can't believe he just retired :( :(

The big boys play in the NFL NBA not in the UFC for chump change and Dana's bullshit it's not rocket science.

uh.. did you ever take into consideration that 43 year old was born and raised there at whatever elevation new zealand is?

derrick lewis is american and most likely did not fly out at least 2 wks prior to tonight to get acclimated and it CLEARLY showed tonight in his cardio, his cardio has NEVER looked that bad... derrick was doing fine in the first, just being cautious..

I am devastated he retired, he's THEE funniest UFC fighter currently and he WAS getting better each time we saw him compete.. I can't believe he just retired :( :(

Auckland New Zealand elevation = 643 ft

Dat high altitude though!

Auckland New Zealand elevation = 643 ft

Dat high altitude though!
i didn't say it was high..? i said and i quote "at whatever elevation new zealand is"

which simply means it doesn't matter WHAT it was.. lewis is from a different country completely, i would bet money he didn't fly out at least 2 weeks prior to the fight tonight to get acclimated & used to the time change probably got there a matter of days before, so.. his cardio suffered tonight and it was OBVIOUS, he's never shown us cardio that bad ...

I guess he can't wait to work at a tire shop or some shit. What else is he gonna do?

i didn't say it was high..? i said and i quote "at whatever elevation new zealand is"

which simply means it doesn't matter WHAT it was.. lewis is from a different country completely, i would bet money he didn't fly out at least 2 weeks prior to the fight tonight to get acclimated & used to the time change probably got there a matter of days before, so.. his cardio suffered tonight and it was OBVIOUS, he's never shown us cardio that bad ...

Stop.

Elevation wasn't a factor at all. Lewis has always had shit for cardio. If he didn't give himself time to get acclimated to a different timezone, that's his fault.

Back