1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Lewis has one of the best killer instincts in the UFC

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by hardcoreBE, Aug 4, 2021.

1. hardcoreBE Brown Belt

With Saturday night's fight approaching I was watching a highlight of Lewis and I realized he must have one of the best killer instincts in the UFC. Meaning, when he hurts his opponent, soon after that the fight will be over, he doesn't let up until the ref pulls him off his opponent.

In the latest embedded his coach also mentions, it's fight week now, so the fun Lewis slowly disappears while the Black Beast comes to the surface and it keeps going until fight night.

Who else has an incredible killer instinct in the UFC? Stephens comes to mind. I'm not talking about who are the best fighters, but fighters who are like sharks when they smell blood and won't stop until they finish it.

Also disclaimer: I would never bet against Lewis because of the power he has, but I think Gane will outpoint him.

Highlight that made me make this thread:

TCE, Hitman, Bubba Kid and 3 others like this.
  2. FriskyRandy Yellow Card Yellow Card

3. yekmurat Gold Belt

Nope.Fitch...

Conor_Is_Overrated likes this.
  4. FriskyRandy Yellow Card Yellow Card

Randy was pretty good at finishing in that JOI video.

5. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

Agree TS. Dustin Poirier also has one best killer instincts, if not THE best, in all of the UFC,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  6. spinup Brown Belt

Rozenstruik. I don't think anyone survived getting hurt once by him. And he has 100% KO/TKO.

Bubba Kid likes this.
  7. Individualthoughtpatterns Green Belt

Handy Randy

8. hardcoreBE Brown Belt

Yep definitely a good one, especially in the last 5 years.

giovanni_ss likes this.
  9. hardcoreBE Brown Belt

Probably also Luque I think.

Bubba Kid likes this.
  10. Dorch Green Belt

I thought wand had one of the best of all time. You know he would go crazy if he hurt someone

Hespectfully likes this.
  11. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

The thing about Dustin is he has a switch from “I’m just punching” to “I’m putting it on you”, and it happens really fast. Once he gets going it’s like throwing magnets at a steel wall. PING PING PING. Just over and over and over. So fun to watch

12. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

100% agree man. With so many crazy fights over the years against the best guys who can punch and trade as well, I think he developed an autopilot mode, a switch like you said, where he knows when to pick his shots and know if they landed well, and if he sees the light turned on, it's almost automatic.

Zebra Cheeks likes this.
  13. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

It’s this perfect sweet spot. He increases his pace and power without losing his accuracy. He can do additional damage and not risk gassing or fatiguing. So if he throws 4-5 punches, you get a few feet…you’re still not safe. It’s really hard to get out of. With some guys you take the kind of space Justin did…and survive that long? Normally they are getting off the hook. But when Dustin is stalking him he’s just doing enough to keep him there until he can pick a clean shot. So dangerous.

Imo there are better strikers in mma. When I see guys like Yan box, and how fluidly he includes kicks…well, he’s just on another level. But finishing guys who are hurt? Dustin is the best fighter in the world at that

14. PalmStrike Brown Belt

15. hardcoreBE Brown Belt

Oliveira now also in his latest run, once he has you hurt it will be punches in bunches or a submission victory for him. (unless you're a crazy man like Tony and rather lose your arm then to tap).

What does this has to do with my thread? Was I asking for a fighter who never lost a fight? There's always one of you guys who don't really know how to read an OP.

Anyway, here's a gif of your boy getting kfto by a grappler.
    [​IMG]

Zebra Cheeks likes this.
  16. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

I know that I may receive criticism here. But Jon jones is also one I think of. Yes I know, a lot of his fights go to decision now. But think about 4-5 years ago. Jon is great at point fighting, but man, when he chose to unload on guys…..WOOOWEEEE. Those Muay Thai elbows combined with his length and wrestling? Jesus. I have to say he’s definitely one of the best at putting it on guys when he knows they are bending. He doesn’t always get the finish, but he puts the hurt on dudes and in his hay day he had some gnarly moments where it was like he would out muscle guys in the clinch then toss their lifeless body around..vicious stuff.

17. moreorless87 Straba

Pretty much, during Wands prime I think Hendo and Fujita were the only guy ever to survive being rocked against him, besides that if a big hook landed it was almost always game over.

Lewis isnt that disimilar to Wanderlei in style although I think less technical both in grappling defence and striking, Wanderlei could get wild with windmill hooks but he could also time some great punches.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Dorch likes this.
  18. hardcoreBE Brown Belt

Definitely agree with that. Maybe he doesn't always get the finish but he always knows when they are hurt and then just brings the pain. Him dropping Machida's body to the ground is still etched in my memory after all these years. I do believe he lost a little bit of viciousness the last couple of years but let's hope if he ever makes it to HW he gets it back.

Zebra Cheeks likes this.
  19. I Lie To Girls Green Belt

spacegnome and hardcoreBE like this.
  20. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

And he's great at keeping his composure too during the exchanges. And I think he's developed his chin too over the years imo that adds a bit of confidence that he knows he can take a punch in the midst of chaos, especially when the guy's hurt, and he's smart enough to know when to get in and turn it on. If there's a MMA dictionary and you look up for the word killer instinct, you'll see Dustin's pic in there. He's the perfect definition.

Zebra Cheeks likes this.