Let's try a new kind of Sherdog thread.

On bigger/taller guys... Yama Arashi

Nah just kidding... a slightly modified version of this one:

This is what I started working on recently and have got it working against ppl that are my lvl and even above 1 time.

Basically, I was looking for a good counter when someone nullify my other leg when im using de la riva. ie he is pushing down the leg that isnt the de la riva hook. So you switch to reverse de la riva and most ppl take the bait and take a step forward wich so far make landing the sweep very easy. I learned it on Saulo DVD but on youtube this is what I was able to find:

YouTube - 4. reverse de la riva sweep

This thread is non stop win Hillary.

One of my favorites being used in competition. Roger starts sinking it in about 3:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I love the kimura, manipulating the gi, and all kinds of chokes so I think I'll go for Hillary's to work on when I get back from vacation.

My technique:

This is a sweep I use frequently. Starting in half guard with an overhook on their arm the same side as your leg. Switch your outside leg from a closed half guard to an outside hook under their thigh. Use your free arm to control the knee of their other pant leg. Rock momentum back, lift sweep ect.... Probably have used this sweep more than any other for the last year or more.

I am going to try Mikey's flying triangle. I have a couple nogi privates coming up with my instructor and he likes flying triangles... The duckunder setup looks fun and he can probably help me and ill report back!

If I understand this one correctly, I'll try it out tomorrow. I need some more half-guard stuff.

Sorry could'nt find a video of someone getting their jaw broken by shoulder pressure

I used to love this one, but I haven't attempted it in the last 6 months or so.
[YT]izOKqOptQxA[/YT]

If I understand this one correctly, I'll try it out tomorrow. I need some more half-guard stuff.

Since you train at Jeff's..... one of his brown belts, Tommy, showed me that sweep probably 3 or more years ago. Tommy teaches up in Rockford now, but I think he still gets out to Crystal Lake at least once or twice a month to train with Jeff. Good Luck.

--- I worked a few attempts of Mikey's duck-under flying triangle setup. Just for fun, as I don't likely have the athleticism to hit that in a competition, but its fun to keep training exciting and not always so serious. Also working on drilling the Xande sweep some this week as well.

I've been hiking and camping the last couple Weeks. Haven't even been to class. Haha, I'm a slacker!

Anyone made any progress?

I've made some progress on that trip. I guess, more importantly, I've realized the importance of getting the take down for someone my size (270 lbs), so I'm spending more time on judo right now.

I've made some progress on that trip. I guess, more importantly, I've realized the importance of getting the take down for someone my size (270 lbs), so I'm spending more time on judo right now.

The judo is definately a good addition. With someone your size I wouldn't think that in training you would loose the takedown war very often. Although isn't Ed Shobe a pretty big guy?

The judo is definately a good addition. With someone your size I wouldn't think that in training you would loose the takedown war very often. Although isn't Ed Shobe a pretty big guy?

Yes, Ed's big enough....I mean, I out-weigh him but not by a lot. He's quite sturdy. There are also other large guys here to work take downs with.

Back