Let's try a new kind of Sherdog thread.

Pendulum Sweep! I choose you!

pokemon.jpg

What the fuck are those? In 2001 I caught them all, and I don't recognize almost anything in that picture.

everyone has been showing their favorite sweeps, so i'll post a pass. this is my favorite pass, no doubt...

Im just gonna break down and buy a flip video and film it- think armbar setup that ends in the paper/bread/wire/diamond cutter choke. I set it up from Reverse scarf- no where near North/South. It's nice.

So many sweeps, I need to balance this out with a submission. PERHAPS A LEG LOCK?

Yea yea yea, it's a 10th planet affiliate video, but the whole "russian cowboy" series is old school sambo. The technique is a staple for any neebar/toe hold afficianado, and its my go to move when people are mega defensive from underneath side. I got to put a mark in the W column thanks to this in my first purple belt tournament.

I've hit this like 3 times in the past 2 weeks and just seems to keep getting easier for me to pull off.

everyone has been showing their favorite sweeps, so i'll post a pass. this is my favorite pass, no doubt...

"every time you are in between someone's legs you are in danger"-drac

how true

YouTube - Jay Bell Jiu-jitsu: The Guard - Baseball bat choke off of guard pass

I'm really liking this move. It's risky, but it's fun to play around with. I put someone to sleep with it at yesterday's class.YouTube - Jay Bell Jiu-jitsu: The Guard - Baseball bat choke off of guard pass

I dont go for submission that make me give up the pass. It requires precise timing, and there are too many variables to make it truly effective against experienced guys. For the most part anyway...

My technique:

This is a sweep I use frequently. Starting in half guard with an overhook on their arm the same side as your leg. Switch your outside leg from a closed half guard to an outside hook under their thigh. Use your free arm to control the knee of their other pant leg. Rock momentum back, lift sweep ect.... Probably have used this sweep more than any other for the last year or more.

That is a nice sweep. Had to watch it a few times to understand the mechanics of it.

I dont go for submission that make me give up the pass. It requires precise timing, and there are too many variables to make it truly effective against experienced guys. For the most part anyway...

Yeah, I don't try it against blues because I know I'll just give up the pass. Against other whites, however... It's a very fun move. :icon_twis

I would have to say the other move I like to pull off (mostly in no-gi) is the Peruvian necktie from either a front headlock position or when I have back control and can't get the RNC.

Im usually the same way, however, I do like the baseball choke from a baited guard pass....

Once I get my grips really deep from butterfly I generally can finish this choke by baiting the pass or just giving up side voluntarily while hit the choke as hard and quickly as I can. I have pretty decent success with it against whites and blues, especially if they haven't been caught in it a few times before. I have tried but its very low percentage when I go for it with some of the more skilled blues and purples I regularly train with.

I would love to post mine, but i am not sure what it is called. Any insight so I can search for a video?
This is a great move for some newer guys looking to develop some half guard game. Actually just won a state tourney off of this sweep.
Anyway, probably one of the most simple sweeps from half. Dig your underhook. Then use your other hand to reach between their legs and grab their gi at their ankle. At this point you scoot onto your knees, push into them, and yank on the ankle. People who know what they are doing will get real heavy and try and stuff it with a strong wizzar (sp?) on your underhooking arm. Also watch out for the sprawl when you come up. Other than that, great, simple, hard to fuck up sweep from half.

Doing away with all the hypothetical questions, complaining threads, and "What should I do if I don't tap a black belt my first class" threads--let's try something new.

Everyone post A VIDEO of one of their bread-and-butter moves. Wait until someone else posts one that you either A) haven't tried or B) are really bad at. Show up to class early, or stay late, and really focus on drilling and going after that in rolling. Then let us know how it goes. :)

My technique:

This is mine, it flows with Hillarys nicely.

I drilled the Xande sweep 20x each side today and got it 3 times in training! Anyone else with progress?

When I trained at a Saulo affilliate school this past winter EVERYONE tried that Xande sweep on me.

I drilled the Xande sweep 20x each side today and got it 3 times in training! Anyone else with progress?

I chose the foot sweep De Ashi Barai from page 2, because I need to get more take downs to compliment my top game focus.

I can consistently hit it now with people that walk just as I tell them to. :icon_chee

P.S. Good to hear that you like this sweep. It's one of my person favorites...mostly because you can do it without having much set up (A SWEEP IS COMING), so they don't brace for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back