Let's try a new kind of Sherdog thread.

Well I was always taught that the pendulum sweep above was called the flower sweep.

I disagree:

Flower Sweep

Pendulum Sweep

there's no set terms, but the one in the first video by coach migs is the xande sweep varation. the xande sweep is basically a variation on the flower/pendulum sweep, so it's not really wrong to call it that. The second video is more commonly referred to as the flower Sweep, or Pendulum sweep. The one in the first video is usually called the Xande sweep, but can also be called flower/pendulum. IIRC pendulum was the original name, but people started calling it the Flower sweep after Margarida, which is the Portuguese name of a type of flower(Daisy I think).

when it gets really confusing is when you start adding in all Marcelo's X/butterfly sweeps. He has one that is way more well known as the pendulum, and it's the reason the sweep you posted is more often called the flower sweep.

Everyone post A VIDEO of one of their bread-and-butter moves.

My technique:

This is a sweep I use frequently. Starting in half guard with an overhook on their arm the same side as your leg. Switch your outside leg from a closed half guard to an outside hook under their thigh. Use your free arm to control the knee of their other pant leg. Rock momentum back, lift sweep ect.... Probably have used this sweep more than any other for the last year or more.

Wait until someone else posts one that you either A) haven't tried. Show up to class early, or stay late, and really focus on drilling and going after that in rolling. Then let us know how it goes. :)

I am going to try Mikey's flying triangle. I have a couple nogi privates coming up with my instructor and he likes flying triangles... The duckunder setup looks fun and he can probably help me and ill report back!

For anyone looking for other details on the Xande sweep, I think he talks about it in the first Arte Suave.

What's awesome about it is the ridiculous amount of movements you can go to when the opponent bases in different ways.

This was posted a couple days ago, but its definitely a favorite of mine. I have a hard time getting my hips going in closed guard, so I just get them all the way out.
Don't know how to embed.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/emW_-CeHWhA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/emW_-CeHWhA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I use this in conjunction with the Homer Simpson sweep (simply turning the other way and putting my opponent on his butt) if I can't get my opponent to post his hands on the mat. Super basic deep half game, but very high percentage.

Also, I'm gonna second Hillary's pick and go with the Xande sweep. I have no closed guard game to speak of (usually just go to feet on hips/spider), and I like sweeps, so it should be just what the doctor prescribed.

You need to watch the left leg and right hand grip to see the difference between flower and pendulum.

I picked mine. I'll work on the Xande sweep.

Xande sweep is so killer. I typically don't use the sleeve grip at the end, but actually grip at the tricep. It gives the guy on top a false sense of security and works REALLY well.

Here's me pulling it off at a sub only last year. Unfortunately the angle isn't that great, but you can see how the guy doesn't even feel threatened enough to pull that arm away.

ps. this was after a 1 hour 16 min match, so don't hold any sloppiness against me!

Try it with both grips. Dennis (deninho) was actually the first one to show me the sweep, but with the sleeve grip. Tony (my instructor) and boca both separately showed me the tricep grip later and I love it.

Overhook w/ lapel grab, threaten collar choke, triangle.

I can't find a video of anyone doing it online- :(

It's a bread cutter but set up from reverse scarf i/o north south.

This is close- but I do it slow and its a suprise. 1:16 in.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^

that's because you're searching for "Bread cutter", lol. that's a new one for me, and I didn't even know what you meant until I watched the video. most places call that the
"Paper Cutter" among other things. Here's what I think you were looking for:

Pendulum Sweep! I choose you!

pokemon.jpg

Back