Let's try a new kind of Sherdog thread.

Hillary

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Doing away with all the hypothetical questions, complaining threads, and "What should I do if I don't tap a black belt my first class" threads--let's try something new.

Everyone post A VIDEO of one of their bread-and-butter moves. Wait until someone else posts one that you either A) haven't tried or B) are really bad at. Show up to class early, or stay late, and really focus on drilling and going after that in rolling. Then let us know how it goes. :)

My technique:

This is a couple years old now, but I like flying triangles more each day:

Awesome idea.

Interested to see what different people with different games decide to show.

If I get mount, or the back, I somehow manage to get into a position for this choke about 50% of the time.

are you guys just posting subs?

here is my bread and butter sweep:

and a sub i used to get a lot, forgot about it, and now all of a sudden I've been hitting frequently again. Its the "reverse" armbar where you get the guy to roll if necessary, but I also frequently finish it before they get a chance to roll. its how paulo finishes the fight:

I love the gift wrap and use it all the time, I filmed this a while ago when i was a blue belt, I even use it more now, with more setups, and really like the triangle from the back mount with the gift wrap.

I'm not as advanced as a lot of you guys, but this is one of my favorite sweeps to hit thus far, pretty basic, but it has to be precise.

Am I cheating by posting two? Hope I'm not polluting the thread:

Slightly more advanced:

Marcelo's attempts to sweep Renzo from the x-guard are awesome-- it's only cause Renzo has such a good base that he's able to avoid it. But, if I can get into x-guard, I love the sweeps Marcelo tries here. I hate this video in one way cause they skip over how Marcelo gets into the x-guard, which is arguably the most essential part. But awesome nonetheless.

In his x-guard book, Marcelo talks about how he loves the x-guard because you can just feel so much of your opponent's movement, and you are in such utter control because of this (I hope I'm paraphrasing him correctly)-- but anyways, that's why I enjoy the x-guard.

Last edited:

I'm going to work on the Xande sweep. I've been working on it the past week, but I still suck at it.

It's a variation that comes quicker than the flower sweep and is much more timing based. Instead of underhooking that leg and getting perpendicular, the leg comes up almost in an omoplata motion to bring the guy over. It's hard to get the timing, hence why I'm trying it.

It's a variation that comes quicker than the flower sweep and is much more timing based. Instead of underhooking that leg and getting perpendicular, the leg comes up almost in an omoplata motion to bring the guy over. It's hard to get the timing, hence why I'm trying it.

I thought the one where you get more perpendicular was the pendulum sweep.

if you're going to drill the Xande sweep you should get this one in the mix two. It's another variation Xande does a lot as shown by Rafael Lovato Jr:

I'll be drilling my Cyborg Tornado sweep this week... at least I got the DVD to help me now.

Back