Let's Talk: How to improve CrossFit

Because they are generally no frills, bare-bones gyms. Essentially a rectangular room (a box) with a bunch of training equipment. No TVs, no saunas, no massage chairs, no aerobics studios etc. I imagine that someone came up with the term "box" and it caught on because it sounds "cool" and easily identifies you as a CF'er if you train at a "box".

Yeah, but of course, the ironic thing is that it's supposed to be gritty and no frills... but it's full of professional, upper-middle class yuppies. Those are pretty much the only people that can afford to drop $150+ per month fees.

Like so many other things, it's a manufactured image.

Meh...Although I understand and agree with a lot of the criticism of Crossfit, overall, it doesn't really bother me. I know I'll catch a lot of shit for it, but the average Crossfitter does far more serious workouts than the average Joe at a mainstream commercial gym.

Meh...Although I understand and agree with a lot of the criticism of Crossfit, overall, it doesn't really bother me. I know I'll catch a lot of shit for it, but the average Crossfitter does far more serious workouts than the average Joe at a mainstream commercial gym.

truth.

when I did my week long free trial at what I would consider a really good crossfit gym, the average person there was in pretty good shape. some of the dudes there were strong as fuck and jacked too.

the average person at my gym is curling in the squat rack with 13 inch arms and doing 15-20 sets of bicep related workout.

Yeah, but of course, the ironic thing is that it's supposed to be gritty and no frills... but it's full of professional, upper-middle class yuppies. Those are pretty much the only people that can afford to drop $150+ per month fees.

Like so many other things, it's a manufactured image.

$150 isn't bad, if the programming and coaching is good. That's what you're paying for. Many MMA gyms charge around the same price range. So, not sure if spending $150 puts you in the yuppie section of American society. You just might be broke.

$150 isn't bad, if the programming and coaching is good. That's what you're paying for. Many MMA gyms charge around the same price range. So, not sure if spending $150 puts you in the yuppie section of American society. You just might be broke.

Many MMA gyms have shit programming as well.

Many good gyms charge less than $50 a month, with maybe an additional $50 for limited coaching from actual good coaches. If you have an attitude about this, you might just be a useless, arrogant yuppie prick.

And if you give your money to crossfit, you are perpetuating their stupidity and enabling assholes like cfhq to not only endure, but further fuck up the S&C world.

Many MMA gyms have shit programming as well.

Many good gyms charge less than $50 a month, with maybe an additional $50 for limited coaching from actual good coaches. If you have an attitude about this, you might just be a useless, arrogant yuppie prick.

And if you give your money to crossfit, you are perpetuating their stupidity and enabling assholes like cfhq to not only endure, but further fuck up the S&C world.

Paying $50 for a weightlifting gym and good coaching. You're fortunate. I'm not. Good coaching/gyms around here are in the $150 range. MMA gyms with good reputations are more than that. I payed almost $150 to train Thai Boxing, and BJJ.

To clarify I was NOT talking about paying $150 to train at a crossfit gym! That's ridiculous and I know of crossfit gyms that charge even more. Sometimes $20 just to walk in. I was saying IE paying $150 to train at place like California Strength or something similar would not make you a yuppie or some dumb shit like that.. I would not pay any amount of money for a crossfit gym to coach or do any of my program. I am not training for crossfit.

Last edited:
Paying $50 for a weightlifting gym and good coaching. You're fortunate. I'm not. Good coaching/gyms around here are in the $150 range. MMA gyms with good reputations are more than that. I payed almost $150 to train Thai Boxing, and BJJ.

To clarify I was NOT talking about paying $150 to train at a crossfit gym! That's ridiculous and I know of crossfit gyms that charge even more. Sometimes $20 just to walk in. I was saying IE paying $150 to train at place like California Strength or something similar would not make you a yuppie or some dumb shit like that.. I would not pay any amount of money for a crossfit gym to coach or do any of my program. I am not training for crossfit.

No, I do not pay that. I know people who do.

Hell, I have coached people who I felt were worth it for less than that under certain circumstances.

A good PL gym, for example, will often allow you to train with the team for free if you simply express an interest in competing. So finding good yet inexpensive coaching is possible, just requires a certain amount of effort.

Paying a bit more to train somewhere where they actually consistently turn out superior lifters is one thing. Paying more than most real gyms charge to look and train like a moron is just stupid.

Back