Let's talk addictions

SalvadorAllende

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Good talk for a guy who has been studying the subject for years, travelling all around the world:

Cliffs:
- He states that almost everything we know about addiction is wrong.
- People take heroin in the form of morphine a lot for medical issues but don't become addicted. So the level of chemical addiction is overrated.
- Most of the knowledge about addiction comes from studies who are about 100 years old. Basically rats with clean water and water with a drug. They chose the drug.
- In the 70s, a professor did an experiment called "Rat Park" where the rats had everything (cheese, tunnels, other rats, sexual partners, etc). He put both waters. None of the rats drank the drugged water.
- Isolated rats were overdosing at about 100% rate. The ones in "Rat Park" had a 0% rate.
- 20% of US soldiers in Vietnam used a lot of heroin. Once they got back in the US soil there was a concern about them becoming junkies. 95% of them just stopped using heroin without any rehab.
- Then he proceeds to explain addiction causes being "bonding" and "connection" issues. Since you can't connect with people you connect with the object of your addiction.
- We are used to treat former addicts like ex-convicts. Shame and stigmatize them.
- In the early 2000s, 1% of Portugal population was addicted to heroin. They tried to do the american way and failed.
- They decriminalized all treatment funds and use them to reconnect addicts to society. Instead of focusing only in residentail rehab and psychological treatment. They started a big employement program for addicts, for example, paying 50% of salary to their employer.
- The main objective was that every addict have something to wake up for, and build relationships with basically the world.
- 15 years later injection drugs were down 50%. Addiction, HIV infections, ODs, everything went down.
- Current society is addictive in many other ways too (smartphones, food, social media, etc). It's not only illegal drugs.
- Connections now through social media and technology are not as genuine as real life.
- Group interventions that threat addicts to cut them off does not work. The opposite way (unconditional love) seems to be way more effective.
- His conclusion: The opposite of addiction is connection.

I know a lot of you have some first or second hand experience with addiction. Would like to read your opinions about it.

Help cure my addiction to getting the first post!

Does this guy have any credentials related to the subject?
Besides anecdotal research?

I had an addiction to alcohol and drugs by the time I was 18.

Ended up in trouble with the law and in a 12 step program where I had an intense encounter with God that removed my addiction and about 90% of my mental and emotional pain too.

Cant really disagree with anything the guy said in the TS other than that for me social connection is not all that important for my sobriety. Its all about a connecrion to God for me.

I always thought this forum was more of a "Rat Park" than a Mayberry.

Humans and rates both use drugs to escape Boring and bad realities ... interesting

I had an addiction to alcohol and drugs by the time I was 18.

Ended up in trouble with the law and in a 12 step program where I had an intense encounter with God that removed my addiction and about 90% of my mental and emotional pain too.

Cant really disagree with anything the guy said in the TS other than that for me social connection is not all that important for my sobriety. Its all about a connecrion to God for me.

the path to sobriety is a long one my man glad you could acheive it

Didnt we just have a sex addiction thread?

So did the rat park end up being one giant hedonistic rat orgy?

Did they make the rats run mazes and run on a hamster wheel 8 hrs a day to mimic human reality with pointless jobs?

The parallel context between the daily life of a human worker in conjunction with chemical dependence in these rat experiments is looking shabby as fuck.

Didnt we just have a sex addiction thread?

So did the rat park end up being one giant hedonistic rat orgy?

Did they make the rats run mazes and run on a hamster wheel 8 hrs a day to mimic human reality with pointless jobs?

The parallel context between the daily life of a human worker in conjunction with chemical dependence in these rat experiments is looking shabby as fuck.
Rats that consumed cocaine were isolated.
Non addict rats were in groups.

I would say that an empty cage sounds pretty much as an office.

And I must have missed the sex addiction thread.

Good talk for a guy who has been studying the subject for years, travelling all around the world:

Cliffs:
- He states that almost everything we know about addiction is wrong.
- People take heroin in the form of morphine a lot for medical issues but don't become addicted. So the level of chemical addiction is overrated.
- Most of the knowledge about addiction comes from studies who are about 100 years old. Basically rats with clean water and water with a drug. They chose the drug.
- In the 70s, a professor did an experiment called "Rat Park" where the rats had everything (cheese, tunnels, other rats, sexual partners, etc). He put both waters. None of the rats drank the drugged water.
- Isolated rats were overdosing at about 100% rate. The ones in "Rat Park" had a 0% rate.
- 20% of US soldiers in Vietnam used a lot of heroin. Once they got back in the US soil there was a concern about them becoming junkies. 95% of them just stopped using heroin without any rehab.
- Then he proceeds to explain addiction causes being "bonding" and "connection" issues. Since you can't connect with people you connect with the object of your addiction.
- We are used to treat former addicts like ex-convicts. Shame and stigmatize them.
- In the early 2000s, 1% of Portugal population was addicted to heroin. They tried to do the american way and failed.
- They decriminalized all treatment funds and use them to reconnect addicts to society. Instead of focusing only in residentail rehab and psychological treatment. They started a big employement program for addicts, for example, paying 50% of salary to their employer.
- The main objective was that every addict have something to wake up for, and build relationships with basically the world.
- 15 years later injection drugs were down 50%. Addiction, HIV infections, ODs, everything went down.
- Current society is addictive in many other ways too (smartphones, food, social media, etc). It's not only illegal drugs.
- Connections now through social media and technology are not as genuine as real life.
- Group interventions that threat addicts to cut them off does not work. The opposite way (unconditional love) seems to be way more effective.
- His conclusion: The opposite of addiction is connection.

I know a lot of you have some first or second hand experience with addiction. Would like to read your opinions about it.

The way I was able to kick my opioid addiction was by meeting my wife. Funny how her love helps with chronic pain better than oxy can.

I'm not sold on a lot of what he says. I think these are complete bullshit in many cases.

People take heroin in the form of morphine a lot for medical issues but don't become addicted. So the level of chemical addiction is overrated
Then he proceeds to explain addiction causes being "bonding" and "connection" issues. Since you can't connect with people you connect with the object of your addiction.
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Weird that kurzgesagt took this video off of their channel, still here's a copy for all you ducky fans:

The way I was able to kick my opioid addiction was by meeting my wife. Funny how her love helps with chronic pain better than oxy can.
Damn that is really nice to hear.
Family and friends for me... not opioid but I used to have pretty self destructive behaviours.
Now when I'm starting to feel like that I just call my parents or hang out with a friend. If I'm really fucked up I do a videocall with my nice and nephews and the world is good again.

Back