Let's talk about what it takes to be successful

Here's the thing

It depends on my Depends.
@Green
Reaction score
I figure it's a combination of 4 things. They are not in order of importance. Everyone who has ever had any great success, did it through some combination of these four things. Do you guys agree?

1) Work ethic
2) Talent
3) Luck
4) Brains

First you have to define success.

Decision making is huge.

There's so many things in early adult life than can fuck you up for decades (abusive relationship, divorce, kids out of wedlock, heavy drugs/alcohol use, credit card debt, 100K+ of student loans, picking the wrong career or getting a degree in something that's not a real viable skill).

Most of the things that screwed my graduating class up later in life was the student debt and picking a worthless degree. I worked part time after highschool and paid cash for trade school.

I'm now 5 years into my work career with tons of savings while there still looking for a decent full time job and are over 100k in debt. There gonna be screwed for a long ass time

1) Low standards
2) Luck (God)
3) A minimum aptitude in your field
4) Hard penis

When I think about the biggest turd losers who can't or won't pay their debts, they lack:

Intelligence
Discipline
Follow through
Initiative
Control over ego

1) Money
2) Power
3) Women
4) A machinegun

Get those in order.

Obsession

Natural talent

Intelligence to know how to improve in the right areas

Luck

90% is just going to work and actually doing work.
Any idiot can do hard labour and make good pay.

Decision making is huge.

There's so many things in early adult life than can fuck you up for decades (abusive relationship, divorce, kids out of wedlock, heavy drugs/alcohol use, credit card debt, 100K+ of student loans, picking the wrong career or getting a degree in something that's not a real viable skill).

Most of the things that screwed my graduating class up later in life was the student debt and picking a worthless degree. I worked part time after highschool and paid cash for trade school.

I'm now 5 years into my work career with tons of savings while there still looking for a decent full time job and are over 100k in debt. There gonna be screwed for a long ass time
so true. it makes me want to grab younger people making bad/reckless choices and shake them and try to yell some since into them

if I didnt get so into drugs, my networth would be literally double what it is right now. I have to grind every day just to get back to where I SHOULD be at.

I have burned a small fortune.

I figure it's a combination of 4 things. They are not in order of importance. Everyone who has ever had any great success, did it through some combination of these four things. Do you guys agree?

1) Work ethic
2) Talent
3) Luck
4) Brains

Yes, and for myself I learned after college that if I get my work done ASAP then I have to think about it and often time's go back and make it better. I was a data analyst for quite a few years and I'd always do my work the day as soon as it was assigned or my regular reports I'd update them as soon as the data became available. Just made everything run smooth. Being organized and using spreadsheets helps a lot.

Of course no one in Maynletberry, which has a median height of 5'4", says "height." But height matters.

Wow. I'm shocked and saddened by the state of answers here.

The #1 thing it takes to be successful is knowing the right people to make you successful.

Everything that was said in this thread could be perfect and it wont matter if you can't get yourself in front of the people who can put you to proper use.

Warren Buffett says- An idiot with a plan beats a genius with NO plan

What’s your plan?

The #1 thing it takes to be successful is knowing the right people to make you successful.

Everything that was said in this thread could be perfect and it wont matter if you can't get yourself in front of the people who can put you to proper use.
Yes and No. Knowing the right people is a cookie cutter business saying for having inside connections. In most real world careers knowing someone helps but at the end of the day having the degree/internship/certification required is really 90% of it.

Most of the very stable careers that have high promotion and low turnover they don't give a crap who you know.

For some random niche (like my brother who did real estate training and house flipping) then yeah having a specific mentor and connections is key since that information isn't readily available

that is so true.

networks and connections is key to anything. get a foot in the door and thats more than half the work done.

Making people want to work for you
prepared to sacrifice
Work hard everyday
Always try your best
Some good luck and bad luck is needed

Back