Let's talk about UFC Lightweights, man.

LitMatch

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The UFC Lightweight situation has gotten very exciting now that we are past the Frankie Edgar rematch logjam. You have to figure if Pettis beats Cerrone then he is next in line, but if Cerrone wins, then does he get a third crack at Bendo, or does Gilbert? And who is next in line after that? The Lauzon/Miller winner would be close, but they both were recently crushed by Pettis and Diaz. Plus Alvarez is probably UFC bound, and there is Maynard once he is healthy.

So basically who is the next #1 contender if Pettis loses, and who is next after that?

I'd like to see Maynard get in there with Bendo.

I want Chandler in the UFC, and I also want Melendez to fight Bendo. That will really help give an idea of where the top LW's deserve to be ranked.

In order of my excitement to see them fight Bendo:
1. Pettis
2. Maynard
3. Alvarez
4. Melendez
5. Cerrone

joe lauzon!!! i want him to rematch pettis so bad............he made a stupid mistake thinkin the kick was goin to the body....he blocked the kead kicks before that with ease....i think itd go way diff especially if he got him down

joe lauzon!!! i want him to rematch pettis so bad............he made a stupid mistake thinkin the kick was goin to the body....he blocked the kead kicks before that with ease....i think itd go way diff especially if he got him down

Yeah man, I know the fight was only a minute and a half and it's going to sound weird but Lauzon was doing well up until that head kick

I agree 100%. Not taking anything away from Pettis, but win or lose I see that fight going a lot differently. I think Lauzon doesn't risk it on the feet this time and takes him down like Guida did, only doesn't dry hump him for three rounds.

sure, let's talk LW's.

Bendo is #1. he just beat Diaz. but Diaz clearly beat Miller and Cerrone.

Pettis beat him but lost to Clay (fucking Clay) and is fighting Cerrone next. if he beats Cerrone he should have a rematch. he should have had one already.

Melendez and Alvarez may (or may not) be UFC bound. we'll know more soon. if they come, they could both be top 5, with Bendo & Maynard and Pettis (if he beats Cerrone). but they'll need to (and should need to) prove it before it is readily accepted.

if it all goes down that way it will look like this:

Pettis v Cerrone for a top 5 position (maybe top 7 if Cerrone wins, cuz many will still have him below Diaz, who will be around #5 or so)

Bendo fights Pettis if he wins. Benod won't fight Cerrone any time soon regardless of the Cerrone/Pettis bout, so if he wins Bendo might very well fight Alvarez next (unless Bellator matches the UFC offer).

and Maynard is trying to hold on to his Rich Franklin perennial #2 status with a win over Lauzon, but now that he's hurt, he's kinda fucked. sucks to be Maynard right now.

In order of my excitement to see them fight Bendo:
1. Pettis
2. Maynard
3. Alvarez
4. Melendez
5. Cerrone

I totally agree with this order.

Ben has a lot of good fights ahead. Lol at those who said he cleaned out the division.

I want Chandler in the UFC, and I also want Melendez to fight Bendo. That will really help give an idea of where the top LW's deserve to be ranked.
Gil needs to face, and defeat a top ten UFC LW, for example a Maynard or Cerrone in order to earn a Title Shot.
If it's gifted, as many are without merit recently, than so be it.

I don't know why alot of people keep thinking Maynard would have a chance against Bendo

And I suppose you have a compelling argument as to why Maynard wouldn't?
"I don't like Maynard" may be your only relevant fact.

Yeah man, I know the fight was only a minute and a half and it's going to sound weird but Lauzon was doing well up until that head kick

And a man using this logic is questioning Maynard? Only on Sherdog is there an abundance of posters whose reasoning could be challenged by that of a medium sized pebble.

I don't understand the support you are getting for this comment. I re-watched this fight just now to make sure that I remembered the fight correctly. Lauzon did not have anything for Pettis. He really didn't land one significant punch all fight. If they had a rematch, how would he win? Pettis has stand-up that is in a different league than Lauzon. Also, Lauzon does not have the wrestling to grind out a decision win over Pettis like Guida did. Pettis wins this match-up every time.

I don't understand the support you are getting for this comment. I re-watched this fight just now to make sure that I remembered the fight correctly. Lauzon did not have anything for Pettis. He really didn't land one significant punch all fight. If they had a rematch, how would he win? Pettis has stand-up that is in a different league than Lauzon. Also, Lauzon does not have the wrestling to grind out a decision win over Pettis like Guida did. Pettis wins this match-up every time.

ya. i've never understood the Lauzon hype. i think it comes from his FOTN style. but for every Varner victory (which i will admit he deserves big kudos for) and Melvin quick-sub, there is an equally unimpressive Stout UD dominating loss and Sotiropoulos disappointing show.

he's the LW version of Bisping; he beats most and loses to all top 10ers.

but hey, i guess folks like high risk / high reward fighters. ironically, i bet most Lauzon fans think Aoki is an overrated JMMA scrub :icon_conf

Sanity, at last. Good post.

Back