Let's talk about Thiago Santos vs Aleksandar Rakic

LoadedZeus

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Haven't seen many threads about the fight recently. The fight is an absolute banger. Both guys have insane ko power, huge size, striking prowess and speed to match. Can't imagine the fight being boring in any way. Interestingly enough, Thiago Santos is listed as an underdog in the fight right now, albeit a small one. Not sure I agree with that, what do you guys think? Please some one add a poll, results would be interesting.

Rakic looked like an absolute killer a couple years back when he knocked out Manuwa but his recent performances haven't been as dominant. Even so, Rakic has definitely proved he belongs at the top with his recent fights and everybody on notice with his ko power for sure. Also has brutal leg kicks, something Santos might want to watch out for.

Santos, on the other hand, knocked out the champ just a couple fights ago and arguably won a fight against Jones in many eyes. Also, his recent performance against Glover wasn't really bad overall, he landed great shots, it's just his grappling is definitely his weakness. Rakic comes from Muay Thai background so don't expect to see much of grappling anyways. Gonna be a great fight but it might actually be the toughest fight to bet on for UFC 259 imo. I'm picking Santos.
4MLeSDe.gif

FixedFirstDarwinsfox-size_restricted.gif
ScholarlyAdorableBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

3Npla.gif

RegalHappyHedgehog-max-14mb.gif

I like Rakic, I think he gets it done, he has brutal leg kicks and we don't know how Thiago's knee is coping still. I don't think I saw the Oezdemir fight though, I know it was a split decision, was that justified or do people think he should have lost or won that fight?

I think this could actually be FOTN which says a lot given the other fights above it.

Santos has peaked and is on the way down now because of mileage and injuries, still dangerous because of his power but that's about it.

Rakic on paper should be the favorite but in his last fight he showed he has more years of developing before he is a real top LHW, he lacked killer instinct and was nervous as hell that he humped Anthony Smith and celebrated like he just did a showtime kick. Suspect fight IQ we shall see in the long run.

Last edited:
I like Rakic, I think he gets it done, he has brutal leg kicks and we don't know how Thiago's knee is coping still. I don't think I saw the Oezdemir fight though, I know it was a split decision, was that justified or do people think he should have lost or won that fight?

I think this could actually be FOTN which says a lot given the other fights above it.

Oezdemir vs Rakic was a great fight, lots of back and forth. Rakic should've won that fight to be honest but Volkan had his moments. Santos is a different beast entirely, don't think Rakic has faced anyone quite like him yet, which makes it even more exciting. The real darkhorse of the division right now though is Jiri Prochazka, man ko-ed Oezdemir into oblivion and has a lot of hype behind him. Winner of this fight should face off against winner of Jiri vs Reyes, LHW is finally entertaining again

I think Santos gets this. Hope he does anyway never saw Rakic's Ozdemir fight it was streaming at like 3 am where I live and I just tuned in to Edgar vs KZ and went to sleep. I will have to watch that fight.

Someone is getting knocked out this fight that’s 100

This is my favorite fight on the entire card, by a good bit. It's the biggest tossup of all the fights on the main card, imo. If Rakic tries to implement a grappling heavy gameplan, I think he wins. If he tries to stand with Santos for 15 minutes, I think someone is getting caught and going to sleep, could be either one.

Gun to my head, give me Santos.

I like Santos, but I'm betting on Rakic

Thiago Santos is the messiest great fighter there is.
Nothing he does seems natural yet when he connects it’s like nothing else, part of me wants to see him go after the title as we know he can beat Blachowicz and a fight versus Adesanya would be fun.

Other part of me wants to see Rakic come through for the newer breed of LHWs, as it’s almost certain at this point Thiago is beyond his prime.. and no doubt Glover certainly is so the division desperately needs some younger blood.

Rakic via points,he will fight safe with tds

I think Oezdemir deserved the decision though it could've gone either way. But it was one of those fights where a couple of early calf kicks caused a huge swelling on Rakic's leg and compromised his performance for the rest of the fight. Personally I take those kinds of losses with a grain of salt.

Pulling for Rakic in this one. Santos is a great guy and an awesome fighter, but I want the young generation the make LHW great again.

I think Oezdemir deserved the decision though it could've gone either way. But it was one of those fights where a couple of early calf kicks caused a huge swelling on Rakic's leg and compromised his performance for the rest of the fight. Personally I take those kinds of losses with a grain of salt.

Exactly how I felt with Oezdemir/Reyes aswell to be honest.

Exactly how I felt with Oezdemir/Reyes aswell to be honest.
You mean Reyes got his nose broken in one of the first exchanges and fought the whole fight with his mouth open right?

Damn that guy is gonna have some nose problems...

Santos is already out of his prime now, he is still dangerous, but Rakic is on the rise and just hitting his prime, if he wins, this is a stepping stone to a title shot, if Santos wins, I honestly don't think he will stay in the top 10 for more then a few years, hes already 37.

Rakic has age and overall career progression on his side, and is a kickboxer that showed a well rounded skillset, could see him mixing it up and frustrating Santos at both facets of MMA, kinda like how the Smith fight went. Santos could definetly win, but I think the odds favour Rakic.

Santos is already out of his prime now, he is still dangerous, but Rakic is on the rise and just hitting his prime, if he wins, this is a stepping stone to a title shot, if Santos wins, I honestly don't think he will stay in the top 10 for more then a few years, hes already 37.

Rakic has age and overall career progression on his side, and is a kickboxer that showed a well rounded skillset, could see him mixing it up and frustrating Santos at both facets of MMA, kinda like how the Smith fight went. Santos could definetly win, but I think the odds favour Rakic.

If Santos is already out of his prime his prime lasted about 18 months lol.

MW Santos was nowhere near his prime as a fighter.

If Santos is already out of his prime his prime lasted about 18 months lol.

MW Santos was nowhere near his prime as a fighter.
Hard to imagine at 37 with messed up knees that he is. I don't think MW was a great weight class for him sadly, but he still got some decent wins atleast like against Anthony Smith and Hermansson. He also had some bad loses, like that ko against David Branch, maybe his chin was a bit compromised at MW.

Back