Lets talk about the Philly Shell in thai/kb

I just want to let you guys know last Friday, I tried using the philly shell in a partner shadowboxing spar. And I couldn't use it that well so I just used it a little bit, and work on it a little, while switching to a regular guard.

This is the only way to fight

High guard is impractical for MMA anyway with dem small gloves

This is the only way to fight

High guard is impractical for MMA anyway with dem small gloves

Honestly the philly shell where the guard hand is at your chin, and your striking hand is at your body isn't good for mma. If you have a high guard, or a peak-a-boo guard that's better. I never seen anyone use the philly shell in mma.

Honestly the philly shell where the guard hand is at your chin, and your striking hand is at your body isn't good for mma. If you have a high guard, or a peak-a-boo guard that's better. I never seen anyone use the philly shell in mma.
Because MMA fighters aren't skilled enough to implement it successfully

Because MMA fighters aren't skilled enough to implement it successfully

No they are, they just don't want to risk it because one hand at your body and one hand at your chin makes it harder to defend takedowns.

@ironkhan57

If everyone was as good off their backs as Werdum or Ortega, they could throw whatever the fuck they wanted with no regard for takedowns

<{shaqs}>

@ironkhan57

If everyone was as good off their backs as Werdum or Ortega, they could throw whatever the fuck they wanted with no regard for takedowns

<{shaqs}>

Your not getting it. A lot of the fighters in mma like to stand up and strike. If they get taken down than they get thrown off there game. That's why they don't use the philly shell.

The philly shell is best used for boxing and muay thai rather than mma.

I just want to let you guys know last Friday, I tried using the philly shell in a partner shadowboxing spar. And I couldn't use it that well so I just used it a little bit, and work on it a little, while switching to a regular guard.

Yeah unless you've got a guy teaching you it, you're gonna have a hard time. Honestly even Adrien Broner doesn't do well with it. There's a specific system behind it, how you chain movements etc. Like you may shoulder roll, from that chambered position fire back your straight or pivot off - things like that.

You might find that the armadillo guard helps you. It's essentially the cross arm guard from 'the lock' that Archie Moore used. You won't get a fluid system down for it unless you're being specifically taught it but it's good as far is defence, elbows and setting up a clinch.

Yoel Romero has had some success using this sort of guard in MMA - but the best version of it I've seen is Archie Moore's.

Yeah unless you've got a guy teaching you it, you're gonna have a hard time. Honestly even Adrien Broner doesn't do well with it. There's a specific system behind it, how you chain movements etc. Like you may shoulder roll, from that chambered position fire back your straight or pivot off - things like that.

You might find that the armadillo guard helps you. It's essentially the cross arm guard from 'the lock' that Archie Moore used. You won't get a fluid system down for it unless you're being specifically taught it but it's good as far is defence, elbows and setting up a clinch.

Yoel Romero has had some success using this sort of guard in MMA - but the best version of it I've seen is Archie Moore's.

Oh kaensak was one of my teachers for a year. Ah good times. The armadillo seems like I'm just going to get hit more in the body tbh. So idk whether I should use that. By the looks if the video with archie Moore in it, it looked like it's used for head hunters.

Oh kaensak was one of my teachers for a year. Ah good times. The armadillo seems like I'm just going to get hit more in the body tbh. So idk whether I should use that. By the looks if the video with archie Moore in it, it looked like it's used for head hunters.

actually i remember you saying about kaensak!

You use it in combination with other blocks rather than all of them

Back