Let's talk about the deep half guard

DushanS94

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys, lately I have committed my entire grappling free-time to studying the deep half guard/waiter half guard. I want to get really good at the entries first before I jump into any complicated sequences. If I get there, I usually try to sweep to the over under pass or try to take the back.

My reference point has been Ryan Hall's DVD series. What I"m asking you is to share your favorite entry and guard to set up the deep half. I know Jeff Glover, Cyborg and Pablo Popovitch all have different approaches to the deep half when compared to Ryan. While I prefer Ryan's, it is always good to be aware of all the possible options.

So, let's discuss your favorite way to enter and finish the sweep from deep half.

I usually play a shell-half guard variant with a vertical knee shield and the bottom knee on their hips, and try to keep control of their far arm while trying to fight for the underhook. When I get the underhook, I dive under their leg and torque their knee a-la Lucas Lepri and use their reaction to get into deep half. From there, I either try to enter a truck-like position to take the back, or just explosively come up and go to the over under pass.

EDIT: I am interested strictly in NO GI options, since I don't train in the gi :D

Your turn :)

Last edited:
My favorite entry is similar to your, off the Z guard, but another that I find works really well is off shin/shin when uke has one knee up and the other on the mat. Get the shin/shin contact, grab the leg, and then spin under in place (don't get nearer to uke) and you immediately end up in deep half with a front leg lever. This is a great option if you like playing shin/shin against standing passing and uke drops his back knee to the mat and hides his sleeves.

My favorite entry is based on the mount escape to deep half. I'll bait a pass to catch their foot, then pop that same-side knee up to swing underneath. The biggest detail I can emphasize, which is also the one I'm constantly working on, is letting your legs do the work when checking their base and getting into the position. Too often, I try to crab walk and yank myself onto the leg. Swing your legs in a circle, pull your knees to your chest, etc.- whatever works for you, just initiate the movement from your legs and hips.

Thanks guys :) Has anyone here had any success with getting to deep half guard from reverse de la riva?

Thanks guys :) Has anyone here had any success with getting to deep half guard from reverse de la riva?

When I used to play RDLR that was one of my favorite DHG entries. Just invert under like you're going for kiss of the dragon, kick up with your hook leg, and then grab a hold of it while resting your head over the none hooked leg.

Could be Faria's game applied by lighter weigh classes vs bigger guys? Like that single leg half with the lapel or the deep half also feeding the lapel?

My favorite entry is from when someone tries to stand in your z-guard/knee shield. If you time it right, they are wide open for the entry as soon as they stand and usually will fall right over as soon as you get to the position and switch your hips. Now all you have to do is maintain control over the leg as you come out the back door.

Could be Faria's game applied by lighter weigh classes vs bigger guys? Like that single leg half with the lapel or the deep half also feeding the lapel?

It still works, but it wouldn't be my first choice. A lot of Bernardo's game involves setting up his grips and then forcing his way into a single leg, that's much harder to do against a larger person even with the lapel feed. Getting to that single as a smaller person vs. a bigger one is much more about taking the right angle and forcing uke to move past you so you can get to your knees. Playing deep half against bigger people I much prefer to use leg levers as opposed to lapel feed sweeps, it keep their weight off you and steals their balance even if it doesn't set up a bullet proof pass like Faria's sweep does.

Back