Let's Talk About Shogun's Chin and BJ's Skin Instead of Jones' Reach

s1fys

abc
@Brown
Reaction score
Shogun's chin and BJ Penn's skin is something that Sherdog posters often overlook because they are too engrossed talking shit about Jones' long arms.

Chin, as far as we know, is natural and there is no scientifically proven way to drastically improve it. Some people are born with natural good chins, some with weak ones and one's chin is often an important factor in determining one's career as a fighter. Shogun Rua is obviously blessed with a great chin as we can see from the Henderson fight and I believe he is abusing this unfair advantage too much in his fights.

ufc-139-rua-henderson-1.gif

Just look at the way he took those shots with his iron chin!

Having tough skin is also beneficial in a MMA fight. It reduces a fighter's chance of losing via cuts, skews the judge's opinion to some extent and helps to boost a fighter's confidence. BJ Penn is the rare few that is known for having leather skin. He seldom bleeds even though he had taken many beatings in his career and I believe he has been abusing them for his whole career, especially towards the end where he started getting hit much more.

pf-penn-uno.jpg

See how fresh his face looked even after a five round war with Uno?

In addition, there is no disadvantage to having a strong chin and leather skin. Long arms, on the other hand, reduces the mass of muscle which a fighter can carry, makes the fighter more susceptible to arm locks and requires agility and a good game plan to be used well.

Ok that's it from me.

Very well said. I'm a big fan of Shogun, but I can admit that he would have a few more losses on his record if he didn't have Captain America's shield for a chin. Same with BJ. Legendary chin + alligator skin.

Look at Wand. He still has all the skills he did in PRIDE, and he hasn't shown any real physical deterioration, aside from his chin and recovery. His chin isn't terrible now, either. It's merely average. Wand with an average chin his whole career would have been a very good fighter, but not the All Time Great he became.

What about Hendo without an absurd chin and incredible KO power? What about Anderson Silva without otherworldly reflexes? Even as the GOAT striker, he never would have gotten away with all that clowning. Anderson idolizes Roy Jones Jr., and we saw what RJJ became without his insane advantages in speed and reflexes. Still impressive, but not untouchable.

What about Vitor without hand speed that can't be taught? Rampage without Hulk strength? What if GSP had the quickness and overall athleticism of Shields?

This is professional level sports in the modern era. NOBODY becomes a success without extremely honed skills, tremendous physical advantages compared to the average man, and intangibles (a natural feel for the sport, if you will).

Penn looked pretty bad after the Diaz beatdown..

Skin GOAT = Anderson Silva for sure. Not a single drop of blood ever seen in the octagon.

Very well said. I'm a big fan of Shogun, but I can admit that he would have a few more losses on his record if he didn't have Captain America's shield for a chin. Same with BJ. Legendary chin + alligator skin.

Look at Wand. He still has all the skills he did in PRIDE, and he hasn't shown any real physical deterioration, aside from his chin and recovery. His chin isn't terrible now, either. It's merely average. Wand with an average chin his whole career would have been a very good fighter, but not the All Time Great he became.

What about Hendo without an absurd chin and incredible KO power? What about Anderson Silva without otherworldly reflexes? Even as the GOAT striker, he never would have gotten away with all that clowning. Anderson idolizes Roy Jones Jr., and we saw what RJJ became without his insane advantages in speed and reflexes. Still impressive, but not untouchable.

What about Vitor without hand speed that can't be taught? Rampage without Hulk strength? What if GSP had the quickness and overall athleticism of Shields?

This is professional level sports in the modern era. NOBODY becomes a success without extremely honed skills, tremendous physical advantages compared to the average man, and intangibles (a natural feel for the sport, if you will).

Thanks for getting my point!

Sherdog need to remember MMA is, after all, a professional sport where no athlete should be getting shit for making the best out of what they have.

let's talk about actual fighters and not old washed up fighters who aren't relevant any longer?

Back