Let's talk about Sean Sherk

Great wrestler, with outstanding top game. He developed some good boxing also later in his career. Like everyone else said, only beaten by the best. Sherk was always one of my favorite fighters, heartbroken when BJ tko'd him, he should have been allowed to continue in that fight.

tumblr_m17kgfw4mt1qfrkf9o1_250.gif

Yeah he could have been allowed to continue, so he could be actually murdered in the ring.

I forgot who it was against, but he absolutely wrestle fucked someone in one of his title defenses. A lot of wrestlers just look to get on top and waste time, and desperately want to avoid getting stood up. Sherk ATTACKED and it wouldn't have mattered if you wanted to stand him up, he'd just get his opponent right back down. But you couldn't even stand him up because he'd always be working anyway, he'd work harder to advance and pummel his opponent than his opponent would work to get back up.

I'd say he's an easy top 10 LW, maybe top 5 if you really want to argue about it. LW doesn't really have that long and deep of a history as some other divisions.

But, he was generally considered a boring fighter. Maybe he was, I watched a handful of his fights and I thought they were good, but maybe his other ones were not so much. He lost some more time with that PED scandal, which so far he's probably the only fighter I've ever seen that seemingly managed to actually prove his innocence. He might have had a year longer if not for that. It's rare that a player gets accused of PEDs and then the fanbase just ignores it, because otherwise that fanbase would have to openly admit it was wrong for jumping to conclusions.

I think if Sherk came in later on, he could have really done more damage at LW and FW, he is closer to FW where he might actually have been able to stand and bang a bit. His boxing was technically sound, but he was just too small to fight with WWs, and even at LW he just wouldn't have the reach and power to really be able to vary his technique up enough to be truly elite. But at FW? Who knows. If Sherk was in his prime, a match against Aldo would have been interesting.

I forgot who it was against, but he absolutely wrestle fucked someone in one of his title defenses. A lot of wrestlers just look to get on top and waste time, and desperately want to avoid getting stood up. Sherk ATTACKED and it wouldn't have mattered if you wanted to stand him up, he'd just get his opponent right back down. But you couldn't even stand him up because he'd always be working anyway, he'd work harder to advance and pummel his opponent than his opponent would work to get back up.

I'd say he's an easy top 10 LW, maybe top 5 if you really want to argue about it. LW doesn't really have that long and deep of a history as some other divisions.

But, he was generally considered a boring fighter. Maybe he was, I watched a handful of his fights and I thought they were good, but maybe his other ones were not so much. He lost some more time with that PED scandal, which so far he's probably the only fighter I've ever seen that seemingly managed to actually prove his innocence. He might have had a year longer if not for that. It's rare that a player gets accused of PEDs and then the fanbase just ignores it, because otherwise that fanbase would have to openly admit it was wrong for jumping to conclusions.

I think if Sherk came in later on, he could have really done more damage at LW and FW, he is closer to FW where he might actually have been able to stand and bang a bit. His boxing was technically sound, but he was just too small to fight with WWs, and even at LW he just wouldn't have the reach and power to really be able to vary his technique up enough to be truly elite. But at FW? Who knows. If Sherk was in his prime, a match against Aldo would have been interesting.

think that was the hermes franca fight, that, the fight vs florian really showed just how much of a awesome wrestler and overall grappler Sherk really was. Dude was a beast. Definitely one of the most underrated champs of all time, along with Murilo Bustamante.

I'm sorry but I'll always remember Sherk as a steroid abuser who got stripped of his belt and then got taught a lesson by Baby Jay

25hjr5v.gif

If Sherk were fighting today, he'd probably be fighting at 135 or 145 at the most.

Definitely ahead of Joe Stevenson as the P4P stubby champ.

nick kicked his ass. sorry. rewatch the fight, nick did better

Sherks training single handedly revolutionized the way all mma fighters trained.

I remember after his ufc prime time episode came out, every gym out there started doing what he was doing for conditioning training.

I actually met Sherk!! He was very cool and it still shocks me how big he was for a guy his height.

He fought a lot of good guys but it seemed he could never stay heathy.

You do know when you are super short and have short limbs you get bulky much easier. There's not as much length to fill in. Steroids also helped quite a bit.

The UFC don't really mention former champs, other than Chuck, Hughes, Brock, Andy, the regs.

And lol @ your double thread making a$$.

He also lost to Evan Dunham despite what page 1 of this thread says.

Back