Let's talk about Sean Sherk

minotauro11

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to mma..so I'd like if some of you who have been watching mma for a long time could file me in on "musleshark"...what I find impressive is his record 36-4-1...I mean he lost to:gsp,edgar,bj and hughes...those are guys who are in the top 10p4p of all time..and top 2 in their division..

He only ever lost to the best and is one of the most underrated early UFC guys there is. The guy's wrestling was nuts.

Former champion, only lost to four great champs

Great fighter, seriously underrated on a list of all time greats.

I actually met Sherk!! He was very cool and it still shocks me how big he was for a guy his height.

He fought a lot of good guys but it seemed he could never stay heathy.

Great wrestler, with outstanding top game. He developed some good boxing also later in his career. Like everyone else said, only beaten by the best. Sherk was always one of my favorite fighters, heartbroken when BJ tko'd him, he should have been allowed to continue in that fight.

Great wrestler, with outstanding top game. He developed some good boxing also later in his career. Like everyone else said, only beaten by the best. Sherk was always one of my favorite fighters, heartbroken when BJ tko'd him, he should have been allowed to continue in that fight.

He should have had a different game plan for that fight.

Great fighter early on, he picked up some striking later on in his game but with t-rex arms it was never going to be a threat to the likes of BJ-Penn, who demolished him.

Overall i'd say he was a top 10 LW of all time.

still think dunham beat him, but he didn't take over till midway through the second round so thems the breaks

Sherk was awesome, down to earth and absolutely focused. There was a prime time special about his caveman training, it was insane.

His only problem was that he got too focused on boxing from the outside, and lost due to his trex reach.

If he'd stuck to wrestling and dirty inside boxing, he'd have smashed Penn.

Shame he never managed to get fit enough to make a comeback.

Let's talk about Sherk baby.

Let's talk about you and me.

Sherk was awesome, down to earth and absolutely focused. There was a prime time special about his caveman training, it was insane.

His only problem was that he got too focused on boxing from the outside, and lost due to his trex reach.

If he'd stuck to wrestling and dirty inside boxing, he'd have smashed Penn.

Shame he never managed to get fit enough to make a comeback.

Under no circumstances would Sherk have ever smashed Penn. I'm sure he realized that he wouldn't be able to take BJ down early in the fight, which is probably why he resorted to striking. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't survive the striking long enough to attempt to take advantage of BJ's cardio in the later rounds.

On topic, Sherk was great for his time. Like others have said, he only lost to the best and injuries robbed him of the end of his prime. Top 10 LW all time.

Back