Let's talk about Sean Sherk..

He was one of the first to develop a very Spartan-like training regime.

Testing positive for a banned substance hurt his career more than any fighter ever has. Even though he passed multiple lie detectors. I can only estimate that a mixture of a few or all the supplements he takes caused a false positive, or somehow a mixture made a banned substance.

I have massive respect for the man. Big respect.

Anyone have any idea what he's doing in retirement?

Yeah he actually submitted proof that some xyience supplement he had could cause a false positive. I could never wrap my head around why the NSAC still punished him.

He was a great fighter though

Sherk was a bad ass back in the day. The entire steroid crap is BS he was crucified by the CSAC which was horrible. Skip to 5:35

He should be considered a UFC Hall of Fame candidate. You have to remember that he was well past his prime when he held the LW title as well. Sherk also only lost to former UFC champions in his career, and is a prime example of how a fighter's cardio should be.

With that said, he probably stepped out of the game at the right time, you could tell that age had caught up and he was regressing. For some reason in the Frankie Edgar fight, he chose to abandon his wrestling and tried to stand with Frankie, but he didn't have the speed/skill at all to strike with him. If Sherk had used his wrestling in the first 2 rounds like he did in the 3rd, then he would have won that fight.

Great all time fighter though....

I'm willing to help you here, but I'm confused by the question, maybe we have a dialect issue, but what the fuck you asking?
I think he is asking for perspectives on Sherk based on stuff you wouldn't necessarily find on Fight Finder/Wiki, so like, his outstanding cardio, iron chin, etc...

He's widely considered the most conditioned fighter in the history of MMA (his cardio was not only elite but freak like considering the amount of muscle mass he carried).

I wonder how he managed that :)

He was always a solid fighter. He had very good wrestling and incredible cardio, so if you didn't have the skills to keep him off of you, you were in trouble.

After he lost to Penn, he also showed he had a decent boxing game. But that was also a bit of his downfall. He started trying to box with other fighters who had more natural gifts for boxing.

His fight against Tyson Griffin was truly great though.

Yeah he actually submitted proof that some xyience supplement he had could cause a false positive. I could never wrap my head around why the NSAC still punished him.

He was a great fighter though

Because they're fucking corrupt.

They rehire Cecil Peoples repeatedly, and that boxing judge that screwed over Pacman and called Mayweather's 2nd to last fight a draw.

And they give Overeem a 6 month suspension for testing positive for a banned substance after years of suspicion of using steroids, and on the same day they suspend Nick Diaz for smoking weed.

I could go on and on, trust me.

dunno much about him except for: T-rex arms. The dunham split dec... o_O. and the beatdown BJ laid on him.

You also know that he never fessed up, and I think you left that out on purpose.

He is a guy that PROBABLY should have been at least at 145lbs his whole life.

His fight with Florian is still gruesome as hell to watch with how Florian's shorts go from white to a darker pink color throughout the fight.

You think he's guilty?

He went silent.

IMO, silence is an admission of guilt.
Then guys do some research and come up with an excuse that fits into their plan.

Chael went silent for almost 2 months after the big headlines.
Sherk went completely silent.
Barnett went silent.

If you can explain it, speak up right away when you fail the test.
IMO, the right to give an explanation expires two days after a failed test.

He went silent.

IMO, silence is an admission of guilt.
Then guys do some research and come up with an excuse that fits into their plan.

Chael went silent for almost 2 months after the big headlines.
Sherk went completely silent.
Barnett went silent.

If you can explain it, speak up right away when you fail the test.
IMO, the right to give an explanation expires two days after a failed test.

He was quite vocal and still is, in fact.

Sherk was an absolute beast. As others have pointed out, just look at his record. best of the best without a doubt.

Sherk never beat many elite opponents. When Benji Radach, Kenny Florian, and Nick Diaz are your best wins... Meh.

He was just one of the few American fighters still fighting in America during a time when every elite LW jumped ship and went to fight in Japan.

Sherk never beat many elite opponents. When Benji Radach, Kenny Florian, and Nick Diaz are your best wins... Meh.

He was just one of the few American fighters still fighting in America during a time when every elite LW jumped ship and went to fight in Japan.

He did fight in Japan. Granted it was against a journeyman his reason for not returning was fighting wasn't really paying the bills for his life and it was costing him even more to fly overseas.

He was quite vocal and still is, in fact.

July 7, 2007 is the date of Sherk's fight against Hermes Franca.

What is the date of his first statement after the failed test?

One of those interviews states that he was stripped on Dec 7. So that interview happened after Dec 7. The EARLIEST it could have happened was 5 months after the Franca fight.

July 7, 2007 is the date of Sherk's fight against Hermes Franca.

What is the date of his first statement after the failed test?

One of those interviews states that he was stripped on Dec 7. So that interview happened after Dec 7. The EARLIEST it could have happened was 5 months after the Franca fight.

July 24, 07

"The following statement was released by Sean Sherk and his representatives, in regards to the recent suspension and fine handed down to the fighter by the California State Athletic Commission. Sherk has confirmed to the CSAC he intends on appealing their decision August 6th.

Sean Sherk Denies Doping Charges, Files Appeal With California State Athletic Commission

Brooklyn Center, MN (July 20, 2007)- Sean Sherk, the UFC Lightweight World Champion, has filed an appeal against the doping allegations of the California State Athletic Commission, and has retained Howard Jacobs of Los Angeles, California, to represent him in connection to those charges.

Mr. Sherk issued this statement:

"At the present time, I cannot explain the positive drug test in Sacramento, California . I know that I have never used any steroids or other banned substances, and I am investigating possible causes of the positive test with my attorney. I have never cheated, and all of my success has come from hard work and dedication to my sport.""

http://www.lockflow.com/forum/topic/sherk-issues-statement

August 1, 07.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/08/dana-white-on-sean-sherk-i-believe-him

It isn't Sherk talking but it's the earliest article I believe is out there.

Sherk was always top 10 and a former champ. Never got full respect from the fans though. I like him.

First time I saw a Sherk fight I think was the GSP fight, I was thinking wow that is a huge size differential. The impressive thing about Sherk is, guys with a ton of muscle usually gas pretty quick, Sherk on the other hand had insane cardio.

Yeah, his cardio was off the charts. I remember reading a statement from him where he said if he had to he could fight five five-round fights one right after another (i.e. he could fight a 125 minute fight). I assume that's not actually true, but if it is, that's crazy as shit.

Back