Let's talk about Sean Sherk..

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by minotauro11, Jun 4, 2014.

1. minotauro11

minotauro11 Yellow Belt

I've been following mma for about 2 years so I'd like if someone could tell me something about him..something from a perspective of a hardcore mma fan...I've searched wikipedia and sherdog..now I'd like you to tell me something more...I'm really impressed with his record 36-4-1...and all 4 losses came from guys who are top 10 p4p of all time...and are/were greatest in their divisions..2 of them(gsp and hughes)...who are big welterweights.

2. Szwok

Szwok Brown Belt

dunno much about him except for: T-rex arms. The dunham split dec... o_O. and the beatdown BJ laid on him.

3. spid3yo

spid3yo Guest

Wasn't expected to do much in the Hughes fight but went the distance which surpassed everyone's expectations and put him on the map. These days he gets hate by newer fans (drug test fail, Dunham decision, BJ fight) but looking back he had one hell of a career and was great for the sport.

4. Dana likes to talk about Renan alot recently but Sean was 31-1-1 when GSP made him scream "AAAArgh" with the same armlock Jon just used on Glover.

It happened a few minutes before Georges gave him a hellbow to the nose to end the fight.

The only fighter to beat Sean up to that point was the reigning UFC WW champ and future hall of famer, Matt Hughes. Matt wasn't able to stop Sherk in that fight though.

TS, something else that might interest you is Sean only lost to current/future Hall of famers: Hughes, GSP, Baby Jay and Frankie Edgar.

5. GordaoPreguico

GordaoPreguico Red Belt

Good fighter who had some of the shortest arms ever. But he really only lost to the best.

He also was beaten by vampire Penn.

6. BomberMan

BomberMan Brown Belt

First time I saw a Sherk fight I think was the GSP fight, I was thinking wow that is a huge size differential. The impressive thing about Sherk is, guys with a ton of muscle usually gas pretty quick, Sherk on the other hand had insane cardio.

7. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

You like GSP. We get it.

8. BomberMan

BomberMan Brown Belt

I thought Sherk screamed after being hit with an elbow? Iirc correctly.

9. bellend

bellend Brown Belt

Sherk was a beast, I never understood what happened with the PED test he failed. He claimed he was innocent all along, during the suspension he missed out on a lot of good opportunities to fight.

10. jd12688

jd12688 White Belt

Very good wrestler. Very mediocre striker. I have always been a fan though. I thought he would rule LW division... until BJ dropped weight

11. Gyro

Gyro Guest

He was very good for the time and could defiantly hold his own today if it wasn't for his age. He was one of the first guy to have truly crazy cardio and could go non stop for 5rounds. His stand up was never that good and he really did have T-Rex arms but the short arms and complete lack of neck combined with his strength made it incredibly hard to sub him. He had one of the best doubles I've ever seen but in a few of his fights he got caught up in wanting to throw punches, losing the game plan, and lost the fights because of it. Also worth noting is he had quite a few boring fights which is why he got a lot of hate but he defiantly made a name for himself. It just sucks he had to retire due to injuries right around the UFC got big.

12. 560ti

560ti Brown Belt

He's widely considered the most conditioned fighter in the history of MMA (his cardio was not only elite but freak like considering the amount of muscle mass he carried).

13. RandomForumUser

RandomForumUser White Belt

Sherk's record is padded from fighting on the midwest regional scene. At the time the UFC was still young and not sure they even wanted a lightweight division. He did win the title after if was vacated by Jens Pulver but tested positive for steroids immediately afterwards and stripped of the belt. He hung around kinda as a gatekeeper after that but always had that steroid stain on him. I believe he got let go after Frankie beat him up pretty good.

14. Gyro

Gyro Guest

From my understanding is him and franca both popped on the test. I've heard the test got messed up and I've also heard someone was doping his supplements. He claimed he was clean and subjected to a lie detector test and was found to be telling the truth and only got a 6month suspension. I could be remembering incorrectly though.

15. Mikeyz

Mikeyz Silver Belt

I really miss that GSP that wrecked Sherk.

His career is over because of constant nagging injuries during camp IIRC.

16. Gyro

Gyro Guest

He had fights after Frankie. I knoe at least against Tyson and Dunham and was suppose to have even more but was plagued with injuries.

17. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Brown Belt

If I remember correctly he actually presented a pretty strong, compelling defense to the CSAC to which they basically said, "....aaggghhhh......well.....hmmmmm......your suspended anyway. Dont bring that logic crap in here". I believe his defense pointed out a bunch of errors in the testing procedures and he may have even presented his B sample which was clean. Hopefully someone can fill in the gaps but that is what I remember.

18. Mikeyz

Mikeyz Silver Belt

He had a great fight with Dunham after the Edgar fight, but, yeah he wasn't the same at all.

19. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

He was pretty good. Wasn't particularly exciting. He tested positive which tarnishes his record pretty heavily imo.

20. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

He was one of the first to develop a very Spartan-like training regime.

Testing positive for a banned substance hurt his career more than any fighter ever has. Even though he passed multiple lie detectors. I can only estimate that a mixture of a few or all the supplements he takes caused a false positive, or somehow a mixture made a banned substance.

I have massive respect for the man. Big respect.

Anyone have any idea what he's doing in retirement?