Let's talk about Kesa Gatame/Scarf Hold

I love the Kesa Gatame. It's great. If you place the weight of your torso on the right area of your opponent/partner (the ribcage is the sweet spot), you can pin him down with minimal effort, and even cause discomfort on him.

In my AV, I'm performing an ude-garami lock on my opponent with my legs figured four. That's my go-to move when I'm in that position. And then there are some other transitions I can make if I fail to lock in that Americana...

For years my Av here was me with a kesa on my opponent (Judo, so I could win by pin).

If I had to rank my techniques for the ippon win by frequency it would be Osoto, Kesa, Ura Nage and Sumi.

For years my Av here was me with a kesa on my opponent (Judo, so I could win by pin).

If I had to rank my techniques for the ippon win by frequency it would be Osoto, Kesa, Ura Nage and Sumi.

Funny that you mentioned that. I learned the reverse ude-garami lock from an Erik Paulson instructional that I watched 10 years ago. I decided to experiment with this peculiar move on my training partners at my university jiu-jitsu club that day, and ever since then, I was tapping out opponents in competitions with great frequency.

As for the Kesa Gatame position, I was taught how to pin the opponent down to the ground the proper way when I was training Judo on the side as a supplement. It's one of my favorite positions, and I favor it over the side mount.

Shit, there's this awesome submission hold from the Kesa that I do occasionally that involves grabbing the gi pants. I learned it from Nino Schembri when he crushed the living death (ahahahaha) out of my ribcage with it. TOP SECRET! MAYBE SOME OTHER DAY I'LL SHARE!

Last edited:
Funny that you mentioned that. I learned the reverse ude-garami lock from an Erik Paulson instructional that I watched 10 years ago. I decided to experiment with this peculiar move on my training partners at my university jiu-jitsu club that day, and ever since then, I was tapping out opponents in competitions with great frequency.

As for the Kesa Gatame position, I was taught how to pin the opponent down to the ground the proper way when I was training Judo on the side as a supplement. It's one of my favorite positions, and I favor it over the side mount.

I'll be honest as a Judoka turned BJJer I'm more comfortable in kesa than mount. It blows my partners minds when I will go from mount to kesa rolling. I just feel more control that way. Yes I realize that there are more opportunities in mount, but I'm trying to overcome 6 years of habit (there is no reason to abandon a pin in Judo for a sub unless you feel like the uke is going to bail)

I'll be honest as a Judoka turned BJJer I'm more comfortable in kesa than mount. It blows my partners minds when I will go from mount to kesa rolling. I just feel more control that way. Yes I realize that there are more opportunities in mount, but I'm trying to overcome 6 years of habit (there is no reason to abandon a pin in Judo for a sub unless you feel like the uke is going to bail)

No shit? I thought I was the only one who did that. But in my case, I picked up BJJ first, then Judo second.

I will occasionally humble folk from Kesa Gatame, the main method I will use is the Udegarami with the leg whilst pulling on the head.

My Kesa gatame escapes are pretty powerful too.

OP, ya cunt. Remember me?

Negged. Lmfao

My first grappling vids that really blew up on my old channel
I am thinking I give about 32 submissions overall?

A little low percentage but if you guys get success with this one please msg me somehow,
I usually just hit from N/S or some other situations

Only part way through but good stuff here.

Feel free to post the escape.

I don't think a video exists. It's just something that I adapted from a Nino Schembri video when he's rolling with Budo Jake.

you should try it out, its awesome.

I have. I'll use it for a split second to pull up the near arm. Then I settle back into regular side control with their near arm crushed against their head. Other than that, no thanks.

This is a matter of preference for me. With basic side control I have a solid base. With KOB or twister side, I have base and freedom of movement. With kesa, I feel like I sacrifice both. There's just nothing I can think of that I need from kesa that I can't get from any plenty of other positions.

I don't think a video exists. It's just something that I adapted from a Nino Schembri video when he's rolling with Budo Jake.

I have. I'll use it for a split second to pull up the near arm. Then I settle back into regular side control with their near arm crushed against their head. Other than that, no thanks.

This is a matter of preference for me. With basic side control I have a solid base. With KOB or twister side, I have base and freedom of movement. With kesa, I feel like I sacrifice both. There's just nothing I can think of that I need from kesa that I can't get from any plenty of other positions.

control, inflict pain discomfort, if you can neck crank, neck cranks, armbars, americanas, theres a shit ton of choices from kesa, waaay better than twister side control, even more if you think no gi, since mount isnt as dominant as with the gi. But to each his own, im simply suggesting to play with the position, if you know how to use it, tis awesome and lots of fun.

control, inflict pain discomfort, if you can neck crank, neck cranks, armbars, americanas, theres a shit ton of choices from kesa, waaay better than twister side control, even more if you think no gi, since mount isnt as dominant as with the gi. But to each his own, im simply suggesting to play with the position, if you know how to use it, tis awesome and lots of fun.
I love twister side control but the two biggest options are rolling back attack or mounting them, everything else is pretty low percentage

I love twister side control but the two biggest options are rolling back attack or mounting them, everything else is pretty low percentage

yeah, and the rolling back take is just not something people give up these times... So that pretty much leaves you with mount, and no gi, I rather have side control or NS (and of course back mount overall)

yeah, and the rolling back take is just not something people give up these times... So that pretty much leaves you with mount, and no gi, I rather have side control or NS (and of course back mount overall)
Yeah, I use twister side control to "cook"/ride our the spazzingredients after I get side control... I'm pretty comfortable riding out and controlling twister side. After I settle them down I go back to regular and either set up a north south choke or kimura grip

Yeah, I use twister side control to "cook"/ride our the spazzingredients after I get side control... I'm pretty comfortable riding out and controlling twister side. After I settle them down I go back to regular and either set up a north south choke or kimura grip

uhmm I suck at controlling people from text book twiuter side control, I do go to reverse kesa or 3/4 NS when shit hits the fan though lol, 3/4 NS is my go to control position, mostly because im always threating the NS choke. (3/4 is somthing like 10 o clock position if that makes sence)

uhmm I suck at controlling people from text book twiuter side control, I do go to reverse kesa or 3/4 NS when shit hits the fan though lol, 3/4 NS is my go to control position, mostly because im always threating the NS choke. (3/4 is somthing like 10 o clock position if that makes sence)
Makes perfect sense haha, I've been working on offense from there and regular north south. And I've just always been comfortable in twister side control

The kneebar at 40min35s is easy and fun. Nobody expects leglocks from kesa.

Like I said, it's a matter of preference. It's like trying to convince someone who doesn't like beef to try a ribeye. I know it's effective. It's just not my thing.

Not really. Darce. Reverse arm triangle. N/S choke. Russian cowboy. And it's not that hard to force the truck.

Okay. Escapes.

There are two options I know:

1. You can wiggle your elbow into the pocket of space around your armpit. Usually, when your opponent pins you down with the Kesa Gatame (as I always do), he'll grab your arm and place it on top of his thigh. His other arm will be around your neck. Once you get your elbow in that position, you can start shrimping out through the backdoor, and if he's not careful, you can end up taking his back.

2. Clasp your hands together with your arms wrapped around his torso, shrimp your center of gravity (hips) next to his, swing towards his direction a little bit for a little momentum, and then swing in the opposite direction to reverse him. Now you'll end up in the side mount or even the Kesa Gatame itself.

Like I said, it's a matter of preference. It's like trying to convince someone who doesn't like beef to try a ribeye. I know it's effective. It's just not my thing.

Not really. Darce. Reverse arm triangle. N/S choke. Russian cowboy. And it's not that hard to force the truck.
Fair enough, I just don't have a feel for those, but against savvy opponents I use the fishnet setup for the truck more than the twister roll / rolling back attack.

Okay. Escapes.

There are two options I know:

1. You can wiggle your elbow into the pocket of space around your armpit. Usually, when your opponent pins you down with the Kesa Gatame (as I always do), he'll grab your arm and place it on top of his thigh. His other arm will be around your neck. Once you get your elbow in that position, you can start shrimping out through the backdoor, and if he's not careful, you can end up taking his back.

2. Clasp your hands together with your arms wrapped around his torso, shrimp your center of gravity (hips) next to his, swing towards his direction a little bit for a little momentum, and then swing in the opposite direction to reverse him. Now you'll end up in the side mount or even the Kesa Gatame itself.

I found that in Judo (so gi obviously) reaching up on tori's collar with the far hand, gripping and forcing your knuckles into the base of his skull to force the head down is a good way to start the escape. He either goes head low, offering you a backdoor escape or pushes his head back to open the bridge and roll or let's you snag his head with a leg if you are so blessed to be gangley.

Then there's the stubborn bastards that will deal with your fist in their medulla oblingotta to win.....

Note: have not tested this in BJJ....my teammates don't have the same love for kesa.

let's you snag his head with a leg if you are so blessed to be gangley.

Yeah, that's another way to escape from the Kesa. Usually, I counter it by keeping my head as low as possible so my opponent won't be able wrap my neck with his legs.

my teammates don't have the same love for kesa.

Ha. You and me both.

Yeah, that's another way to escape from the Kesa. Usually, I counter it by keeping my head as low as possible so my opponent won't be able wrap my neck with his legs.

Ha. You and me both.

There's a middle ground for head height I believe. Too low and it's out the back door if the bottom guy knows his shit, too high and it's legs or rolling.

Back