Let's talk about getting joints popped

FlowWithTheGo23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Seems to be a common discussion.

A few years ago someone grabbed a toe hold on me. I didn't think they had it, until it popped. I didn't feel anything until maybe the next day. Had a sprained ankle for a few weeks or so.

Last night someone put me in a sloppy knee bar. My knee popped. There was no pain or anything, and I went on to roll for the rest of the class (tapped some good people too). Woke up today with my knee stiff as hell. I'm hoping/expecting that a few days rest will do the trick as well.

Anyone have something similar happen?

Yep, had a pop from a kneebar last week- didnt hurt or feel stiff at the time, and I kept sparring as well. Then I woke up in the middle of that night and it was super stiff and very sensitive to the touch. But 2 or 3 days of Icing and elevating it fixed it up quick.

Only once, i was a yellow belt in judo competing in the open weight black belt division (mix grappling tournament; winners of weight classes had the option of a round robin). Got seio nage'd and armbarred hard and fast by a guy 50lbs heavier. It still clicks randomly to this day. It was fine the next day in terms of swelling and pain. Was a fun day.

Yep, had a pop from a kneebar last week- didnt hurt or feel stiff at the time, and I kept sparring as well. Then I woke up in the middle of that night and it was super stiff and very sensitive to the touch. But 2 or 3 days of Icing and elevating it fixed it up quick.

That's good to know. I'm pretty stiff today.

It's just very odd. It's not like I was trying to be some tough guy and didn't tap to a deep kneebar. It was shallow, loose, and didn't have the angle. I still can't explain why it popped. It's like if someone popped your elbow with an armbar that was ABOVE the joint and their legs weren't pinched together. Makes no sense.

One pop = you're fine after some ice and rest

two pops = you're fine but it's going to be swollen for a few days and sore for 1-2 months but you're fine. (I've had my elbow get the two pop twice and big tournaments then go on to compete the next week and place first at a smaller tournament)

three pops = go see a MD

^ one pop to my teammates ankle in a straight lock; torn ATF ligament. It don't work like that gon sarnit.

Lol, one time I was in a really shitty Triangle that I literally didnt even bother doing anything about because it was barely even a leg on shoulder position.

Anyways, Im laying in my bed at home, and I gotta get up to catch my bus to college and then I remember I forgot to do my report.
Then, I blink and I'm looking up at all these super bright lights, and my jiu jitsu coach is standing over me and I cant hear anything.

In that split second the only rational explaination my brain could comprhend was that I had died and was in purgetory. So I JUMPED up, grabbed my coach by the neck, fist cocked back ready to strike, and SCREAMING at the top of my lungs "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON" (which I still couldnt even hear myself).

Slowly my hearing comes back and everyone is laughing.

Turns out that shitty triangle was indeed supdr loose, but i literally sat in it for like 3 minutes and it just was choking me SO SLOWLY and lightly that I couldnt even tell.
Thankfully my partner realizded i was unconcious when i started foaming at the mouth and convulsing lol.
And I naturally Lucid Dream all the time as well, so when I was KO-ed and "woke up" to go to college it legit was as real as this is now.

It was fucking awesome, and I wish so babdly thag coulda been caught on video lol.

Last edited:
^ that was the only time i passed out also; during technique allowing my partner to do a gi choke. Wasn't tight, so i didn't tap. She got pissy and left. I rolled to move forward and the next thing i know i'm crawling like a zombie and everyone is staring at me all weird. I couldn't stand, i could hear but couldn't talk. It was like when a video game glitch occurs it was hilarious.

Last night someone put me in a sloppy knee bar. My knee popped. There was no pain or anything, and I went on to roll for the rest of the class (tapped some good people too). Woke up today with my knee stiff as hell. I'm hoping/expecting that a few days rest will do the trick as well.
Disclaimer: I think everyone should train leglocks. They are an important part of jiu jitsu that should not be ignored.

Now that that is out of the way, what you describe is exactly the inherent danger of leg locks. You do not have the same number of pain receptors in your leg joints as you do in your upper body (arm/wrist/shoulder etc). The fact that you do not feel the pain does not mean the same damage is not being done to the joint that would be on an elbow or shoulder.

I believe you when you say you weren't trying to be a tough guy, but you have to get it in your head that sometimes, you should tap to a leg lock, even if it doesn't hurt. I've gotten braver with them as I've gotten more experienced, but I'm still not waiting for pops to tap.

I believe you when you say you weren't trying to be a tough guy, but you have to get it in your head that sometimes, you should tap to a leg lock, even if it doesn't hurt. I've gotten braver with them as I've gotten more experienced, but I'm still not waiting for pops to tap.

I'm pretty experienced and have been training for a number of years now. What I meant is that if it was a deep kneebar I would have had no problem tapping. I didn't tap because it just wasn't a good knee bar; wasn't deep, not a good angle, etc. It was loose and the guy doing it isn't too great at leg locks.

I hear ya. Those things are just weird sometimes. No way of knowing how experienced you are. Hope it heals up for you.

didn't tap to an armbar in time...heard 3 quick pops.

couldn't extend my arm for like a month, and my elbow would pop multiple times a day. after about 2 months I was fine.

Several times unfortunately. Like you, early on in my jiu jitsu career I was put in a Toe Hold and it didn't hurt until the pop, which turned into a sprained foot, took a few weeks to heal.

Popped my right elbow from an overzealous training partner applying a telephone style short armlock very aggresivley a few years back - that one took a while to get back to 90% (Never really fully got to 100, still gets wonky from time to time)

And a kneebar, which was the lightest injury wise - just hurt for a day or two.

I had my knee pop one time.
A friend of mine was drilling some weird 10th planet stuff and he had my leg in a lockdown while turning, somehow my knee was stuck in the mat while he twisted the leg and i felt my knee pop three times.
After that Icould move the leg in every possible way without pain, but i couldn't fully extend it.
It hurted a lot.
I iced it and took desinflamatory pills until I got it checked by a sports MD.
He said that the knee had sufered some twisting and pulling that had swollen up my bursa, he diagnosed mild Bursitis.
I was training in less than a week.

I got caught in a sloppy side knee bar once and the guy torqued it fast so I tapped. I remember the side of my knee was sore for a good two weeks and I was kind of worried then it healed and havent had problems with it since.

My ankle poped and I couldn't train for two weeks.

Several times unfortunately. Like you, early on in my jiu jitsu career I was put in a Toe Hold and it didn't hurt until the pop, which turned into a sprained foot, took a few weeks to heal.

I've been training for about 10 years, so no, not like me.

No one liked my story :(

Lol, one time I was in a really shitty Triangle that I literally didnt even bother doing anything about because it was barely even a leg on shoulder position.

Anyways, Im laying in my bed at home, and I gotta get up to catch my bus to college and then I remember I forgot to do my report.
Then, I blink and I'm looking up at all these super bright lights, and my jiu jitsu coach is standing over me and I cant hear anything.

In that split second the only rational explaination my brain could comprhend was that I had died and was in purgetory. So I JUMPED up, grabbed my coach by the neck, fist cocked back ready to strike, and SCREAMING at the top of my lungs "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON" (which I still couldnt even hear myself).

Slowly my hearing comes back and everyone is laughing.

Turns out that shitty triangle was indeed supdr loose, but i literally sat in it for like 3 minutes and it just was choking me SO SLOWLY and lightly that I couldnt even tell.
Thankfully my partner realizded i was unconcious when i started foaming at the mouth and convulsing lol.
And I naturally Lucid Dream all the time as well, so when I was KO-ed and "woke up" to go to college it legit was as real as this is now.

It was fucking awesome, and I wish so babdly thag coulda been caught on video lol.

Purgatory. Are you Catholic?

Back