Lets talk about climbing the ropes

Ive decided to add rope climbs to my regular conditioning routine(i believe my rope is about 18-20ft). My short term goal is to build up to 3 sets, up and down the rope with no break or pause at the bottom, using arms only. Long term goals would include 5 sets no pause or break and/or 10-15 sets with a 30 second to a minute break in-between.

Most of the time when people climb ropes its once or twice as a part of an overall circut routine but has anyone else used ropes as a major exercise like im planning to do? If so where you pleased with the results? I think this could drastically increase grip and upper body strength. Do you guys feel this is a worthwhile endeavour?

Used in this way would be great , however to gain the greatest strength benefit you want it to be challenging . If you can climb the rope 10 times with a very short break I would suggest adding a vest to your workout . This will obviously add the the difficulty and your body will respond by becoming stronger .

How much do you weigh ? Im 255 and can only do a 23 foot climb for a set before a couple min rest . I do , however , do modified climbs in the way you describe . Overall , the rope is amazing and different then other grip movements , as it strengthens the bottom three fingers tremendously .

On the subject of one-armed chin-ups and developing strength towards them, Jim Bathurst is a pretty cool guy, does OACs and doesn't afraid of anything: http://www.beastskills.com/one-arm-chin-up-pull-up/

Also, I have to admit that your claim of building the strength for a OAC on a lat pulldown struck me as somewhat dubious. I don't believe I've ever met anyone who developed strength for one-arm chins on a machine.

On the subject of one-armed chin-ups and developing strength towards them, Jim Bathurst is a pretty cool guy, does OACs and doesn't afraid of anything: http://www.beastskills.com/one-arm-chin-up-pull-up/

Also, I have to admit that your claim of building the strength for a OAC on a lat pulldown struck me as somewhat dubious. I don't believe I've ever met anyone who developed strength for one-arm chins on a machine.

It's teh same range of motion, working the same muscles.. And it is a way you can load weight at wtevr level you are at. Once I got to the point that I could do 205 on a lat pulldown with one arm (other on wrist) I knew I could do the pullups, because I weighed like 212 at the time, and could 'kip' ever so slightly.

I would say it's a no brainer.

It's teh same range of motion, working the same muscles.. And it is a way you can load weight at wtevr level you are at. Once I got to the point that I could do 205 on a lat pulldown with one arm (other on wrist) I knew I could do the pullups, because I weighed like 212 at the time, and could 'kip' ever so slightly.

I would say it's a no brainer.

There is a difference between a closed-chain and open-chain kinetic exercise. But, I'd rather not get into that right now.

There is a difference between a closed-chain and open-chain kinetic exercise. But, I'd rather not get into that right now.

I am not familiar with that, and I don't think I need to be, no offense. If you want to get stronger at grabbing a bar and pulling, grabbing a bar and pulling using progressively heavier weight is not a bad way to go imo. I am not trying to be curt or rude. One time, I tried to do a (somewhat) one arm pull up, at 232 lbs I could not do it. I worked on that particular kind of pulling strength using a single grip on a lat pull down, and then I could do one arm (somewhat) pull-ups. I actually never saw somebody do a full one arm pull up in real life until this thread, and I worked in gyms for years. I will use a single grip on a lat machine to see how much I can pull down one handed with no hand on the wrist, just to see how close I am to being able to do my own weight. Pull ups are actually (usually) easier than pull downs, because you get your abs into pull ups, and the slightest "kip" actually makes a difference.

A lat pull down machine is a simulated pull up, where you can use lower than your body weight, or higher than your body weight. If done right, I know it makes pull ups easier.

^ and yet you can't do real one arm chin ups. I would say that's evidence that the transferability of the lat machine is quite low. Like most things, you need to practice the actual movement.

lol'd at bold

Jim is a super nice dude who happens to be strong as fuck. He's kind of been my man-crush for a few years now, because his skillset is essentially what I'm aiming for, but with more aerial acrobatics.

Jim is a super nice dude who happens to be strong as fuck. He's kind of been my man-crush for a few years now, because his skillset is essentially what I'm aiming for, but with more aerial acrobatics.

Word. His hand balancing stuff is definitely worth a read.

Back