Let's settle this once and for all: Who's the greatest lead guitarist of all time?

I guess it also depends what you consider a lead guitarist to be. It seems different people think it means different things.
Yeah I actually have no clue and I don't listen to enough rock to make that call. Slash must be a lead guitarist but he's a totally different type of player to John Frusciante right? yet surely he is lead guitarist too, there wasn't any other guitarists in the chili peppers (at the same time at least)

I think half of a lot of lists are made up of people who overplay, but that's just my opinion.

It's weird how I used to worship technical playing and pursued it intently. I learned polyrhythms and odd time signatures and exotic scales and tricky picking techniques.

But that stuff starts to feel so emotionally empty.

The best solos aren't the fastest. They're not the flashiest, and they don't employ an arsenal of techniques only other guitarists and musicians can appreciate.

Most people who listen aren't going to be impressed because a passage was played with a flatted third or that it was a specific beat subdivided a certain way.

They notice mostly if a solo moves something in them.
I tend to think that's why so many people love David Gilmour's playing for example.

I think half of a lot of lists are made up of people who overplay, but that's just my opinion.

It's weird how I used to worship technical playing and pursued it intently. I learned polyrhythms and odd time signatures and exotic scales and tricky picking techniques.

The best solos aren't the fastest. They're not the flashiest, and they don't employ an arsenal of techniques only other guitarists and musicians can appreciate.

Most people who listen aren't going to be impressed because a passage was played with a flatted third or that it was a specific beat subdivided a certain way.

They notice mostly if a solo moves something in them.
I tend to think that's why so many people love David Gilmour's playing for example.
Nice to see Gilmour getting the love in this thread.

Im sure he sleeps just fine with his 100 million regaurdless lol. But its cool how dedpite never being impressivly fast or showing off hes the most mentioned name in this thread.

Nice to see Gilmour getting the love in this thread.

Im sure he sleeps just fine with his 100 million regaurdless lol. But its cool how dedpite never being impressivly fast or showing off hes the most mentioned name in this thread.
He's the most accessible. Talent without going overboard. No "look at me!" stuff, just a great sense of melody and good note choice. Everybody likes his solos, totally tasteful.

He's the most accessible. Talent without going overboard. No "look at me!" stuff, just a great sense of melody and good note choice. Everybody likes his solos, totally tasteful.
Pink Floyd is goat level shit.

And it sure as hell wasent because of Roger Waters bass playing and Nick Masons drumming. He deserves every bit of credit

That's why the Blues is so respected by so many different players. Gotta have soul to play the blues. At least, to play it right.

That's why the Blues is so respected by so many different players. Gotta have soul to play the blues. At least, to play it right.
Oh yes. You can play blues progressions without an ounce of soul, no conviction.
I personally find too many blues players go to the well too often. The blues bores me but the greats are great to me. Albert Collins.

Almost the only things that matter to me anymore are guitarists who play with feeling, and good sound, tone.

Slash doesnt get enough credit, an absolute wizard.

Agreed.

The tone he gets on the intro for Sweet Child O'Mine is in the history books for setting the standard for what a Les Paul should sound like.

Oh yes. You can play blues progressions without an ounce of soul, no conviction.
I personally find too many blues players go to the well too often. The blues bores me but the greats are great to me. Albert Collins.

Almost the only things that matter to me anymore are guitarists who play with feeling, and good sound, tone.

That's why I added 'to do it right'. To me, that's one of the many things that made Jimi so amazing -dude was just filled with 'soul'. That's another reason you never heard him play it twice the same way.

'I've heard people copy my mistakes' lol

Yeah, the eternal search for ones tone is most likely a lifelong process for most of us. Some lucky bastards nail it tho and get to spend the rest of their time perfecting it.

Agreed.

The tone he gets on the intro for Sweet Child O'Mine is in the history books for setting the standard for what a Les Paul should sound like.
I cut out the guitar solo from that song to use as my ringtone, it's so badass but I do feel guilty ditching all of Axel's vocals plus the first 3 minutes or so of the track. I only hear it for a few seconds anyway but it's almost as if it's the thought that counts <45>

Name any guitarist you believe is the "greatest" and there is an argument for who another fan\player believes is greater.Far too many players with far too much diversity to call one the greatest.
PS..no mention of Jason Becker,Marty Friedman,Eric Johnson,Rory Gallagher,Tony McAlpine...far too many to list.

Whoever played lead guitar on Blinded By The Light is a god damn hero

Slash's best stuff is whatever he releases next.

I'm serious........he's miles away better than he's ever been.

VanHalen is far and away more than the albums show.

Even drunk, coked up, smoking cigarettes, and truly shook with a recent cancer diagnosis, he can still put skill, tricks, boogie, and emotion in his playing.

Slash's best stuff is whatever he releases next.

I'm serious........he's miles away better than he's ever been.

VanHalen is far and away more than the albums show.

Even drunk, coked up, smoking cigarettes, and truly shook with a recent cancer diagnosis, he can still put skill, tricks, boogie, and emotion in his playing.

is that really the audio for that footage? sounds amazing

That was probably him at his personal rock bottom which makes it amazing.

Michael Angelo Battio can play two guitars each faster than somebody who claims to be a good guitar player usually plays only one guitar

That was probably him at his personal rock bottom which makes it amazing.

If emotionally, that would work best for him. I used to write songs, but only when I'm depressed or something. The guitar soothes my soul.

But when I'm happy, I just go out.

Back