Let's settle this once and for all: Who's the greatest lead guitarist of all time?

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix? John Petrucci? Yngwie Malmsteen? Eddie Van Halen? Eric Johnson? Steve Vai? Anyone else?

For my money and being a beast live/in the studio.
487594537503_1304584823345723641_L.png

But honestly, a lot of famous guitarists say Prince was actually the GOAT

Agree with the first reply, far too subjective to settle.

Hendrix, Prince, Paco de Lucia, Ry Cooder, John Mclaughlin, George Benson, David Gilmour...

Can never get enough of this guy

Last edited:
For my money and being a beast live/in the studio.
487594537503_1304584823345723641_L.png

I love me some AC/DC, but Angus is actually one of the least skilled lead guitar players in Rock N' Roll. It works, but when it comes down to it his skill set is average.

I usually believe there is a very small group of people who are number one. Same as when people say whats your favourite song or album.
However, Hendrix is the number one because he did more that anyone else and he was bigger than being just a guitarist. He changed things in a huge way.

Lots of other players are better than Hendrix technically but its not about that.
I'd love to hear an album by EVH, or Satriani or Vai or any other speed merchant, where they didn't shred at all. Can't be done though.
So what if Yngwie can play a load of notes quicker than Hendrix could, or quicker than Gilmour can, so what? That doesn't make him a better guitarist does it?
Those shredders sound like they're practicing scales really, really fast, that's all.

Is Satriani better than Brian May, is Vai better than Gilmour, i'd say no.

best.......<Fedor23>

google it, you'll find many lists that have Kirk Hammett #1......<Dany07>

Only nerds care.

Good song writing is far more important than being "technically proficient".

Eddie Hazel

Ernest Ranglin

Tony Rice

Davy Graham

Impossible to say.

All depends on what you prefer to hear.

Imo, Guthrie Govan is the best I've ever heard, he's literally the most talented, skilled and versatile player alive in my book.

But I'm sure many would disagree.

Petrucci, Vai, Gilbert and Mats Haugen are great to me awell.

I love me some AC/DC, but Angus is actually one of the least skilled lead guitar players in Rock N' Roll. It works, but when it comes down to it his skill set is average.
This is true, a traditional Rock and Roll guitar player like Young is pretty low on the totem pole in terms of skill, but he can write, that's more important.

Having a ton of skill isn't that important if you can't write worth a damn.

Lol!

In the 70s, his speed and ability was alot higher than average. Like.. A whole lot higher.

I wouldnt consider him in this discussion.. But saying hes one of the least talanted people in rock music?

Ill throw another mention for David Gilmour

Just incredible taste and phrasing. Some of the best solos ever imo.

For just all around retarded skill, Vai and Petrucci hold that down still IMO.

These dudes all are great too

Jimmy Page
Dimebag Darrell
SRV
Slash
Satch
And so on. I think at a certain point theresjust incredible musicians and its impossible to say ones better than the other. Theres variables to it all. I dont really like discussing music as a contest.

Lol!

In the 70s, his speed and ability was alot higher than average. Like.. A whole lot higher.

I wouldnt consider him in this discussion.. But saying hes one of the least talanted people in rock music?

I meant least when comparing him to stand out lead guitar players. Like previously mentioned he could wright, but when it comes down to his chops he is average when it comes to being a professional guitar player. He basicaly just hangs out in a pentatonic scale every song.

I'm not trying to say he sucks, because he doesn't, but he doesn't belong in a virtuoso conversation. It's like trying to throw Lars Ulrich into the same category as guys like Buddy Rich, Dana Carey, Neil Pert, and John Bonham.

Back