Let's settle this: Is WARRIOR a good MMA movie or not?

The Lee Murray movie would be hard to make when your lead character is basically a villain.

I dunno, people get into that shit sometimes. Look at Bonnie and Clyde.

Though they could always turn up the dramatization and make it a cat and mouse game between the criminals and the grizzled detective who took them down.

Great family drama. Terrible MMA movie.

It's the best fictional MMA movie to date. And it's a decent movie too.

I really liked how they had all the identifiable characters from MMA at the time, like Koba was Fedor, Joel Eggerton was Rich Franklin... there were some more but it's been a while since I've seen it.

Plus Nick Nolte makes every film better.

One thing that did ruin the movie a little is that Joel Eggarton or however you spell his name, looks too much like Conan O'brien. I can't take him seriously in any film.

The Lee Murray movie would be hard to make when your lead character is basically a villain.

Not at all, what about pretty much every gangster movie ever? It's just an account of their lives and what happened.

I agree with you if it's a typical, underdog overcoming adversity and winning in the end movie, but if it was a gritty and realistic movie, it could definitely work.

The movie is chalk full of clichés, subpar storyline and predictable plot. But there are great performances by Nolte and Hardy that elevate the movie. I really liked the final scene of the movie even though it is corny, but it was well executed. I'd give the movie a 7

I really enjoyed it. Obviously it was cliché and anyone who knows MMA counted a bunch of holes, but it was well acted.

Hands down the best MMA film I have seen. Fight scenes were a bit unrealistic, and the fast editing made the fights not very enjoyable, but that's a pet peeve. Great movie overall.

Tom Hardy and Chael Sonnen killed it in the roles of the rival siblings. The actor playing their dad also really did a great job.

Hands down the best MMA film I have seen. Fight scenes were a bit unrealistic, and the fast editing made the fights not very enjoyable, but that's a pet peeve. Great movie overall.

Tom Hardy and Chael Sonnen killed it in the roles of the rival siblings. The actor playing their dad also really did a great job.
Not sure if serious

Very good movie for a one time viewing IMO.

I prefer the tv show Kingdom. It also has Frank Grillo (Crossbones in Captain America 2 and 3) playing an MMA trainer. Many UFC fighters make cameo appearances. A few high profile MMA trainers make cameos.

The main character played by Frank Grillo is a retired Pride champion. They keep referencing him being retired and having fought in Japan.

They make small references to the UFC, where characters talk about considering a move to the UFC.

It gets a bit depressing at times, with seemingly every character having serious psychological issues and it gets a bit tiresome. But overall I enjoyed it a lot.

Nick Nolte elevated the film. He was tremendous.

As much as I admire Hardy and Edgerton the film would have been a lukewarm cliche without Nolte's performance.

the answer to "Is WARRIOR a good MMA movie or not?" is yes.

I think it's a good movie overall. It uses MMA as the framing piece of its story which is more of a drama about family and estrangement and catharsis. If you're looking for straight up MMA awesomeness though- well, it's lacking in that department. I feel like they didn't really know what they wanted there with that tournament in terms of building Hardy up as a destroyer and also having Angle as Fedor so Edgerton basically has to triumph over two world-beaters. Hardy, Joel, and Nolte all give very strong performances in the film though.

What I'll say is an underrated mma movie is Kevin James' Here Comes the Boom. A lot of cameos from the mma world that fans would appreciate and some funny wink and nod jokes (Chael getting subbed by James and then protesting to the ref that he didn't tap). The only thing I'd really complain about it it is that it's not that funny. But in terms of telling its story well enough, having some good mma fight moments, and having a lot of guest appearances, it delivers.

It's the best movie about MMA. But the MMA in it is a little unrealistic. Not in the techniques that are used, but in the theatrics of them and the likelyhood of them.

Like, if I remember correctly, Brendan (the BJJ brother) catches two different fighters (granted, one being his untrained brother) in an omoplata. In the entire history of modern MMA, how many people have been caught in an omoplata? Maybe a hand full. And this dude gets two in one tournament. There's also a moment where he gets locked in a deep rear-naked choke for about 30-40 seconds and doesn't go unconscious.

Then there's Tommy (Marine brother). Despite only ever training in wrestling (and whatever military training he received) and his trainer/father being a pure wrestling coach, he has good enough boxing and Muay-Thai(???) to outstrike and KO, supposed, world class MMA fighters with ease. Also, his wrestling(and Koba's for that matter) essentially boil down to him picking people up and throwing them across the cage like they're stuffed animals.

But it is a very good Rocky-esque movie.

I enjoyed it. I loved when hardy would annihate guys. The ppl behind this movie loved mma and it shows

Back