Let's settle this: Is WARRIOR a good MMA movie or not?

G

Guestx

I assume everyone here knows the movie.

Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy, and Nick Nolte, along with UFC alumni Anthony Johnson, Nate Marquardt, Yves Edwards and a few other recognizable faces . . . all in what was perhaps the first serious take on MMA on the big screen.

I've heard some MMA fans say they think the movie is great. I've heard some say they think it is terrible.

Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle but overall I thought it was really well done both in terms of a story of conflict within a family as well as being a realistic and respectful take on the sport of mixed martial arts.

So what say you? Where do you fall when it comes to this movie?

Warrior_Poster.jpg

I'd say yes. It had cliches and typical "fight movie" drama, but overall it was good.

It is the best MMA movie but with such a lacking amount of data that doesnt mean much. I found it ok even though I remember there being times where I was shaking my head.

Well made, good acting, but at best it's a "decent" movie.

I loved it. Good storyline. Only time I ever felt bad for a deserter.

The guy playing the promoter reminded me of Bjorn Rebney a little (coincidence?).

it's a very good movie, mma or not.
Hardy is excellent, Nolte is huge.

Loved it. Watched it at least 5 times and still get that rush when he 1st spars Grimes.

Better than Here Comes the Boom.

Fantastic movie. Nick Nolte should have won the Oscar that year.

it's a very good movie, mma or not.
Hardy is excellent, Nolte is huge.

I agree on Hardy. He is really good here, as he is in pretty much every role he plays. His character here kind of seems like a not-so-distant cousin to Mad Max.

Good movie. I went to go see it with a number of friends who aren't MMA fans and they really enjoyed it. Hell, even my mom enjoyed it.

Of course, the fights aren't very realistic, but the fights are about as realistic as the boxing was in Rocky.

The lack of realism in either movie in regards to the fights doesn't detract from either movie being good though.

I knew that comment was going to come back and bite me.

If I remember correctly, the powerbomb in the movie wasn't from Koba (had to look the character's name up) trying to escape a triangle. It honestly looked like something from a pro wrestling match. I understand that it's a movie and some things have to be exaggerated (I love the Rocky franchise), but I just didn't buy anything in that movie: the characters/plot/fight choreography. All of it was over-the-top and cheesy for me

Back