Let's settle this: Is it good that Goldberg is leaving or not?

Is it good that Goldberg got fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yea, he wasn't the best but he fit in well.

D-level commentator for D-level athletes.

It isn't good or bad. It simply doesn't matter.

Casuals will never know he is gone.

Hardcores love him, but many hate him and want him gone. Those guys that hate him are in for a rude awakening though, because I guarantee you that they'll hate the next guy much worse.

Everyone knows that Goldberg is terrible, but many of us are used to him, and have a Southern Comfort type of feeling to hear his voice while watching a fight. After while, you learn to appreciate what he brings even if it is terrible.

Does that make sense at all? Maybe not, but many will understand and relate to what I'm saying with Goldberg. I'm very sad to see him go.

It isn't good or bad. It simply doesn't matter.

Casuals will never know he is gone.

Hardcores love him, but many hate him and want him gone. Those guys that hate him are in for a rude awakening though, because I guarantee you that they'll hate the next guy much worse.

Everyone knows that Goldberg is terrible, but many of us are used to him, and have a Southern Comfort type of feeling to hear his voice while watching a fight. After while, you learn to appreciate what he brings even if it is terrible.

Does that make sense at all? Maybe not, but many will understand and relate to what I'm saying with Goldberg. I'm very sad to see him go.

I agree with the "Southern Comfort type of feeling" sentiment.

I still think it's a bullshit move to just kick somebody out who has been a loyal company man all these years. I get that these are new owners, but I also feel like they take on something of a responsibility to respect the legacy of the previous owners. And Goldberg is part of that.

Welcome to the real world.

I'm sure this wasn't out of the blue either. There have been rumors for months.

I don't mind him leaving if there's a better replacement. Anik isn't better than him. Neither has technical knowledge as a pbp guy like Quadros did. Goldie & Anik write stats down pre-fight and robot them out. But Goldie has the voice to lift the event up, while Anik doesn't. So really Anik doesn't have anything other than consistency to offer (Anik was much better on MMA Live, he's a good show host behind the desk).

While if the Jim Rome rumors are true you don't get insight from him, and not a strong voice neither, but more opinions since that's his thing, even if those are ignorant.

i will miss him. He had terrible moments but he was part of the ufc.

It's going to suck not having him around. Of course he was always far from perfect, but it's just weird to think of him being replaced. Not only that, but has it been confirmed who will take his spot? Because if it's really Jim Rome, I can't imagine that ending well.

Don't like it. I liked Goldberg. I also don't trust the new owners to bring in someone good.

Neither option applies.

It's good, in a vacuum, because Goldberg isn't great.

It's bad, if it means Jim Rome gets the job, because Jim Rome is a raging douchebag.

Nothing about loyalty or whatever other bullshit. This is a business.

Will be interesting to see Rome and Rogan together. Rogan wont take shit from him at all.

i liked the rogan goldie team better than any other combo and it wont be the same anymore. but in terms of quality commentating, stann is amazing.

Doesn't matter. It will be settled after UFC 207.

How are we supposed to answer this question without seeing how his eventual replacement does?

Personally while he isn't the best representative for the sport while it tries to go mainstream, I will miss him.

After 15 years of listening to his idiocy it doesn't bother me. I actually really enjoy his flubs.

i liked the rogan goldie team better than any other combo and it wont be the same anymore. but in terms of quality commentating, stann is amazing.

I think Stann is often better than he's given credit for.

Speaking of fighters doing commentary, I miss Mir doing the WEC events. And Jens Pulver was always good too and I thought he should've gotten more opportunities.

basically yes, it's just going to take some getting used to not hearing his voice.

however if jim rome is the only option, then hell no it's not a good thing.

I still think it's a bullshit move to just kick somebody out who has been a loyal company man all these years. I get that these are new owners, but I also feel like they take on something of a responsibility to respect the legacy of the previous owners. And Goldberg is part of that.

Just kick him out? He has had a set very well paying job announcing with many side opportunities doing the tv shows promotions ect. He has has a dream job for most and it is just time to move on. The UFC shouldn't have too settle for his B level talent because he has worked for the for many years. If He had more and better paying opportunities he would have taken them. You will see he wont be able to replace this income. His TV shows ect were good for his resume ect. I think the UFC has given back plenty to him.

B level talent might be stretching also. No one person who has been announcing the same gig for 10 years should screw up as bad as he does. I also believe the UFC stood by his side when he was having personnel issues.

I think Stann is often better than he's given credit for.

Speaking of fighters doing commentary, I miss Mir doing the WEC events. And Jens Pulver was always good too and I thought he should've gotten more opportunities.

I thought frank was great, wish they would bring him back

People don't realize that play by play announcers are there to tell you the play by play in an exciting fashion. They aren't there to break down the technicalities of grappling and striking. That's what the analyst is for.

Most sports have a voice for their play by play. Marv Albert, Al Micheals etc. No one expects those guys to tell you all the ins and outs of the game. That's what the ex players are doing there next to them as the analysts.

For some stupid reason people have always expected UFC's play by play guy to be an expert on the sport and it's just not necessary. The voice is what really captures people. It's why Anik is so dull. He doesn't have a voice for it. Goldberg and guys like Mauro Renallo do.

It's BS in my opinion. The whole unprofessionalism from Dana, Goldberg, Rogan etc. is part of the charm of the UFC.
I fear the UFC will just turn into any other sport franchise. Same generic tweets and statements put out.

No more Dana making fun of Cyborg walking like Wanderlei, no more Goldie mistaking a low for a high kick.
They don't even have real post fight pressers anymore. Those were golden moments like Bisping Rockhold.

People will miss that stuff ones the UFC is just another sport franchise with no personality.

No, because Jim Rome is perhaps the primary cancer in modern sports journalism history. He's the template for all the no-substance contrarian talking head shock jocks that populate BSPN and most major media markets in sports talk. If he's the commentator, I'll try to avoid anything he's connected to. Between this, and the Cowherd and Bayless hires, FS1 is losing more and more of my approval.

Back