Let's relax about Wonderboy

He's more GOAT than McGroober.
Conor fears him.

Even if Thompson never wins the gold he has given us some great moments and has some awesome stoppages to his name - he's had a worthwhile career at this point no matter what comes. I love his Stittgen KO, just perfect. Hendricks is a huge name on his resume too.

Yeah, I've been a fan since the Stittgen KO. I was a little salty about the Brown loss, but I've been a big fan of Brown too, so it wasn't that bad. I knew Wonderboy was still young and he'd learn and improve. And here he is years later pulling off the best win of his career in amazing fashion. Yeah. I'I'm a fan for life.

can't speak for all GOAT fans, but RDA is a tough fight. I have and never will claim McGOAT is going to run through RDA or Khabib, or any of the other contenders at 155

Wondergoat is the new goat . I'm sorry buddy to burst your bubble. You will be the last Conor fan left.

There's still room on the wonder train if you want on.

The thing we might not get to see if how great his BJJ has gotten.

"Once Hendricks could not successfully take down Wonderboy, the fight was over. Any other rocket science I have to explain lol"
The rocket science here is that you keep on missing that Hendricks was never in the fight. From the opening bell he was outclassed and Thompson appeared to have a noticeable advantage the second they came out.

The fight wasn't over when Hendricks wasn't able to take Thompson down, it was over when the bell rang and he had no answer for Thompson's kicks. The fact of him being able to take down or not being able to take down Thompson was never a deciding factor. It was the being unable to stop getting punched and kicked in the head thing.

Quit pretending like there was a defining moment when Hendricks realized he couldn't take down Wonderboy and thus the fight was over.

I understand where TS is coming from. There have been countless hype trains that have been built after an amazing performance. That being said, just let us be excited. It's not often that we get to see a fighter showcase the "artist" part of the term "martial artist". Thompson is awesome and inspiring. You can see that he brings another level of striking and movement to the MMA game. He just made the WW division even more exciting.

That was straight up thing of beauty we witnessed tonight, but people acting like Wonderboy is going to walk through guys like Lawler, Condit, and Rory Mac are out of their mind. Once Hendricks couldn't take him down, his t-rex arms had no shot against the length and versatile striking of Wonderboy. Lawler, Condit, and Rory all have similar reaches to Wonderboy. I give Wonderboy a very good shot at beating those guys, but let's not get carried away.
Plenty of people have been talking him up for quite some time. Those threads just got lost in the hundreds of Conor threads. :rolleyes:

Wow, TS couldn't even wait a day before ruining the party.

Wonderboy is definitely the GOAT...no question about it.

The rocket science here is that you keep on missing that Hendricks was never in the fight. From the opening bell he was outclassed and Thompson appeared to have a noticeable advantage the second they came out.

The fight wasn't over when Hendricks wasn't able to take Thompson down, it was over when the bell rang and he had no answer for Thompson's kicks. The fact of him being able to take down or not being able to take down Thompson was never a deciding factor. It was the being unable to stop getting punched and kicked in the head thing.

Quit pretending like there was a defining moment when Hendricks realized he couldn't take down Wonderboy and thus the fight was over.
still trying? I can't recall the time in the first round, but after Hendricks realized he was getting outstruck, he went in for a double and it got stuffed pretty easily. A guy who is a D-1 wrestler who has the second most takedowns in UFC welterweight history, getting stuffed rather easily was the precise moment I knew he was going to lose the fight. I absolutely agree he was getting completely outclassed on the feet from the opening bell, but until I saw he couldn't take him down, I couldn't make the determination that he was completely out of this fight. Hendricks has shown to have a granite chin and even when he was getting clipped, I just assumed he would shoot and then control Wonderboy on the ground. Boy was I wrong, but I repeat, not until Wonderboy easily stuffed his takedown did I realize he pretty much had no chance of winning this fight.

That was straight up thing of beauty we witnessed tonight, but people acting like Wonderboy is going to walk through guys like Lawler, Condit, and Rory Mac are out of their mind. Once Hendricks couldn't take him down, his t-rex arms had no shot against the length and versatile striking of Wonderboy. Lawler, Condit, and Rory all have similar reaches to Wonderboy. I give Wonderboy a very good shot at beating those guys, but let's not get carried away.
Too late...we're officially carried away.

WAR Wonderboy!

And here he is years later pulling off the best win of his career in amazing fashion. Yeah. I'I'm a fan for life.

Funny because only two or three days ago someone said they were "picking Hendricks because Wonderboy's punching sucks." I was going to point out he had four stoppages from punches, figured I'd let it slide. Wish I hadn't! It's easy to be a fan of Thompson.

Ts has some good points, it is strange how little he was talked about here prior to this fight.
Glad people are taking notice.
His best win before this fight was a first round KO via spinning shit over Ellenberger. Which is good but plenty of people have beaten Ellenberger at this point. He just lost on the prelims not long ago.

Then he goes on to become the first guy to KO Hendricks and he does it in a round. That's a way bigger win.

Funny because only two or three days ago someone said they were "picking Hendricks because Wonderboy's punching sucks." I was going to point out he had four stoppages from punches, figured I'd let it slide. Wish I hadn't! It's easy to be a fan of Thompson.
I got on the bandwagon after the Whittaker win. Whittaker is a decent striker but he got outclassed by Thompson.

It was an awesome performance, but it was also the 1st time we saw Johny post USADA. And he ducked VADA so...
Him and Weidman looked very below par since USADA

Lawler struggles with less talented rangy strikers. Condit is sloppy with his technique and has frequent defensive lapses. Rory's a good all around striker, but not great.

I favor Wonderboy in all 3 matchups.

Back