Let's Make Atomweight for Michelle

Your opinion on creating a new 105-lb division

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
20161216_0005_Michelle_Waterson.jpg

“I would love for there to be a 105-pound division for Michelle," said Mike Winkeljohn to BJPENN.com. "She is small for the division, but with that being said, she is right there. It is only the top two or three girls that are doing it to her at the moment that using the size. She is back in the gym and knows she made some mistakes. I’m thinking Joanna is going to win the world title, but we are trying to get Michelle to get some muscle and try to get that back.

10604564_710729932353050_1823502991075093557_o.0.0.jpg

"Michelle is a highly marketable and a great fighter and can go against any fighter in the division. She is going to work on some skills and work on muscle.”

630169390.jpg

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exc...ichelle-waterson-also-want-namajunas-rematch/

Last edited:
There is already a 105lb division in Invicta where it belongs... along with women’s 115, 125, 135, and 145

Yes. it made no sense to make WMMA divisions for 135 and 145, where there is significantly lower talent pools than 105 and 115

As long as the talent is there, why not?

It'd generally help a lot if the UFC would pay their fighters better though, making for more athletes chosing fighting as their career.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. WMMA is actually doing quite well right now. I think nunes and Zhang are going to be fantastic for WMMA. The LAST thing the ufc should do is spread out the talent. The top of the women’s divisions are pretty solid, but there’s no arguing the talent is not deep. A rank 15 middle weight vs a rank 5 middle weight for men’s is competitive. For women it’s a slaughter. It sucks for Michele but there needs to be at least 15 people in mind before creating a division or you get men’s flyweight 2.0

Counter-offer: introduce weight cutting restrictions and most fighters will move up a weight class. Michelle could stay at 115 presumably. They could bring in some Atomweights from Invicta to fill out that division from there.

145 might even be a legitimate division afterwards.

I don’t want her losing any more of that thickness. Ya feel me?

FB5FE7F3-7BD2-48AB-A228-DD19F262E2E0.gif

No more divisions please, no more meme belts

Meh, there’s hardly enough talent to justify how many women’s divisions there are already.

105 just sounds too unhealthy for my tasting for a grown adult don't matter what gender u are..

20161216_0005_Michelle_Waterson.jpg

“I would love for there to be a 105-pound division for Michelle," said Mike Winkeljohn to BJPENN.com. "She is small for the division, but with that being said, she is right there. It is only the top two or three girls that are doing it to her at the moment that using the size. She is back in the gym and knows she made some mistakes. I’m thinking Joanna is going to win the world title, but we are trying to get Michelle to get some muscle and try to get that back.

10604564_710729932353050_1823502991075093557_o.0.0.jpg

"Michelle is a highly marketable and a great fighter and can go against any fighter in the division. She is going to work on some skills and work on muscle.”

630169390.jpg

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exc...ichelle-waterson-also-want-namajunas-rematch/

She cant make 105 anymore

She's fought 1/3 of her career at 105, the rest at 115 and higher (even as high as 125)

The whole "shes an atomweight" is a bit of a myth

And shes already said she would never go back to 105, one weight cut the doctors could not even find her pulse.

Flyweight (1)
King of the Cage

Strawweight (14)
UFC x 7
Strikeforce x 1
Ring of Fire x 3
Rocky Mountain x 1
Crowbar MMA x 1 v Masako Yoshida (Title fight)
Extreme Beatdown x 1 v Elena Reid

Atomweight (6)
Invicta x 4
Jacksons MMA Series x 1
Extreme Beatdown x 1 v Rosary Caifarno

Unknown (2)
South West Cage Association x 1 v Krystal Macatol
Duke City MMA Series x 1 v Karina Taylor

Even prior to joining the UFC she had fought as many times at 115+ as 105

Last edited:
If they ever do make 105 it'll likely to be to try and capitalise on Angela Lee's popularity in South East Asia.

Nah i disagree. If your a 5'2 female 115 might be a perfectly healthy weight (assuming a 10lb cut to 105).

yeah depends really, you're right from that perspective, shorter girls can pull it off healthier.. Thank you for clarifying that up.

“Neutral” is the closest option I saw to “Don’t care”, so that got my vote.

105 lbs.??? This isn't pron!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind it, I feel like 115 is the strongest women's division by far and 105 is probably well within the range of the weight your average woman would make if she was in fighting shape. There's enough fighters out there to make a half decent division already and more would surely follow.

If the division had Angela Lee, Tecia Torres, Ayaka Hamasaki, Seo Hee Ham, Jinh Yu Frey, Ashlee Cummins, Viviane Pereira, Lyndsay VanZandt, Xiong Jingnan and Alesha Zappitella then I feel that's an okay start.

A year or so ago I would have said yes, because she is a little cutie.

But she got so annoying with her 'Mom champ' shit that she can stay where she's at.

Back