International Let's get ready to Rumble. Battle for DNC soul underway. Bernie stands up for Omar over Israel

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ILHAN OMAR CONTROVERSY: BERNIE SANDERS, KAMALA HARRIS AND ELIZABETH WARREN DEFEND CRITICISM OF ISRAEL
Senator Bernie Sanders came to the defense of Representative Ilhan Omar as the Minnesota congresswoman faced backlash over remarks that some perceived as anti-Semitic. Sanders said there was a key difference between anti-Semitism and legitimate criticism of the Israeli government.

The Vermont senator criticized House Democrats' reaction to Omar after she was heavily condemned for her tweet that said: “I should not be expected to have allegiance/pledge support to a foreign country in order to serve my country in Congress or serve on committee.” Omar was referring to Israel.

The comment, which has been rebuked by members of her own party, was seen as exploiting anti-Semitic tropes and attacking U.S. support of Israel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omar-bernie-sanders-kamala-harris-elizabeth-warren-criticism-israel-1354668?amp=1

Look at how Bernie cowers like he did to those BLM girls.

Oh wait, that is everyone else cowering from the Israeli lobby.

Just like with Saudi Arabia, Bernie doesn't cower from foreign lobbying groups.

Big Dick Bernie, showing who the cowards actually are, once again.

Discuss.........

This whole contreversery will go the way of a certain SNL skit.
And then experience the fate of that very same SNL skit.

According to Bernie...

"we must not equate anti-Semitism with legitimate criticism of the right-wing, Netanyahu government in Israel."

Bernie is absolutely correct. So, maybe Omar should just stick with criticizing the right-wing government in Israel? Or maybe even actually start, rather than criticizing her colleagues and fellow Americans?

Harris claps back at her.

"You can both support Israel and be loyal to our country."

That's something that Omar seems not to have considered.

According to Bernie...

"we must not equate anti-Semitism with legitimate criticism of the right-wing, Netanyahu government in Israel."

Bernie is absolutely correct. So, maybe Omar should just stick with criticizing the right-wing government in Israel? Or maybe even actually start, rather than criticizing her colleagues and fellow Americans?

Ilhan Omar, Aipac and Me

But that is also where our differences begin.

I don’t like Aipac because I strongly believe in the right of the Jewish people to build a nation-state in their ancient homeland — a nation-state envisaged by its founders to reflect the best of Jewish and democratic values. And I believe Aipac for many years has not only become a rubber stamp on the right-wing policies of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which has resulted in tens of thousands of Israeli settlers now ensconced in the heart of the West Bank, imperiling Israel as a democracy. Aipac has also been responsible for making support for Israel a Republican cause, not a bipartisan issue, which poses a real danger to Israel’s support in America in the long run, and particularly on college campuses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/opinion/israel-ilhan-omar.amp.html

How is talking about AIPAC's influence, not a discussion about Netanyahu's aparthide state where no 1 state or 2 state solution is on the table?

You cannot be loyal to our country and then, for the purpose of defending Israel, support infringing on our citizens' constitutional rights to free political speech.

That's what 52 of 53 Republicans and 28 of 45 Democrats just did with the recent anti-BDS bill.

Ilhan Omar, Aipac and Me

But that is also where our differences begin.

I don’t like Aipac because I strongly believe in the right of the Jewish people to build a nation-state in their ancient homeland — a nation-state envisaged by its founders to reflect the best of Jewish and democratic values. And I believe Aipac for many years has not only become a rubber stamp on the right-wing policies of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which has resulted in tens of thousands of Israeli settlers now ensconced in the heart of the West Bank, imperiling Israel as a democracy. Aipac has also been responsible for making support for Israel a Republican cause, not a bipartisan issue, which poses a real danger to Israel’s support in America in the long run, and particularly on college campuses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/opinion/israel-ilhan-omar.amp.html

How is talking about AIPAC's influence, not a discussion about Netanyahu's aparthide state where no 1 state or 2 state solution is on the table?
Is the last paragraph a point of disagreement with the article?

Is the last paragraph a point of disagreement with the article?

No, that is me pointing out that many American Jews do not support AIPAC.

That we shouldn't conflate Jews, or the idea of Israel with the Israeli lobby.

Clearly, Bernie Sanders is an anti-semite.

I, a non-Jew, stand in solidarity with all of the other non-Jews(like Kevin McCarthy) in complete outrage over this.

Look at how Bernie cowers like he did to those BLM girls.

Oh wait, that is everyone else cowering from the Israeli lobby.

Just like with Saudi Arabia, Bernie doesn't cower from foreign lobbying groups.

Big Dick Bernie, showing who the cowards actually are, once again.

Discuss.........

Bernie is showing balls for sure.

But as a big Bernie supporter, how does it feel to know that the DNC is going to screw him over again and he won't be the candidate? I'm not trying to be snide, it's a serious question: I imagine I would be pretty disillusioned at the DNC.

I go into the Bernie subreddit and see he has a ton of very loyal support. But for whatever reason the DNC doesn't want him.

A jew sticking up for a proud jew hater. Interdasting.

Bernie is showing balls for sure.

But as a big Bernie supporter, how does it feel to know that the DNC is going to screw him over again and he won't be the candidate? I'm not trying to be snide, it's a serious question: I imagine I would be pretty disillusioned at the DNC.

I go into the Bernie subreddit and see he has a ton of very loyal support. But for whatever reason the DNC doesn't want him.

I haven't seen anything yet, that makes me think the DNC is trying to stop him.

Bernie has political camps on the left that are against him, but I see no evidence that Tom Perez is acting against Bernie.

The media? Oh yeah, for sure.

Of course you got guys like Greenwald, and Taibbi pretty openly shilling for Bernie, so he isn't locked out by the MSM.

The DNC? I haven't seen it yet, and I have reason to believe that Perez is not hostile to Bernie. Perez didn't oppose getting rid of superdelegates as an example.

Now this isn't to say that I don't think Perez is corrupt at all, or that he isn't a neo-liberal, just that this isn't DWS and Brazille, people with clear conflicts of interest, running the DNC.

You cannot be loyal to our country and then, for the purpose of defending Israel, support infringing on our citizens' constitutional rights to free political speech.

That's what 52 of 53 Republicans and 28 of 45 Democrats just did with the recent anti-BDS bill.
MilkyContentFish-small.gif

We ”support” many countries. Pretending what we have with Israel is “support” with the same general meaning is being gullible and foolish. You hide behind vocabulary as if that’s all that is needed to prove similarity.

We ”support” many countries. Pretending what we have with Israel is “support” with the same general meaning is being gullible and foolish. You hide behind vocabulary as if that’s all that is needed to prove similarity.

This is Harris' quote. If she meant to say that she agreed with Omar, she could have said so clearly and concisely. You think she was speaking in code?

Ilhan Omar, Aipac and Me

Talking about AIPAC's influence is fine, just like talking about the NRA is fine. It's how you do it.

I read Friedman's piece yesterday. My sense is that Friedman doesn't really have a problem with the success of AIPAC, but that it pushes an agenda he doesn't like.

FWIW, Israel isn't an apartheid state. It's in occupation of disputed territory. There's a big difference.

Back