Let's get racist

My club's all white, with the exception of myself (half savage' as the French would say).

I'm surprised to see how many racial jokes came out of a fairly serious thread. I'll just let the ignorant stay ignorant.

I am one of the only Black students in my academy and I live in the heart of Southern California. I have noticed a lack of interest in from Black community in Jiu-jitsu and have been unable to pinpoint. Many of my friends who have shown an interest in martial arts tend to train in Boxing or Muay Thai. I would like to hear anyone from Lloyd Irvin's academy because they seem to have a large Black student base.

???? what racial jokes, i read the entire thread and so far it has been pretty civil. Each race gravitates to what they are naturally (gentically) good at. So therefore you see a lot of black people in Basketball (13% of the US population YET 85% of the NBA)! How can you account for those numbers? tons of white kids play basketball growing up but they clearly are not ON average as good as blacks at the game. There is a reason for this yet no one wants to say it.

That is reality.

Just like most throwing sports/weightlifting/shot put/javelin are dominated by whites. And most hand eye coordination sports (ping pong/badminton etc) plus sports that require a lot of flexibility (gymnastics/figure skating) asians do really well at or dominate.

People need to learn reality not the myth that all myths about races are myths ;)

In my gym it's mostly japanese. A couple of white's and one colored as far as I can tell. I prefer it stay that way.

One coloured :rolleyes:, ok driving miss Daisy

We dont want to many Gaijins flooding your gym :icon_conf

One coloured :rolleyes:, ok driving miss Daisy

We dont want to many Gaijins flooding your gym :icon_conf

Definitely not! Gaijin smell and they use knee on belly too much. "Black people" ( <---is that safe to use) are generally just to explosive on the mat. No technique. I like them. I grew up all around them. I even have black friends. TWO! But, you can't roll with too many of them. Just too dangerous. That's my opinion from personal experience. If you feel differently we can always agree to disagree. :redface:

That actually probably doesn't suprise me. I think it is probably similar to something like skiing where it is mostly based off of culture and location. Now MMA I've found is a very mixed bunch, but gi BJJ I would tend to agree seems predominantly white, oriental, or obviously brazilian.

Just like most throwing sports/weightlifting/shot put/javelin are dominated by whites. And most hand eye coordination sports (ping pong/badminton etc) plus sports that require a lot of flexibility (gymnastics/figure skating) asians do really well at or dominate.

People need to learn reality not the myth that all myths about races are myths ;)

Preposterous.

A. I don't see a connection between upper body strength and grappling past the point of normal average strength required to do anything athletic. I don't recall seeing a lot of brazilian strongman winners. I don't recall seeing a lot of Norwegian wrestling and grappling champions. Wrestling is more about speed than upper body strength anyway.

B. I kinda doubt there is a natural advantage in upper body strength for caucasions.

It is a much more likely that the reason you don't see many black guys is because they don't value the sport. It is not popular in the culture, like swimming and tennis. What is your theory on tennis? Black guys aren't as fast/coordinated/agile as suburban white kids?

China is good at gymnatiscs because that is a sport they value. America sucks at soccer because all of our best athletes are football and basketball players (because that is what we value)...

There are some races that are inherently disadvantaged at some sports, obviously. Japanese guys aren't usually 6'8, so they probably arent going to be good at basketball. But saying that black guys are somehow at an athletic disadvantage in grappling is kinda ridiculous.

calibur said:
"Black people" ( <---is that safe to use) are generally just to explosive on the mat. No technique. I like them. I grew up all around them. I even have black friends. TWO! But, you can't roll with too many of them. Just too dangerous.;)

not sure if serious...

My first school was majority white, with a biracial instructor, one black student who dropped off after a while and one Guatemalan who was a regular. To the best of my knowledge anyone there that looked white was white (i.e. no hidden ethnicities) so white people made up 90%+ of the students.

At my current school there is a black black belt, a black purple belt, some definitely hispanic guys, some guys that may be white or hispanic (it's tough to tell sometimes) and the rest are white (probably over 85%).

I could be misremembering numbers, I live in a diverse community so I don't notice when someone is non-white in most situations.

???? what racial jokes, i read the entire thread and so far it has been pretty civil. Each race gravitates to what they are naturally (gentically) good at. So therefore you see a lot of black people in Basketball (13% of the US population YET 85% of the NBA)! How can you account for those numbers? tons of white kids play basketball growing up but they clearly are not ON average as good as blacks at the game. There is a reason for this yet no one wants to say it.

That is reality.

:eek:Obviously you have never driven or walked down the street in an Asian country. Hand eye coordination my ass.

So, something has been on my mind lately and this is probably the best place to do some research. I've noticed that at the gym that I train at, 99 percent of the people are white. There was a black guy who attended for a few weeks and an asian guy who attends regularly, but that's it. Last year I went to a college that was pretty much all white students with a few minority students. This year, it's the complete opposite, white students are the minority. I've lived on campus at both schools and at my previous school, there wasn't many other grapplers besides myself BUT many people had a basic knowledge AND interest in BJJ/MMA. However, here at my new school it seems like NOBODY has knowledge or an interest. I guess what I'm trying to find out is, how much diversity have you experienced in grappling. What's your gym like? I'm trying to find out if I'm alone in this or maybe it's just where I live...either way I'd love to hear feedback.
60% white, 30% Latino, the rest black, asian an indian (Feathers not dots) and a midget (kidding)

Preposterous.

A. I don't see a connection between upper body strength and grappling past the point of normal average strength required to do anything athletic. I don't recall seeing a lot of brazilian strongman winners. I don't recall seeing a lot of Norwegian wrestling and grappling champions. Wrestling is more about speed than upper body strength anyway.

B. I kinda doubt there is a natural advantage in upper body strength for caucasions.

It is a much more likely that the reason you don't see many black guys is because they don't value the sport. It is not popular in the culture, like swimming and tennis. What is your theory on tennis? Black guys aren't as fast/coordinated/agile as suburban white kids?

China is good at gymnatiscs because that is a sport they value. America sucks at soccer because all of our best athletes are football and basketball players (because that is what we value)...

There are some races that are inherently disadvantaged at some sports, obviously. Japanese guys aren't usually 6'8, so they probably arent going to be good at basketball. But saying that black guys are somehow at an athletic disadvantage in grappling is kinda ridiculous.

not sure if serious...

Really you think so? I really suggest opening your eyes a little bit. I did not say northern europeans are the best grapplers but Wrestling did come from whites in europe correct? mainly the Greeks with pankration. BUT northern europeans DO DOMINATE field events and strongman competitions. In fact in the shot put something like 46 of the top 50 records are held by whites.

The first white person EVER to run under a 10 second 100meter was this french runner and that HAPPENED Summer 2010!!! The FIRST AND ONLY white guy to run an under 10 second 100 meter.

Now you are going to tell me that ONLY blacks have certain advantages in sports? that is what I call BS. ALL The best ping pong players and badminton players are Chinese and it is not because it is a sport they value. They are naturally good at it. Just because you don't hear about it doesnt mean there arent TONS of competitive ping pong/badminton players in the US.

Of course there are outliers but I am talking about the averages. Why is it that tons of blacks dont even workoutm, eat like crap YET they are chiseled and have 6 packs? that is Genetics my friend. Northern Europeans have a natural later of fat that covers their body from living in a COLD climate.

Everything can be explained from environment and evolution. On average whites have more upper body strength than blacks/asians. Just because they don't look cut or chiseled does not mean they are not stronger FYI.

Really you think so? I really suggest opening your eyes a little bit. I did not say northern europeans are the best grapplers but Wrestling did come from whites in europe correct? mainly the Greeks with pankration. BUT northern europeans DO DOMINATE field events and strongman competitions. In fact in the shot put something like 46 of the top 50 records are held by whites.

The first white person EVER to run under a 10 second 100meter was this french runner and that HAPPENED Summer 2010!!! The FIRST AND ONLY white guy to run an under 10 second 100 meter.

Now you are going to tell me that ONLY blacks have certain advantages in sports? that is what I call BS. ALL The best ping pong players and badminton players are Chinese and it is not because it is a sport they value. They are naturally good at it. Just because you don't hear about it doesnt mean there arent TONS of competitive ping pong/badminton players in the US.

Of course there are outliers but I am talking about the averages. Why is it that tons of blacks dont even workoutm, eat like crap YET they are chiseled and have 6 packs? that is Genetics my friend. Northern Europeans have a natural later of fat that covers their body from living in a COLD climate.

Everything can be explained from environment and evolution. On average whites have more upper body strength than blacks/asians. Just because they don't look cut or chiseled does not mean they are not stronger FYI.

Everything you say may be true (I really don't know). What I do know is that having a slight advantage in upper body strength does not make you more equipped to grapple, especially bjj. There are tons of black champion wrestlers, btw.

I said, there are some built in advanatges for some sports. But to argue that teh reason there are not as many black bjj players is because of genetic disadvanatge, well... I just don't think that holds water at all. Namely because, upper body strength is not much of a grappling factor (otherwise you would see a lot more stoutly built bjj champions, and a lot less Ryan Hall types)... but also because any disadvantage is very slight, not like the difference between a white guy and a chinese guy on average. And it would not explain the lack of recreational involvement- if it were true and it were relevant to bjj, it could explain the lack of black world champions though.

Everything you say may be true (I really don't know). What I do know is that having a slight advantage in upper body strength does not make you more equipped to grapple, especially bjj. There are tons of black champion wrestlers, btw.

I said, there are some built in advanatges for some sports. But to argue that teh reason there are not as many black bjj players is because of genetic disadvanatge, well... I just don't think that holds water at all. Namely because, upper body strength is not much of a grappling factor (otherwise you would see a lot more stoutly built bjj champions, and a lot less Ryan Hall types)... but also because any disadvantage is very slight, not like the difference between a white guy and a chinese guy on average. And it would not explain the lack of recreational involvement- if it were true and it were relevant to bjj, it could explain the lack of black world champions though.

i can somewhat agree with you there. BJJ obviously is not all physical and is probably 99% mental at the top of the game. But what you can't argue with is that most of all the BJJ champions are white or what the brazilians term as Prado (mix of white/black, white/indian/ black/indian/Asian etc.)

But you must admit the difference between the TOP guys at any sport is milliseconds apart and having a genetic advantage (naturally more strength in their upper body) then that can account for the white domination at the top of the BJJ game.

And people please don't say its because of poverty or that Brasilians are not white but brasilian. 56 to 58 % of the Brazilian population is caucasion 30%+ is prado (mixed) and only like 6% is pure black/african.

Will give you examples: wanderlei silva is obviously mixed with Indian even though he has white skin

Mauricio Rua on the other hand seems to be 100% european (wether that be portgueuse/german/italian etc)

Anderson silva, although brasilian is clearly black.

Andre Galvao is Prado, looks possibly to be mixed between black/white/indian or maybe just black/indian.

That is the 3 differences in a heavily mixed society like Brasil.

Just for a footnote, I am trying be scientific here NOT viewing any one race better than another.

When I stopped by John Frankl's gym in Seoul South Korea, I was the only non-Korean rolling. I was a minority.

I visited JF's affiliate in Apgujeong for a couple of weeks earlier this year and there were a lot of Americans there. There was always someone there to translate for me and JF (who I met once) was very helpful. It was good times.

Definitely not! Gaijin smell and they use knee on belly too much. "Black people" ( <---is that safe to use) are generally just to explosive on the mat. No technique. I like them. I grew up all around them. I even have black friends. TWO! But, you can't roll with too many of them. Just too dangerous. That's my opinion from personal experience. If you feel differently we can always agree to disagree. :redface:

:) I will be going back to my old gym in Japan in November if all goes well. Can't wait.

i can somewhat agree with you there. BJJ obviously is not all physical and is probably 99% mental at the top of the game. But what you can't argue with is that most of all the BJJ champions are white or what the brazilians term as Prado (mix of white/black, white/indian/ black/indian/Asian etc.)

But you must admit the difference between the TOP guys at any sport is milliseconds apart and having a genetic advantage (naturally more strength in their upper body) then that can account for the white domination at the top of the BJJ game.

I attribute the lack of black champions to the lack of overall participation in the sport, not because of a genetic disadvantage. If there were more black participants, there would be more black champions. I would expect it to look more like wrestling, where the number of black champions is pretty close to the population as a whole (there is no genetic advantage or disadvantage). Then I attribute the lack of participation to the lack of interest/culture.

Being a champion usually involves having some freak ability that no one else has, not so much physical gifts, as the ability to use your specific physique. I think it is the same way in wrestling. A guy like Cael Sanderson, he was not the strongest or fastest, he just had freak timing and really knew how to set up a shot that worked really well for his long arms. Same thing with Roger or Marcelo IMO. Polar opposite physiques... but they have balance and timing and know how to maximize their tools.

I live in Germany and I am the only non-German in my judo class.
However I'm French Canadian so my dojo is 100% white, which is actually normal for Germany. It is a pretty homogenous society.

From what I saw concerning wrestling clubs in Germany: predominantly ex-Soviets (Russians, Chechens and Armenians) and Persians.

LOL, calling a black person "explosive" in jiu-jitsu is the equivalent of calling them "articulate" when they talk to you. Such a backhanded compliment.

We've got 1 African-American, 1 Asian-American, and 1 Mexican-American. The rest of us are crackers.

Back